Page 306 of 725 FirstFirst ... 206256296304305306307308316356406 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,060 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That makes an intuitive sense where you can imagine a critical illness puts a lot of strain on a body, a body with more fat reserves has more energy for burning even in a low energy state (I guess think hibernating bears)...that’s just my hypothesis, dunno if it really would work that way.

But what you’re saying is, if I get cancer, I should get real fat right after diagnosis, before I start chemo? Awesome news from (not my) cardiologist!
    That's the theory behind it, higher resistance to catabolic stress. I would say that some authorities dispute the presence of obesity paradox but, last I looked, the data was compelling.

May be not a bad idea, considering what chemo does to people's body mass. That said, fuck cancer.

@Jay585: no, didn't mean to imply that. I've seen keto diet do crazy things to people's cholesterol but I don't have anything to say that it translates into some acute risk.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Gotcha. I had taken it to mean that being on keto meant being more susceptible to catching the virus.
    Not even the same family of virii, but an interesting data point nonetheless.

The ketogenic diet -- which for people includes meat, fish, poultry, and non-starchy vegetables -- activates a subset of T cells in the lungs not previously associated with the immune system's response to influenza, enhancing mucus production from airway cells that can effectively trap the virus, the researchers report.
    The most important caveat here, however, being the ever-present IN MICE caveat.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/upl...0/EO_20-70.pdf

“A. I hereby direct all persons whose point of departure originates from outside the
    State of Florida in an area with substantial community spread, to include the New York Tri-State Area (Connecticut, New Jersey and New York), and entering the State of Florida through airports to isolate or quarantine for a period of 14 days from the time of entry into the State of Florida or the duration of the person's presence in the State of Florida, whichever is shorter. This Order shall not apply to persons employed by the airlines and those performing military, emergency or health response.”

Seems reasonable to me.
    So they can still drive or take a boat in and avoid quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And HP customer support which I guess I won't be hearing back from anytime soon. (I had been working with someone over there on diagnosing an issue.)
    I'm sorry but Windows 98 will not support the drivers for your dot-matrix printer.

The state of NC has issued a plea for anyone with medical training to volunteer. It was sent out via the web site we use for training. OEMS is involved. I'm trying to figure out how to post the letter up.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    So they can still drive or take a boat in and avoid quarantine?
    No, all those people arrive in Florida from Cuba.

*rimshot*

Sorry, it was a hanging curve ball too good to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Not even the same family of virii, but an interesting data point nonetheless.

The most important caveat here, however, being the ever-present IN MICE caveat.
    I bounce through carnivore, keto, and then a few days of fruits in like 30/60/7 days each then start it over. I can say that the mice I've encountered have never been more envious!
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

It worked, sorta

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I just heard that Florida has banned (is denying entry) people from NY, NJ & CT.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I guess my question is - how are they doing that?
    Voight-Kampff testing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Because being (somewhat) overweight appears to have some benefit on an individual level when facing a critical illness.
    Probably related - Runners and cyclists try to maintain the lowest body fat percentage they can consistent with good health. That's why many of us resemble concentration camp survivors from the waist up; lots of upper body muscle is just that much more useless weight you have to carry uphill. As one ages, the percentage of body fat required to maintain good health increases.

User Tag List