Page 555 of 725 FirstFirst ... 55455505545553554555556557565605655 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,550 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Torsius View Post
    Sweden’s death rate is over 11 times that of Norway. Given the fact that they share a peninsula, I think that’s a better comparison. Sweden’s economy is still in the crapper, so I think their experiment was largely a failure.

What they have to do with California, I fail to see. When they have the trans-pacific trade California has as well as a border with a third-world county it will be a valid comparison.
    While they may share a peninsula, Norway is pretty different from Sweden. It is an oil-rich nation with just 13% immigrant population. Sweden is a timber & iron nation with immigrants comprising 32% of the population.

And California isn't like Norway either. We've managed to combine the loss of freedom of lockdown with almost all the worst effects of laissez faire. Unlike Sweden, public officials and health experts have lost a lot of credibility with obvious politically motivated lies (e.g. "don't wear masks" "ok, wear a mask, but not an N95" "Stay at home, protesting the lockdown is irresponsible" "George Floyd protests are understandable so contact tracers will be forbidden from asking subjects about participation in BLM protests").

In that environment, is it any wonder many non Democrats aren't listening to advice/orders to wear masks?

California's May unemployment rate: 16%
    Sweden's May unemployment rate: 9%
    California is projecting a GDP decline of ~19% for the year.
    Sweden is projecting a GDP decline of ~5% for the year.

If in 1 year the Swedish fatality rate is less than 2x that of California's I'll consider Sweden's experiment in freedom a resounding success (and so far it looks probable).

Sweden compares poorly with Denmark and Finland as well. Is it more like California than those countries as well?

I have no particular love for California’s handling of the pandemic. There are arguments that any lockdown is unjustifiable financially. But this thread is to help advance knowledge of the virus, and your apples to grapefruit comparison isn’t really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    While they may share a peninsula, Norway is pretty different from Sweden. It is an oil-rich nation with just 13% immigrant population. Sweden is a timber & iron nation with immigrants comprising 32% of the population.

And California isn't like Norway either. We've managed to combine the loss of freedom of lockdown with almost all the worst effects of laissez faire. Unlike Sweden, public officials and health experts have lost a lot of credibility with obvious politically motivated lies (e.g. "don't wear masks" "ok, wear a mask, but not an N95" "Stay at home, protesting the lockdown is irresponsible" "George Floyd protests are understandable so contact tracers will be forbidden from asking subjects about participation in BLM protests").

In that environment, is it any wonder many non Democrats aren't listening to advice/orders to wear masks?

California's May unemployment rate: 16%
    Sweden's May unemployment rate: 9%
    California is projecting a GDP decline of ~19% for the year.
    Sweden is projecting a GDP decline of ~5% for the year.

If in 1 year the Swedish fatality rate is less than 2x that of California's I'll consider Sweden's experiment in freedom a resounding success (and so far it looks probable).
    Keep in mind "social distancing" is a way of life in Sweden compared to latin countries...

Site Supporter
    Last edited by Bigguy; 07-02-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Who the hell cares what they're doing in Sweden. What we should care about is what the state and fed gov't are doing in the US to combat covid.

So far these states are losing. Highest per capita infection then any other area in the US. That would be NY, NJ, RI, MS, DC, CT. Those are the top 6.

I keep seeing CA, AZ, TX and FL in the news. Those are way down the list.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...cans-by-state/

I'm not sure the adm is even worried about this. They seemed to be focused on statues. Herman Cain went to a Trump rally. He's got Covid and in the hospital. Hope he makes it thru.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Who the hell cares what they're doing in Sweden. What we should care about is what the state and fed gov't are doing in the US to combat covid.

So far these states are losing. Highest per capita infection then any other area in the US. That would be NY, NJ, RI, MS, DC, CT. Those are the top 6.

I'm not sure the adm is even worried about this. They seemed to be focused on statues. Herman Cain went to a Trump rally. He's got Covid and in the hospital. Hope he makes it thru.
    Incredible. What a dope I am. I never even thought about it on a state by state per capita basis. I don't feel as bad about MI now.

Just to be clear, these are totals, including the time in the past when the east coast was getting wrecked. These are not current daily cases.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Just to be clear, these are totals, including the time in the past when the east coast was getting wrecked. These are not current daily cases.
    Yup, give it a month and those states at the top are going to be a lot lower than they are now based on how people are acting around here. We’re setting records for most cases in a day and most hospitalizations (currently 797) every 2-3 days. In three weeks after the holiday weekend Alabama is going to be a lot higher than number 14 on the list.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

You're an intelligent person, so I'm sure that you know exactly why the news consistently bleats about CA, AZ, TX and FL. Hint.... Its nothing to do about information, but making political points.

I'm not privy to the Admin, since I thankfully dont work there, but I believe that the COVID task force is still up and running. Pretty sure that the MSM would be bleating heavily about how the evil orange man has disbanded the group that was saving the world... The MSM decided to not broadcast those briefings anymore. I believe they are still available on the web, youtube... if you have the patience to sit through them.

The only folks focused on statues and BLM and what not are the media. The media does NOT represent or present the information they believe will help the nation. They present information and stories that help sell ads and push a narrative. Right now BLM and all the asshattery associated with them is what catches folks' attention and so its what gets the focus.

WRT what is happening in Sweden or Timbuktoo, I agree with you. Information sharing is always important, but randomly comparing death stats, infection rates... is not a valid comparison IMO. There are more things that factor into disease spreads than we like to admit. Social, cultural, economic, geographic distinctions all play a part. You cant ignore those.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    ]but I believe that the COVID task force is still up and running. Pretty sure that the MSM would be bleating heavily about how the evil orange man has disbanded the group that was saving the world... The MSM decided to not broadcast those briefings anymore. \
    The White House stopped holding briefings for two months once infection rates on the east coast trailed off in late April. Now that they're back on, without Trump, a couple of times a week.

so I'm sure that you know exactly why the news consistently bleats about CA, AZ, TX and FL.
    Because the east coast blue states already had their outbreaks, with tons of deaths, but have far fewer daily cases now.

User Tag List