Page 331 of 725 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341381431 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Well, I would like to hear some reasoning on why that many vents would be needed. Not saying they aren't, just want some justification.
    If you follow NY Gov Cuomo conferences they have addressed this, I've been following NY & NJ Gov's news conferences because I figure what they are going through now is what we here in midwest will be experiencing soon.

Short version all the models they have from CDC etc for peak wave of people needing medical intervention suggest they will need that many vents.

They are keeping the bulk of them in centralized storage because it functions akin to military reserve forces that you keep back to plug into the breaches.

There is no way to know ahead of time if this hospital will need 100 vents and that one 150.

HTH

@Nephrology, or @pangloss , or anyone who might know:
    Conference call with State health officials last night, they asked if he had been around cattle. They are stating that it can jump to cattle. This could be very bad news indeed if true. Certainly in my state at least.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Gov Cuomo admits NY has ventilators in stockpile:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...d-ventilators/

Site Supporter
    Better, if available...

Name:  Hook.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  46.4 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    If you follow NY Gov Cuomo conferences they have addressed this, I've been following NY & NJ Gov's news conferences because I figure what they are going through now is what we here in midwest will be experiencing soon.

Short version all the models they have from CDC etc for peak wave of people needing medical intervention suggest they will need that many vents.

They are keeping the bulk of them in centralized storage because it functions akin to military reserve forces that you keep back to plug into the breaches.

There is no way to know ahead of time if this hospital will need 100 vents and that one 150.

HTH
    Good info, so how are they calculating the required number of 30k?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    They're using refrigerated trucks at the loading dock to store the dead for some of the hospitals in NYC.
    Just like here in the 1995 heat wave... those trailers, and their replacements as they aged, were and are a part of our local response resources.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Good info, so how are they calculating the required number of 30k?
    Likely based on estimates of total # of infected and applying what we know about the % of cases that require ICU level care. These have held pretty stable across multiple countries.

Given how many intubated patients there are at Cornell Weill already, 30k seems like a totally reasonable estimate of folks who will require ventilation over the course of this pandemic. This will vary a lot based on how long this pandemic lasts, if it has a seasonal pattern, and how well we are able to use public health measures to slow the spread of the virus.

Gov Cuomo admits NY has ventilators in stockpile:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...d-ventilators/
    Just because they have a small stockpile now doesn't mean they don't need thousands more. The peak is expected in 2-3 weeks. This isn't the peak now.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Just because they have a small stockpile now doesn't mean they don't need thousands more. The peak is expected in 2-3 weeks. This isn't the peak now.
    Yeah that is the part that fucks with my head the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Just because they have a small stockpile now doesn't mean they don't need "thousands" more. The peak is expected in 2-3 weeks. This isn't the peak now.
    I didn't see anything about how many they had, just thousands...don't know, but if they're already running one per two patients...why nor break them out? They're doing nobody any good sitting in storage.

User Tag List