Page 330 of 725 FirstFirst ... 230280320328329330331332340380430 ... LastLast
Results 3,291 to 3,300 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Not a chance. The biggest issue will be shoulder injuries from self back patting. They are where they are from not doing hard things, staying out of the ugly, and taking credit for the positive work of others and blaming the negatives on the front line people.....who often were failures because of failures to rain, equip, retain and hire by the exact same folks.
    Yeah... you are probably right about this. Peter principle at work...

For those skeptical about the numbers from China......
    ---------------------------------------------
    A spate of mysterious second-time infections is calling into question the accuracy of COVID-19 diagnostic tools even as China prepares to lift quarantine measures to allow residents to leave the epicenter of its outbreak next month. It's also raising concerns of a possible second wave of cases.

From March 18-22, the Chinese city of Wuhan reported no new cases of the virus through domestic transmission — that is, infection passed on from one person to another. The achievement was seen as a turning point in efforts to contain the virus, which has infected more than 80,000 people in China. Wuhan was particularly hard-hit, with more than half of all confirmed cases in the country.

But some Wuhan residents who had tested positive earlier and then recovered from the disease are testing positive for the virus a second time. Based on data from several quarantine facilities in the city, which house patients for further observation after their discharge from hospitals, about 5%-10% of patients pronounced "recovered" have tested positive again.

Some of those who retested positive appear to be asymptomatic carriers — those who carry the virus and are possibly infectious but do not exhibit any of the illness's associated symptoms — suggesting that the outbreak in Wuhan is not close to being over.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-then-positive

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Here are a few quotes to get your blood pressure up this morning. Source

Great, now I need a Valium.

Could you not consider it as an assault if an administrator ripped a mask off your face? I hate to think of how I would react if one of our administrators did that to me

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Great, now I need a Valium.

Could you not consider it as an assault if an administrator ripped a mask off your face? I hate to think of how I would react if one of our administrators did that to me
    Maybe a few anonymous emails to the press would be in order

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Totally fair question, I have no idea, but you can't discount the ability to set up field hospitals, house people in rooms that aren't a regular hospital bed etc. I have no doubt they will find the space to use the machines if needed. The alternative is to let people drown in their own fluid...
    What I'm especially concerned about is shortage of staffing - not just vents. Like @ccmdfd mentioned, these patients are very sick and require a lot of attention and medical care beyond simply their vent settings.

Ventilators are simply a very stark go/no go bottleneck. If you're out of vents and a new patient needs one, there is no way that someone does not die unless they can be transferred somewhere else.

Ventilators are simply a very stark go/no go bottleneck. If you're out of vents and a new patient needs one, there is no way that someone does not die unless they can be transferred somewhere else.
    "For want of a nail..."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Live on the conference call now.

According to our division chief (outgoing president of ATS, the american pulmonary/critical care professional society), the Cornell Weill health system has 260 intubated COVID patients. 80 intubated COVID patients at NY Presby alone.

@ccmdfd

Live on the conference call now.

According to our division chief (outgoing president of ATS, the american pulmonary/critical care professional society), the Cornell Weill health system has 260 intubated COVID patients. 80 intubated COVID patients at NY Presby alone.

@ccmdfd
    Ouch!!!

We just got our 1st two ICU patients with confirmed disease. One of them was a nursing home resident.

cc

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    For those skeptical about the numbers from China......
    ---------------------------------------------

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-then-positive
    I’ll add just one more quote for those who don’t click the link:

In February, Wang Chen, a director at the state-run Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, estimated that the nucleic acid tests used in China were accurate at identifying positive cases of the coronavirus only 30%-50% of the time.

Site Supporter
    Lessons learned

Name:  4F6E47F6-4E95-43DB-A097-CB01F32BEAF9.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  41.6 KB

User Tag List