Page 130 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230630 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    3/15/2016

Well, West Chester University (where the youngest daughter is currently enrolled) has cancelled in person classes and moved her to online coursework. Super cool and all but no mention of the monetary difference of said classes nor that we paid her room and board for the semester already and what reimbursement will be.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I was National Guard in NYS for a awhile, and responded to several state activations for emergencies. I was an MP.

I can pretty much promise these troops will be unarmed. When actually working hand-in-hand with NYSP to prevent looting post hurricane Sandy on long island we were unarmed. State level NG brass is always concerned about the optics.

I'll ask some buddies and see whats going on. I deployed with the primary MP unit from the guard based in NYC and was in the more or less go to unit for activations based out of JFHQ Latham.

-Cory
    I was with the PA Guard in NYC for Sandy and can verify that while given the "shout, show, shove, shoot" escalation of force debrief we were never even close to weapons while there.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This one another grisly report from Italy in the trenches.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...077697538.html
    @Sensei called it:

"We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask. "
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    I was with the PA Guard in NYC for Sandy and can verify that while given the "shout, show, shove, shoot" escalation of force debrief we were never even close to weapons while there.
    In the event that the virus gets much worse, I’m worried about the difference in fear levels and inappropriate responses (by the public and by authorities) vs something like the aftermath of a big weather event. I’m also worried about a governor hell-bent on being more “serious” about the situation than the feds have been.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Yeah. The old MP 5. As in five fingers held out and the word stop.

The buddy I reached out to confirmed the Guard was headed down there, but he wasn't activated. He's working his "civilian" job with DHLS and on the road.

I'll reach out to another buddy that IS going on this activation, but again I highly doubt the NG are doing any enforcment. More likely they'll back up NYSP if they must but are otherwise a deterrent simply by being present.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by ratter75 View Post
    WHEN the virus gets much worse, I’m worried about the difference in fear levels and inappropriate responses (by the public and by authorities) vs something like the aftermath of a big weather event. I’m also worried about a governor hell-bent on being more “serious” about the situation than the feds have been.
    Fixed it for you.

There is no "in the event of". It is merely a matter of days at this point - a couple of weeks at most. We ignored all the warning signs on a Federal level and as a society. The words coming out of Italy should be all the warning any of us needs and we're choosing to ignore them right now.

People are already dying here in the U.S. and many more will join them soon.

Don't worry about the governor of the National Guard, worry about whether your family can be minimally exposed and take steps to do it.

South Dakota with 5 confirmed cases, one death.
    The gentleman who passed had underlying conditions.
    All info from the Governor's news conference.

All 5 cases from people who have traveled recently, not specified if domestic or international.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Here's the whole thing.... Thanks for posting..

The link should start where TC's video ends, roughly. Have not watched the rest yet... Hopefully there's some hope in there... I'm feeling pretty gloomy right now.

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw?t=909
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    If you have asthma, you do not want to wait at all if you were to start developing symptoms. That's one of the worst things that you can do.

I've seen patients who have very mild, almost didn't even know they had asthma go from being fine to on a ventilator in the Intensive Care Unit in less than 24 hours with a viral infection, or other infection.

Does she have a local pulmonologist?

At the first sign of trouble I would be calling their office. We've been knowing about this virus for some time and all office should be, and emphasis is on should, making plans for how to handle patients in this situation in order to minimize their exposure but get them on appropriate treatment as soon as possible.

Of course I say that with our office not having done anything yet.

Best of luck to you and her
    A follow-on thank you for this one.

She does not have a pulmonologist here, but agreed to go to her GP her last issued her inhalers for a follow-up, new scripts, and to have them note within the records the pre-existing condition. Her GP is here in the same medical complex/hospital that we are most likely to attend in the event of an emergency. She will talk with them about prioritizing in the event that she becomes symptomatic.

Getting her to agree to see a doctor is like yanking teeth. I was able to push her on it, because of your points.

User Tag List