Page 43 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143543 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Speaking of TB, doesn’t one need to be exposed to TB on a regular basis to contract it vs a one time exposure?
    My wife is was a doctor in Mexico were TB is more common. I believe she was even vaccinated against it.
    You have to be in relatively close contact with a sick person who is actively contagious. It is not as easy to catch as flu. But

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Actually, it’s fucking bullshit because all those cartoons don’t communicate the requirement nearly as effectively as the fine print on the bottom of the page.
    Making everything in pictures in healthcare is a big trend because most people are stupid (I am for sure) and will not do the right thing unless you make it incredibly painfully obvious.

Also, re: the Ace receptor thing/caucasian ethnicity, lol definitely don't bet the farm on it.

Site Supporter
    Just reading back up thread...
    Wuhan population density = ~4,400 persons per square km
    Population density where I live = ~365 persons per square km

I'm not an epidemiologist, but it stands to reason that the virus will not spread as easily in less densely populated areas.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Well, I’m certainly no doctor, medical professional, or even remotely knowledgeable of “graphical linguistics” but that doesn’t stop me from suspecting that using one, or maybe two — at the most, graphical depictions to communicate “no hair under the sealing surface” might be better than a 36 image facial hair configuration decoder ring. But maybe the absurdity of it is intentional.
    If you don't post their exact beard style do you think half the people will actually realize that their facial hair will get in the way of the seal? I for one doubt my fellow man...

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm gonna catch hell from momma, albeit, I'm used to that.
    The last time I shaved off my beard, my son said, "Daddy, I don't like your face. Put it back". Guess it won't be my 45 that gets me killed, on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    The last time I shaved off my beard, my son said, "Daddy, I don't like your face. Put it back". Guess it won't be my 45 that gets me killed, on the street.
    Not sure if I should put your death in the category of children, facial hair, covid-19, or... other?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Just reading back up thread...

I'm not an epidemiologist, but it stands to reason that the virus will not spread as easily in less densely populated areas.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Metro Denver is ~1560/km

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I'm impressed that a government infographic correctly assessed me as being in a band right now...especially since for every previous year I was in one, I had no beard. But it's JUST THAT PERCEPTIVE.

Back when I worked on the train tunnels for Vancouver's mass transit system, we had to periodically get fitted for gas masks, which were N100 when used with the normal cartridges, or organic vapour-proof with the other ones they sometimes handed out. Anyway, they had this chemical that would make you gag if you inhaled it, and you had to put on your mask and they would hold this little vial of it which gave off fumes and they would wave it around your head while you hoped your mask was fitting well.

One guy had a beard and wouldn't shave it, so he slathered vaseline all over his face and put the mask on overtop and it did seal perfectly but it looked so disgusting that personally, I'd probably just have accepted lung cancer or silicosis or whatever we were trying to avoid. Actually thinking back, I don't think anyone was very vigilant about wearing their masks when actually working, which is maybe why I have a chemical sensitivity to diesel fumes now. Scrubbers on all the stacks, but still...you're down in the tunnels for ten or twelve hours, you're inhaling something you shouldn't, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I have my towel!
    And we know the answer is 42!

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Actually, it’s fucking bullshit because all those cartoons don’t communicate the requirement nearly as effectively as the fine print on the bottom of the page.

Or maybe it does. Whatever. I’m 100% of European descent so I’ll be sitting this one out.

We must be related. My brother had this done at his was very nearly identical.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Metro Denver is ~1560/km
    Such metropolises's

The island I'm on is 24/km^2. But if you subtract the one big city down on the southern tip, which is separated from the rest of it by mountains with a single two-lane road, then it's about 17/km^2. On the other hand, we're a lot closer to a region with huge numbers of mainland chinese, so it may be worth it to retreat to the little island again for the summer.

I believe last year the population was 13 during our stay so hopefully I don't alienate other locals by increasing it to 14. Out of curiosity, I just measured the island using some of our mapping software at work here and it looks like it's almost exactly one square kilometer. I would have guessed more like three, so...shows what I know. I was going to boast that my summer place had single digit population density. But apparently it's crawling with the great unwashed.

And there's no running water so most of them literally are unwashed, I'm not disparaging anyone here. It's a legitimate descriptor.

Also I realize this was not a competition, I just enjoy tossing out various anecdotes.

User Tag List