Page 453 of 725 FirstFirst ... 353403443451452453454455463503553 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,530 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Also, a person without PPE being in close quarters with someone who has the virus? The rest of the family would be getting doused with viruses on a regular basis.
    Maybe. The 'viral load' idea has some traction but as far as I know 0 evidence to support it. Also wouldn't fully explain why some families all get mild/moderate illness.

Who knows, lots of observations and handwaving, but enough new and poorly understood pathophysiology to launch thousands of careers.

Site Supporter
    Apparently blood clotting is being observed at incredibly high levels by doctors treating coronavirus patients, and it is suspected as a possible cause of death.

https://www.wtae.com/article/doctors...ients/32229616

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Apparently blood clotting is being observed at incredibly high levels by doctors treating coronavirus patients, and it is suspected as a possible cause of death.

Yup, our lab is writing an article about it actually. Just wrote a draft of my section tonight

Seeing a lot more lovenox and vit D orders past 2 weeks.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

Didn’t they make a movie about this once.....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Seeing a lot more lovenox and vit D orders past 2 weeks.
    The Vit D thing is weird. We had a bunch of studies on Vit D in ICU patients as we were a center for the PETAL network trials. Pretty conclusively shown not to do anything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The Vit D thing is weird. We had a bunch of studies on Vit D in ICU patients as we were a center for the PETAL network trials. Pretty conclusively shown not to do anything.
    I found this one interesting. A study of studies.... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2855046/
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I found this one interesting. A study of studies.... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2855046/
    the PETAL network study I linked earlier (from 2019) was done to determine if there was any validity to the ideas advanced by the review you linked (2010) in the context of critical illness. The 2019 study is a prospective randomized controlled trial, which is the gold standard for clinical studies.

So far no dice. In general, Vitamin D in academic medicine is something of a big fad - I actually was around when that hypothesis really started to kick off in 2010. My research mentor at the time trained under this big wig at UCSF who came to give a talk on campus about it. Lots of basic science handwaving about T cell activation but no really persuasive clinical evidence AFAIK. Beyond replacement therapy for obvious vitamin D deficiency (eg chronic kidney disease) there doesn't seem to be much benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Didn’t they make a movie about this once.....
    Ugh. His book hasn’t been far from my mind since this all started.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yup, our lab is writing an article about it actually. Just wrote a draft of my section tonight
    FWIW here is my working draft of the section I am planning to publish. It's a very rough draft and I'm only writing a brief background blurb based on the little literature out there but maybe some of you will find it interesting.

User Tag List