Page 669 of 725 FirstFirst ... 169569619659667668669670671679719 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,690 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Vaccine news, but not political.

I'll be looking to take this one if I can find it.

FDA Releases Data On Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Before Key Vote
    Agency says vaccine about 94% effective for most people

he FDA’s 54-page report found the Moderna vaccine about 94% effective for most people, but the efficacy rate in people older than 65 was slightly lower at 86.4%. The analysis comes just two days before a meeting of the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee expected to recommend emergency approval.

The agency said Moderna’s shot was equal to Pfizer’s across racial, ethnic and gender groups, and that it also performed well in people with medical issues.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Vaccine news, but not political.

I'll be looking to take this one if I can find it.

FDA Releases Data On Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Before Key Vote
    Agency says vaccine about 94% effective for most people
    What made you decide thats the one you want? Looks a little less effective than the Pfizer. I'd be fine with either, but looks like Pfizer most likely what I'll get

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    What made you decide thats the one you want? Looks a little less effective than the Pfizer. I'd be fine with either, but looks like Pfizer most likely what I'll get
    I'm likely to get my shot at the local Kroger or CVS. My confidence that the Pharmacist or Pharm Tech will properly handle the Phizer vaccine and it's non-standard refrigeration requirements is much lower than my confidence in them being able to handle the Moderna vaccine, which has handling requirements that are relatively normal, AFAIK.

If CVS (or Kroger or whoever) were to set up a specialty location that did the Phizer vaccine and nothing else, I think that would address my concern, but, regular retail pharmacies are too busy for me to feel good about them handling the Phizer vaccine, especially if I had another choice.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I'm not sure how much Choice there is going to be with this vaccine. At least initially.

We've been told we are going to get the Pfizer one. No option for choosing another

I'm likely to get my shot at the local Kroger or CVS. My confidence that the Pharmacist or Pharm Tech will properly handle the Phizer vaccine and it's non-standard refrigeration requirements is much lower than my confidence in them being able to handle the Moderna vaccine, which has handling requirements that are relatively normal, AFAIK.

If CVS (or Kroger or whoever) were to set up a specialty location that did the Phizer vaccine and nothing else, I think that would address my concern, but, regular retail pharmacies are too busy for me to feel good about them handling the Phizer vaccine, especially if I had another choice.
    That makes a lot of sense. I hope everyone that wants one gets it extremely soon. Even though my local distribution pods are receiving them tomorrow, for some reason it looks like the earliest I MIGHT be able to get it is Monday. I'm not thrilled about that.

Site Supporter
    Interesting...

COVID-19 nasal spray from Eureka Therapeutics protects mice against infection

“We envision a daily nasal spray that functions like an invisible mask in slowing the spread of COVID-19,” Eureka CEO Cheng Liu, Ph.D., said in a statement. “Using antibodies in a preventive nasal spray adds to the arsenal of tools that we have to fight the spread of COVID-19, and the concept can be applied to other airborne diseases. We are excited about the results and are working to advance the product for human use.”

I'm just excited we can start getting back to some kind of normalcy soon.

I am in the Kaiser Permanente HMO, and I want to get my vaccine through them for a couple of reasons.

One is that I like to think that they will do a proper job of handling and storing the vaccine. That confidence may be misplaced, but I still have more confidence in a large HMO than the CVS located in the strip mall between the Starbucks and the mattress store.

Second reason is that I want some sort of accountability. Say they discover that a batch of doses was defective, or produced some side effects. Kaiser will (presumably) do a better job of keeping track of where my dose came from, and documenting the chain of custody. Every year during flu shot season, they are very interested in making sure I get a flu shot, and even if I get out of network (e.g., Pentagon, CVS), they want to know about it.

My wife is a teacher with some moderate health risk factors, so I think she will have a relatively high priority (far higher than me), perhaps prioritized after first-line health-care providers and nursing homes. I'm not sure if she will get it through the state and the county (where she teaches), or if Kaiser will consider her a priority.

As an aside - Virginia has imposed a few more restrictions on social gatherings. Not too draconian, but the trend is for more restrictions, not less. At the same time, the county she teaches in keeps saying they are going to open up for more in-person teaching. It's a pretty obvious mismatch between state and local policy. Going back to the classroom scares my wife to death. One of her students proudly sent her a photo from the previous weekend of a large, extended-family social event (birthday or something), where a bunch of people were crowded into an apartment, and none of the people were wearing masks. If there is in-person learning, this same kid will be coughing on my wife, or trying to hold her hand. Yeah, virtual teaching sucks (my wife complains about it every day), but in-person schooling seem like the exact thing that we should not be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. I hope everyone that wants one gets it extremely soon. Even though my local distribution pods are receiving them tomorrow, for some reason it looks like the earliest I MIGHT be able to get it is Monday. I'm not thrilled about that.
    My dear friend who is a hospice nurse but is pulling Covid ward shifts is getting her first dose Thursday.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My dear friend who is a hospice nurse but is pulling Covid ward shifts is getting her first dose Thursday.
    That's awesome, God bless her!

User Tag List