Page 214 of 725 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264314714 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Couple days behind and trying to catch up with this thread. So....I was in Iceland the last couple weeks for work, we got shut down early and told to get outta dodge last Thursday. Landed in Newark Friday night. There was zero screening of any type either in Iceland or in Newark. The pic is what passed for “social distancing” at the departure gate in Keflavik Friday afternoon. I get around a good bit for work...have been in China, Thailand and Singapore this year as well; this mob scene in Iceland was the first time I was really concerned about exposure.

Name:  CEAD50AD-DBA5-41C1-8704-E270EA8C04D3.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  100.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    Couple days behind and trying to catch up with this thread. So....I was in Iceland the last couple weeks for work, we got shut down early and told to get outta dodge last Thursday. Landed in Newark Friday night. There was zero screening of any type either in Iceland or in Newark. The pic is what passed for “social distancing” at the departure gate in Keflavik Friday afternoon. I get around a good bit for work...have been in China, Thailand and Singapore this year as well; this mob scene in Iceland was the first time I was really concerned about exposure.

Name:  CEAD50AD-DBA5-41C1-8704-E270EA8C04D3.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  100.9 KB

Please tell me you are self isolating yourself as much as possible...

Site Supporter
    If ISIS is taking the corona virus more seriously than your employer it may be time to rethink some priorities.

ISIS tells its terrorists not to travel to Europe for jihad — because of coronavirus

https://nypost.com/2020/03/15/isis-t...VB4ApP81ool4dQ

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Please tell me you are self isolating yourself as much as possible...
    Yup.

This weekend I ventured out for groceries. I knew I was likely exposing myself, but had little choice in the matter. The shelves were bare of toilet paper, hand soap, dish soap, and llaundry soap. Also bread, rice, hamburger helper, and cat liter. Venturing away from major stores and going to dollar stores yielded everything but soaps and toilet paper. I have the empty shelve photos.

http://instagram.com/p/B9xEny-pO3y/

Local schools are closed. A ton of people have to remain home because of their kids. As a result they are losing their paycheck at a minimum - and I would assume many their jobs. Medical transport companies for the large FL nursing home populations are laying off employees because those people aren't allowed to be transported.

In very short order those who don't have a financial safety net are going to be climbing the walls - and breaking bad.

Wife's county job is not closed, yet. She works in a department that manages paperwork for elderly programs. They are having significant issues. Home health aids and meals-on-wheels delivery services are falling short. Drivers are refusing to go to homes for meals-on-wheels, either fear of exposure or fear of passing the virus. Her job's health clinic is apparently now able to test for COVID19 and is testing 9 people from her building as of today. All of them are displaying fever, cough, and other symptoms. One of them is coughing up blood.

She is doing her best to stay in her office, and wash and sanitize every chance she gets. We are low risk factor for complications (late 20s, healthy, non-smokers) so she is going to stick it out as long as she can until they close. If she doesn't it is unlikely that many of our community's elderly will get the in home care they need to survive from non COVID19 issues. She more or less handles the red-tape bureaucracy required for billing services.

I recently ended my job without another lined up. Unfortunate, but required. My son is home from daycare with pink-eye anyway. I think we're pretty set to weather this thing, but I'm concerned about society at large.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 03-16-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I'm concerned about society at large.
    Right about 9:30 last night three loud knocks on the front door and some random yelling on the street. Sent the wife and kid to the basement and turned off all interior lights. Scanned as much as I could through windows without framing myself and kept the family in the basement for about 15 min while I waited upstairs pistol in hand.

Nothing came of it and still don't know if it was a kids' prank or something more. But any attempt is going to be dealt with severely.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    This weekend I ventured out for groceries. I knew I was likely exposing myself, but had little choice in the matter. The shelves were bare of toilet paper, hand soap, dish soap, and llaundry soap. Also bread, rice, hamburger helper, and cat liter. Venturing away from major stores and going to dollar stores yielded everything but soaps and toilet paper. I have the empty shelve photos.

http://instagram.com/p/B9xEny-pO3y/

Local schools are closed. A ton of people have to remain home because of their kids. As a result they are losing their paycheck at a minimum - and I would assume many their jobs. Medical transport companies for the large FL nursing home populations are laying off employees because those people aren't allowed to be transported.

In very short order those who don't have a financial safety net are going to be climbing the walls - and breaking bad.

Wife's county job is not closed, yet. She works in a department that manages paperwork for elderly programs. They are having significant issues. Home health aids and meals-on-wheels delivery services are falling short. Drivers are refusing to go to homes for meals-on-wheels, either fear of exposure or fear of passing the virus. Her job's health clinic is apparently now able to test for COVID19 and is testing 9 people from her building as of today. All of them are displaying fever, cough, and other symptoms. One of them is coughing up blood.

She is doing her best to stay in her office, and wash and sanitize every chance she gets. We are low risk factor for complications (late 20s, healthy, non-smokers) so she is going to stick it out as long as she can until they close. If she doesn't it is unlikely that many of our communities elderly will get the in home care they need to survive from non COVID19 issues. She more or less handles the red-tape bureaucracy required for billing services.

I recently ended my job without another lined up. Unfortunate, but required. My son is home from daycare with pink-eye anyway. I think we're pretty set to weather this thing, but I'm concerned about society at large.

-Cory
    There was a funny story in the NYTimes yesterday from professionals in the farm/food industry who expressed bewilderment at the run on food. Their supply chain is apparently amply stocked. So long as that holds true, I think we will see groceries returning to normal stock in the next week or two as people stop maxing out their credit cards for that 18th lb of ground beef.

One of the things that people keep citing is that Italy has more hospital beds per capita than the US.

Does Italy still do a lot of inpatient surgeries that today are mostly done as outpatient surgeries in the US? Within the last 10 years, the US has seen a dramatic number of hospital closures because we simply don't need to put as many patients in hospital beds after surgeries as we used to, due to advances in medical technology/techniques.

As one example, Beth-Israel in Manhattan is in process of transitioning from a 900 bed hospital to ~70 beds. They weren't the only one...….there was another hospital up by the Lincoln Tunnel that closed completely in 2014.

So, I guess a good question is to ask if these hospital bed comparisons between Italy and USA are accurate. What's the ICU bed per capita?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I work for a large silicon valley based tech company. Email this morning, US offices are open only for employees critical for keeping systems running. All others work from home. I'm glad they made the call.

Also, plan ahead. My wifes coworker placed a curbside pickup order at HEB this morning. Pickup is Saturday.

We're on two weeks max telework here, in conjunction with a 60 day "Stop Movement" order (no official travel outside the local commuting distance). Local university just announced spring semester will be distance learning only, and all dorms to be closed and vacated by Friday (they've been on Spring Break, so I'm hoping the student population on campus is pretty small).

My son's at UTSA, and they appear to be hopeful that in-person classes will be able to resume by April 13th. Waiting for the final decision on if the rest of the semester is cancelled, if/when that happens we'll have to figure out a way to get to SA TX to help pack his things and get him home (he graduates in May, though I'm guessing there will be no ceremony).

If we decide to have one of us fly to him, is there a best practices recommendation (we don't have N95 respirators) to minimize chance of contagion? If not, we'll have to make a 20 hour drive both directions, which will obviously be more complicated...

User Tag List