Page 393 of 725 FirstFirst ... 293343383391392393394395403443493 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,930 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I doubt this disclaimer is necessary but just in case: I know absolutely nothing about virology or sterilization techniques.

But my personal inclination would be to leave stuff in a warm, dry spot for a week and NOT spray it down with h202 because I doubt the virus would last all that long on those types of surfaces anyway, and I would be more concerned about the repeated exposure to an oxidizing agent breaking down the fibres in the filter or something.

Again...this is based on literally nothing. That is my uneducated reaction to the idea and nothing more.
    I have three N95s that I use in rotation. I only wear each once every eight or nine days, and the rest of the time they sit in the dashboard in sunlight.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I get your point, but that does remind me of an incident from my misspent youth. I am reminded of finding myself on the passenger side of my 1970 Ford LTD's front bench seat after ArmorAll-ing it as a teenager. I wore my lap belt after that. It technically had a shoulder belt, but it was strapped up above the window and you had to put the lap belt on, unstrap the shoulder belt, then hook the shoulder belt into the buckle of the lap belt.
    ... and this reminds me of when I Armoralled my bitch of a boss’s balance ball, and caused her to go right under her desk.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    That's not how it's supposed to work, no.

They would have to have procedures in place. I'm sure they ship out injured skiers all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Tabasco,

Um, your friend was in an ED, satting 75%, and they discharged him and had his wife drive him an hour and a half to higher care?

Uhhhh......what. the. fuck. The appropriate thing to do would have been an interfacility ambulance transport where they could have continued providing 02. Insurance would have covered this if Telluride didn't have the capability to treat him, and if he didn't have insurance the hospital would legally be on the hook to have him transported regardless.

@TQP, @Josh Runkle, @Nephrology, @ccmdfd, @Sensei
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Or maybe they're just giving the American people the "woobie" placebo they want.

or

Maybe they have learned new things about the virus.
    To have believed that masks do not add protection would have meant that you were dumber than the principals I had during my career.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I work in a hospital OR and our hours are getting cut drastically. This last week I worked 3 days, which I think is a pretty good balance of bringing in some money while limiting my exposure to patients. We'll see what next week brings though. I was off yesterday and as I finished shooting around noon they called me to cancel me for Monday. Said we only had 3 surgeries scheduled. Most days we have 50+
    My wife works in a cath lab, and they’ve gone down to running one room two days a week, and just playing it by ear the other days. They’re normally super busy, with multiple rooms going.

She’s been off on FMLA since January with our new baby, and will be going back in May. So far she’s been receiving a full paycheck on FMLA, but it sounds like we’ll take a hit when she goes back to work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    This has been shown to be false, over and over again. We've tubed dozens and dozens of previously healthy 30 and 40 y/os in my city alone
    A 49 year old former colleague died from it a few days ago. It is said that he was not infirm. He was not obese. As we speak, a 40 year old acquaintance is in intensive care with it. We can not make too many assumptions about what the covid-19 virus will or will not do. But who wants to catch this junk if wearing a mask might prevent infection? Who wants a really bad case of anything?

A basic roll-your-own recipe a friend sent me was to use Filtrete MPR 1500+ filters. Obviously, not giving you N95/N100-level protection, but better than a t-shirt. 3M Filtretes do not have fiberglass in them and are poly-weave material. So, it's the kind of stuff you can cut up to give yourself a better source material. You don't want to wear these things all day everyday, but in a pinch if you cannot find true N95s.

Since I, literally, have not been inside a building that isn't my own apartment building in nearly 4 weeks, I'm not overly concerned about having true N95s at this point. I wait 45-minutes before I use the elevator after hearing it go, and wipe down all surfaces with bleach or alcohol wipes and of course immediately wash my hands after, kind of limiting my chance for aerosolized contact.

At this point, I'll roll some from a filtrete we already had and set them aside as a stash for wearing to the grocery store, if we have to.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A 49 year old former colleague died from it a few days ago. It is said that he was not infirm. He was not obese. As we speak, a 40 year old acquaintance is in intensive care with it. We can not make too many assumptions about what the covid-19 virus will or will not do. But who wants to catch this junk if wearing a mask might prevent infection? Who wants a really bad case of anything?
    A couple of nurses I know have beem hospitalized with this. They are younger than thirty.

Four of our intensivists have come down with it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I was thinking society would actually come out of this with way less diabetes and whatnot.
    A buddy and I were talking about how many people are out on the trails, walking the beach, and at the park. He said "who knew the COVID-19 epidemic would solve America's obesity epidemic?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    A buddy and I were talking about how many people are out on the trails, walking the beach, and at the park. He said "who knew the COVID-19 epidemic would solve America's obesity epidemic?"
    Lol I was just talking with my wife about this. Everyone is out running, walking, biking or doing yard work where I live. I told the wife I think this will be the fittest America has been/will be in some time if this continues. Hopefully better hygiene and fitness will be the result on and individual level, stock piling and bringing in manufacturing capability on a national level. I have hope there will be some good that comes out of this. Another thing of note, I am also noticing more kids out getting off the TV/XBOX or whatever and parents actually parenting and paying attention/playing with their kids. It's encouraging considering all things.

User Tag List