Page 333 of 725 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343383433 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    [ramble]
    Been working supply base to source PPE past few weeks. Some success, some fail. Biggest problem is logistics. I can find supply, but the first hopeful news (still verifying) I heard on being able to move things in bulk with a booked schedule was less than an hour ago.

Been able to move some stuff and help some folks on a small scale, but my frustration on cargo limits (and stories of shipments gone missing) had my anxiety boiling. 10 days ago an express package took 5 days. Today it's taking 10 days. Too long! Lost my shit earlier in the week and started making calls and shaking trees.

Got in touch with <redacted>.gov 2 days ago through an old colleague. Working on getting integrated with their process. I was surprised that I was being asked intelligent questions and there were already boots on the ground doing source quals. Blood pressure down 30 points, but still high.

Got a note this morning with an offer to spend $1M on masks for donation to NYC. No pressure.

Feels like we are on our own for Vents. When every bent of media and POTUS is still calling it some version of "Chinese Virus", there are limits to what they will be willing to do for you. Working some angles but not very hopeful. Praying for GM and others to pull off a win. I have family in NYC and they are rightly afraid.

I know we have some pilots here... If anyone has the ability to fly an aircraft capable of reaching Shanghai, I'd like to get a basic cost analysis for that. Aircraft, fuel, fees, crew, and all the other stuff I don't know to ask. I can handle export/import. Ideally, something with minimum cargo capacity of a 20' container, about 30 CBM. I need a backup plan if air cargo doesn't work.

Down about 8 pounds now. Not hungry, force myself to eat at least 2 meals/day. Hydration pretty good, but fell off the wagon yesterday. Climbing back on. Still exercising. Spend a lot of time on the phone pacing with frustration. Check in here when I can... I sure would like to see better news, but thanks for the reality at least. I'd feel better if I could drive over there to pick stuff up.

Was pacing my yard yesterday and had a thought. At least i could go in the yard or take a walk. Imagine all the folks in Asia that can't leave their small apartments filled with family. Then I thought about Manhattan and Chicago. And the kid at Kroger that's going to pick my to go order tomorrow (hopefully tomorrow).

Thanks for listening... Time to eat something. Stay safe.

Corey... thinking of you. Wishing you strength. [/ramble]
    Really appreciate the hard work you are doing. Please take care of yourself!

For what it's worth, I have someone in the Colo Dept. of Public Health you could get in touch with re: PPE, but as a disclaimer I only have this person's info because I tried helping another friend to sell PPE to our system. They haven't heard back yet. A little frustrated.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Really appreciate the hard work you are doing. Please take care of yourself!

For what it's worth, I have someone in the Colo Dept. of Public Health you could get in touch with re: PPE, but as a disclaimer I only have this person's info because I tried helping another friend to sell PPE to our system. They haven't heard back yet. A little frustrated.
    Once I can confirm I can deliver bulk cargo I'll follow up with you.. Thanks.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    @Redhat regardless of how many vents they have they are useless without the skilled personnel to run them. Keeping someone alive on a vent is not a plug and play test.

Even if you have enough skilled people you need enough PPE to keep them safe while doing it.

You were a CATM guy so let’s put this in perspective.

You have 50 belt feds for base defense. Each needs a crew of 2. You have 70 airmen but only 50 know how to run a belt fed and you are in a CBRNE environment with only 30 sets of MOPP gear ... so 50 guns becomes 15 effective gun crews.
    Thanks for the break down, but not needed in this case...wife's in the med field.

Current hot topic seems to be vents so that's all I hear about...not much mention in the MSM about people to run them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Thanks for the break down, but not needed in this case...wife's in the med field.

Current hot topic seems to be vents so that's all I hear about...not much mention in the MSM about people to run them.
    It is relevant to the discussion on vents though. As I’m sure your wife can tell you, not every doctor or nurse is qualified to run people on a vent and as I’m sure you know from your military leadership time staffing burn out etc. are all factors so maintaining one person on duty at all times requires more than one person.

We’re not hearing about it Because it doesn’t make as good a soundbite.

Site Supporter
    919 people died in Italy yesterday. They continue to add 5-6 thousand cases a day.

Pure Speculation based on the numbers of new cases vs number of deaths for the last couple of weeks. I think they’ve got at least a week of 800-1000 dead a day until they can slow down the rate of new infections.

I think it's easier to fixate on ventilators because it's very easy for lay people to understand that if you need one and can't get it, you will die. Ventilator shortages are definitely something that are on the horizon. On the pulm conference call just an hour ago I learned we have a specific plan in place on how to triage ventilators. It was pretty grim.

The subtleties about nursing ratios and the relative ability of a pulm/crit care physicial to manage a vent vs. a cardiologist or a surgeon a little harder to turn into a sound bite.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As I’m sure your wife can tell you, not every doctor or nurse is qualified to run people on event and as I’m sure you know from your military leader ship time staffing burn out etc. are all factors so maintaining one person on duty at all times requires more than one person.

We’re not hearing about it Because it doesn’t make as good a soundbite.
    I'm sure it will come up eventually. Last week was N95 masks, then before that test kits. The MSM rarely offers useful information...at least not to me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Once I can confirm I can deliver bulk cargo I'll follow up with you.. Thanks.
    Is China going to release these type of materials? Or would they declare them essential for domestic use and keep them in country?

My understanding is that India, the other significant producer of Pharma and PPE has declared all such materials essential for domestic use and prohibited their export.

I'm sure it will come up eventually. Last week was N95 masks, then before that test kits. The MSM rarely offers useful information...at least not to me.
    N95s and testing reagents are still very much in short supply, for what it's worth. Testing is improving, but Denver has a critical PPE shortage (as does every other major city in the US it seems). PPE in the hospitals is for certain low, but for Fire/Police/EMS and testing personnel it is almost non-existent out here.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Not sure if this will prove interesting to anyone or not.

My province released their modeling data this morning; it was available as a document on Scribd which seems to have been removed, but can still be seen embedded at this link:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6741258/b...ast-modelling/

I haven't had the chance to go through it at all myself so the only highlight I'm aware of is that we've reduced our daily increase of known cases down to about 12% day over day since the social distancing measures began; hopefully as compliance becomes more widespread it will drop further.

They are currently predicting no shortage of ventilators, which is hopeful.

Anyway not that anyone would specifically be interested in my province but I thought the data itself might be interesting to some of you who might be able to apply the underlying assumptions etc to your own jurisdictions.

User Tag List