Page 35 of 725 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135535 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I’ve heard this theory before, and while I suppose there are enough Democrat-billionaires out there who could influence the market, and try to pull a stunt like that off, I don’t see it, none of them are going to throw away 100’s of millions of dollars to remove one man from office..they’ll make money now, and will make money after he’s gone..
    I know. It's stupid conspiracy junk food for the audience. Keep them tuning in.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Speaking of getting Bogleheads all over Pistol-Forum...

"Show me the money!!!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    You know, unless you need all the money, NOW... even being close to retirement wouldn't necessarily strike me as a major concern in the market. Hopefully you'll still be needing a lot of those funds to grow for another 20 years.

Personally I'm buying ABBV and BDX as well as my usual VOO and VB... probably also better price on AAPL right now than any time this year.

If you REALLY think this thing is going to keep falling, there's money in SH.

I checked the market, and now it’s down over 500points, still,IMO a correction..but if Friday rolls around and we’re still loosing 500-1000points a day, I’d say at that point we’re in meltdown mode..This is the price you pay for depending on one country for all your manufacturing needs, and nobody has a plan “B”..
    Yep, falling like a rock. This one ain't coming back anytime soon. Market is spooked. I'm thinking 22000 before we're done here. Buying opportunity next year.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-25-2020 at 02:57 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I’ll admit to being slightly concerned, only because as I’ve gotten older I have become more susceptible to severe upper respiratory infections that dance with pneumonia. Plus, having lost my wife to the flu...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I’ve heard this theory before, and while I suppose there are enough Democrat-billionaires out there who could influence the market, and try to pull a stunt like that off, I don’t see it, none of them are going to throw away 100’s of millions of dollars to remove one man from office..they’ll make money now, and will make money after he’s gone..
    If you're well-heeled and well-connected enough to influence the market downward by several thousand points, you;re also smart enough to be selling it short and not losing your money on the way down.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Most comprehensive case report series to date. All patients are obviously Chinese, treated in China.

Note how among this rather large population, only 1% of cases reported were asymptomatic. It is guaranteed that this is absolutely not representative of overall patient population at large, so these statistics only reflect those with symptomatic disease. Note that this is also reflected in the age range, which is heavily biased towards older individuals.

Frustratingly, they group ages 30-69 together, which is a rather broad demographic insofar as comorbidities are concerned. 60 y/os are much more likely to have hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc, than 30 y/os, and those diseases make you more likely to do poorly when you are very ill, so lumping them together makes it hard to get a granular understanding of relative disease severity.

Characteristics of and Important Lessons From the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Outbreak in China

Highlights (emphasis mine)

72 314 Cases (as of February 11, 2020)

Confirmed cases: 44 672 (62%)

Suspected cases: 16 186 (22%)

Diagnosed cases: 10 567 (15%)

Asymptomatic cases: 889 (1%)

Age distribution (N = 44 672)

≥80 years: 3% (1408 cases)

30-79 years: 87% (38 680 cases)

20-29 years: 8% (3619 cases)

10-19 years: 1% (549 cases)

<10 years: 1% (416 cases)

Spectrum of disease (N = 44 415)

Mild: 81% (36 160 cases)

Severe: 14% (6168 cases)

Critical: 5% (2087 cases)

Case-fatality rate 2.3% (1023 of 44 672 confirmed cases)

14.8% in patients aged ≥80 years (208 of 1408)

8.0% in patients aged 70-79 years (312 of 3918)

49.0% in critical cases (1023 of 2087)

Health care personnel infected

3.8% (1716 of 44 672)

63% in Wuhan (1080 of 1716)

14.8% cases classified as severe or critical (247 of 1668)

5 deaths
    Last edited by Nephrology; 02-25-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ditto.

We have systems deployed near Tokyo.

Discussion is ongoing as regards how / whether we are sending folks or not.
    This sucks. We have a trip to Tokyo planned at the end of May. We booked it in June. I hope this thing runs its course by then.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Bernie winning primaries ain't exactly helping things in the market either.

If he wins, a lot of wealth in this country is going to literally vanish overnight. Why have your money in the market if that's just going to tag you as a kulak and a wrecker?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List