Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NICS delay & FBI UPIN

NICS delay & FBI UPIN

My last 4 consecutive transfers at the FFL has resulted in a delay pending further investigation.
    Approximately 3 years ago I had a couple back to back and it caused me to do some digging. Come to find out, some turd with the same name AND DOB!!! (What are the chances of that???) has a very long record of B&E's, assault, etc.

I always get the green light within a day or two but it frustrating and I'm used to walking out same day with my goods.

I'm considering getting a UPIN. I am looking to hear from those who has gone ahead and obtained one. What has been your experience afterwards?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    My last 4 consecutive transfers at the FFL has resulted in a delay pending further investigation.
    Approximately 3 years ago I had a couple back to back and it caused me to do some digging. Come to find out, some turd with the same name AND DOB!!! (What are the chances of that???) has a very long record of B&E's, assault, etc.

I always get the green light within a day or two but it frustrating and I'm used to walking out same day with my goods.

I'm considering getting a UPIN. I am looking to hear from those who has gone ahead and obtained one. What has been your experience afterwards?
    Do you put down your SSN on the 4473?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Yes, I do.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Yes, I do.
    Odd. I would have thought that would have been enough.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Odd. I would have thought that would have been enough.
    Exactly what I thought. That should be my "UPIN".

I used get delayed for several days almost every time. I have a very common name. So common that I was on a no fly list after 911. I sought to rectify that but was told by a person who worked for DHS that no matter what I did it wouldn't speed anything up. So I did nothing but resign myself to the fact that I was a suspect in a database that would always have to be cleared.

UPIN may speed things up but it's my understanding that the check is archived and not scrubbed in 48 hours or whatever the time period is. I think it becomes a permanent record in an FBI database. This is from 4473.

Question 9. Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN): For transferees/
    buyers approved to have information maintained about them in the FBI NICS
    Voluntary Appeal File
    , NICS will provide them with a UPIN, which the transferee/
    buyer should record in question 9. The licensee should provide the UPIN when
    conducting background checks through the NICS or the State POC.
    If you can live with that I suppose it might be worth it.

My situation is I'm going to wait no matter what so nothing for me to think about. Took the county sheriff about 10 days to give me my last proceed.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-22-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    My instant checks would take anywhere from three to nearly 24 hours until I got a state CHP here in VA.
    There was a man in my county who has the same exact name as I who was served a protective order about 25 years ago when I was a civil deputy.
    My Sergeant at the time called me into his office and asked me if everything was OK at home. He was relieved that it was not me.
    Since getting the CHP, the approvals take about thirty minutes.

Site Supporter
    From the time I started buying guns in the late 90s until now, I almost always get delayed 45min due to sharing a name with a felon in Texas. I even include my SSN. Occasionally I don't get delayed (can count that on one hand with fingers left over), but when I do, it's 45mins.

Chris

For the last few years I’ve had the same problem - an asshole with the same name and DOB as me. I usually clear within three or four days.

There is no way I’m putting my SSN on a document that is being stored at a private business.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

There is no way I’m putting my SSN on a document that is being stored at a private business.
    I've often wondered about the records (4473's) that a FFL holder keeps. If that information gets stolen a lot of people are going to have a problem with identity theft. Best not to provide that to anyone, especially if you don't have to. It's bad enough that people can steal your credit and debit card information. That has to cost the banking industry billions every year.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List