Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Henry Lever X line...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Not to be outdone, Marlin expanded the dark series to include 357 and 44 mag.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2...lin-1-old-one/
    Anybody have thoughts on Henry vs Marlin for a side gate?

Initial preference leans towards the Marlin due to the sight setup.

I do kind of want one of these. I wish the picatinny rail was just mlok and that the finish was nitride but overall those are jut nit picks. Looks good.

I wish they made one in a .30-30 cool looking gun though.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Anybody have thoughts on Henry vs Marlin for a side gate?

Initial preference leans towards the Marlin due to the sight setup.
    Are you after a rifle or pistol caliber?

Here's why I ask: If you put a Marlin 336 and a Henry side by side, you don't have to squint very hard to see that the Henry is very much based on the 336. I don't think any of the parts interchange, but if I were to completely disassemble both guns and throw the parts in a coffee can, you'd have a long day figuring out what went where.

Why that's relevant is this: The Henry pistol caliber guns are using the same action as the rifle calibers. The Marlin 1894 action is designed for pistol length cartridges. The result of this is that the Henry weighs a on paper half pound to 3/4 of a pound more than the pistol caliber Marlin 1894c. I say "on paper" because most of the Henrys I've handled have felt kind of heavy and tubby in the hand, and I wonder if they aren't fudging the weight a little more. To their credit, they do appear to be using a better grade of walnut than the average Marlin, and walnut is heavy.

Edited to add: I just looked at the specs on the "side gate" Henry models, and they are listed as 7.5lb vs 7lbs. Dunno why adding a side gate would add half pound of weight, but that puts them a full pound more than the 1894c.

I've no direct experience, but most of the anecdotal stuff I've read on the internet of Henry rifles having feeding problems have been in the pistol caliber guns.

There doesn't seem to be as big a difference, weight wise once you compare the 30-30 guns to each other. I think the Henry has a marginally longer length of pull on the stock.

Also edited to add: The NRA article in the link refers to the new pistol caliber Dark models as being built on the 1895. This appears to be incorrect, as the Marlin Facebook page shows that they are built on the 1894.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 01-26-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Are you after a rifle or pistol caliber?

Here's why I ask: If you put a Marlin 336 and a Henry side by side, you don't have to squint very hard to see that the Henry is very much based on the 336. I don't think any of the parts interchange, but if I were to completely disassemble both guns and throw the parts in a coffee can, you'd have a long day figuring out what went where.

Why that's relevant is this: The Henry pistol caliber guns are using the same action as the rifle calibers. The Marlin 1894 action is designed for pistol length cartridges. The result of this is that the Henry weighs a on paper half pound to 3/4 of a pound more than the pistol caliber Marlin 1894c. I say "on paper" because most of the Henrys I've handled have felt kind of heavy and tubby in the hand, and I wonder if they aren't fudging the weight a little more. To their credit, they do appear to be using a better grade of walnut than the average Marlin, and walnut is heavy.

Edited to add: I just looked at the specs on the "side gate" Henry models, and they are listed as 7.5lb vs 7lbs. Dunno why adding a side gate would add half pound of weight, but that puts them a full pound more than the 1894c.

I've no direct experience, but most of the anecdotal stuff I've read on the internet of Henry rifles having feeding problems have been in the pistol caliber guns.

There doesn't seem to be as big a difference, weight wise once you compare the 30-30 guns to each other. I think the Henry has a marginally longer length of pull on the stock.

Also edited to add: The NRA article in the link refers to the new pistol caliber Dark models as being built on the 1895. This appears to be incorrect, as the Marlin Facebook page shows that they are built on the 1894.

Pistol, so marlin it is. Thanks!

Regarding sights, I've seen numerous 870s with the XS ghost rings not have enough adjustment to be sighted in; apparently due to differing front sight heights being randomly installed at the factory. I'm also aware of an 1894 not having enough adjustment and having to be swapped to Skinners.

If guaranteed the XS sights were good to go, I'd give a big edge to the Marlin Dark.

The downside to the Dark, for me, is the larger loop lever. I'm not a fan, but I don't live in an area with a lot of cold weather.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Regarding XS Sights and their adjustments: I bought a set for a Marlin 336 and needed a taller front sight. They will talk to you on the phone, figure out what height front sight you need and mail it to you gratis, with a prepaid mailer for the old one. I don't know if they would extend that same courtesy to someone who bought the sights already installed on a rifle or refer that person to Marlin.

I do live in a cold area and I think the extra large loops are ridiculous. They also slow you down. Your hand has to travel off the wrist of the stock to the big loop before you can start working the action. If your gloves are that big, you have no business trying to manipulate a trigger.

I can work my stock 1894C with light gloves using the stock loop. Some gloves are too big for the loop, but I can still grasp the bottom of the loop to manipulate it. Ranger Point Precision makes an enlarged, but not ridiculously big loop that I've thought about trying, but I think if I were wearing gloves that would necessitate a loop that size, I'd want to remove them before trying to shoot.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List