Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Lever X line...

Site Supporter
    Note that this side gate loader also has the same old removable tube. Lose the tube and have a single shot. Price is similar to their pretty version with walnut stock. Those attracted to one of these might check out Mossberg's .357 lever gun with a rail for a fore end and a cheesy retractable stock. It's a side loader. It works. You can buy two for the price of the Henry. I like my Henry lever guns but use them to roll cans and shoot dirt clods and rocks. Cowboy action shooters learned that they do not hold up in this game despite being a Marlin copy in most respects. If I were to venture from my armchair and hobble into bear country, I would be carrying a Marlin 45-70 and not a Henry. I say this as a guy who drinks their Kool Aid as I sit on my porch and wind my watch and bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Note that this side gate loader also has the same old removable tube. Lose the tube and have a single shot. Price is similar to their pretty version with walnut stock. Those attracted to one of these might check out Mossberg's .357 lever gun with a rail for a fore end and a cheesy retractable stock. It's a side loader. It works. You can buy two for the price of the Henry. I like my Henry lever guns but use them to roll cans and shoot dirt clods and rocks. Cowboy action shooters learned that they do not hold up in this game despite being a Marlin copy in most respects. If I were to venture from my armchair and hobble into bear country, I would be carrying a Marlin 45-70 and not a Henry. I say this as a guy who drinks their Kool Aid as I sit on my porch and wind my watch and bitch.
    Hey man. Are you sure Mossberg makes a .357? I've been watching for them to release a .357 lever gun, and as far as I know it hasn't happened, but I'm wondering if you've seen a recent development I've missed.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hey man. Are you sure Mossberg makes a .357? I've been watching for them to release a .357 lever gun, and as far as I know it hasn't happened, but I'm wondering if you've seen a recent development I've missed.
    No. They make a 30-30. I know better but made an error. Thank you for correcting it. I actually like the collapsible stock version. The problem is that I would not want to be seen with one.

This gives me wood....

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.33.57 PM.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  36.6 KB

https://www.facebook.com/HenryRepeat...329296770666:0

I wish I knew how to embed FB and Twitter posts.

I hate it.

Mostly because I want it.

And I was literally just sitting here thinking the following thought, "I think I'll get rid of everything not 9mm and .45 and switch entirely to 1911s."

That lasted approximately 45 seconds. Thanks Sidhe.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've actually sold all my .44s and .444s. Now I just have a couple boxes of bullets and a little factory ammo left that I was going to sell. Now this.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Not to be outdone, Marlin expanded the dark series to include 357 and 44 mag.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2...lin-1-old-one/
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Interesting how the president of Henry used to tell everyone to pound sand when they asked for a side gate because the tube loading was more traditional and is truer to the original Henry rifle. And now we have this.
    I'm not taking credit for the side loading gate by any means. I don't have that level of pull, not even close.

I did indirectly receive word that the owner of Henry had expressed disappointment that I didn't allow the Henries in my Social Levergun class due to the lack of the side loading gate. Not long after getting that word, Henry announced the side loading gate models.

I was shocked that Henry had even heard of my class.

All of that being written, I like keeping the tube option to allow for easy unloading.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm not taking credit for the side loading gate by any means. I don't have that level of pull, not even close.

I did indirectly receive word that the owner of Henry had expressed disappointment that I didn't allow the Henries in my Social Levergun class due to the lack of the side loading gate. Not long after getting that word, Henry announced the side loading gate models.

I was shocked that Henry had even heard of my class.

All of that being written, I like keeping the tube option to allow for easy unloading.
    Chief Weem's Lever Gun class - always discussed in all the right circles.

Site Supporter
    Recently I returned my Henry 45-70 to the Wisconsin factory. Issue was that loading the tube caused lever to open with result that cartridges entered action. Malfunction then occurred. The factory fixed the problem. Henry repaired and shipped back the rifle within 3 days. They paid shipping both ways.

Addendum. My bias favors the brand. Henry has made a few changes to improve the 45-70 model. Original offering had an unsatisfactory attachment of mag tube to gun itself. Henry resolved this.
    I think that the side loading feature in conjunction with their mag tube loading method is a good idea. Now a round can be added without fumbling with the mag tube. Few today would select a lever gun to serve in self defense roles. But the lever rifle is a good companion when out fooling around. It also goes nicely behind the back door.
    Last edited by willie; 01-26-2020 at 11:36 AM.

User Tag List