Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KRG Bravo for a 700 VSSF questions

KRG Bravo for a 700 VSSF questions

I have an older 700 VSSF with a hinged floorplate. It’s currently in a B&C Light Tactical. I don’t shoot it much, partially due to wrist pain issues due to an injury - I’ve been meaning to restock it in something with a much more pronounced vertical grip angle. Chassis stocks weren’t really a thing yet when I put this one together fifteen or so years ago.

The KRG Bravo is really catching my eye. What’s involved in converting my hinged floorplate action to use the AICS mags used by this chassis - just drop it in?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What’s involved in converting my hinged floorplate action to use the AICS mags used by this chassis - just drop it in?
    That's all you have to do.

You might have to relieve a notch on the front edge of the bottom of the receiver if you load bullets longer to take advantage of the space provided by AICS pattern mags.

BTW, get yourself some of these go to with the stock: https://mdttac.com/us_en/mdt-polymer-magazines.html

I have an older 700 VSSF with a hinged floorplate. It’s currently in a B&C Light Tactical. I don’t shoot it much, partially due to wrist pain issues due to an injury - I’ve been meaning to restock it in something with a much more pronounced vertical grip angle. Chassis stocks weren’t really a thing yet when I put this one together fifteen or so years ago.

The KRG Bravo is really catching my eye. What’s involved in converting my hinged floorplate action to use the AICS mags used by this chassis - just drop it in?
    You can just download the installation instructions from KRG ahead of time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You can just download the installation instructions from KRG ahead of time.....
    I did before I posted this, and didn’t see my specific question addressed - nothing about blind mags or hinged floorplates that I can see. I just looked again, and there is one mention of removing box magazine parts.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I did before I posted this, and didn’t see my specific question addressed - nothing about blind mags or hinged floorplates that I can see. I just looked again, and there is one mention of removing box magazine parts.
    There's nothing to say because there's nothing to do.

The statement to remove the box magazine parts says it all.

The receiver goes directly into the KRG Bravo. None of the parts from the factory stock are used, whether your 700 has a fixed magazine, a detachable magazine, or anything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    The receiver goes directly into the KRG Bravo. None of the parts from the factory stock are used, whether your 700 has a fixed magazine, a detachable magazine, or anything in between.
    Exactly, and you will need a AICS pattern magazine for your caliber. KRG does not include one.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

My builds usually turn into science projects, and I was having a hard time believing it was that simple. Thanks all!
    Ken

My builds usually turn into science projects, and I was having a hard time believing it was that simple. Thanks all!
    I've installed two Howas on KRG chassis (the discontinued 180-XRay)

It's stupid simple.

As others have said, you remove the Remington internal magazine from the action. For the life of me, I can't remember when precisely it comes out, but I seem to recall removing the factory bottom "metal" and dumping all the blind magazine bits out onto my bench. What you're left with is a barreled action with attached trigger assembly. That gets dropped into the aluminum block in the KRG stock, and secured with the KRG-provided action screws. Make sure you have a torque driver, plus the appropriate bits. I would also suggest getting something to protect your barrel while you're jiggling it into the stock. I wrapped a towel around my barrel when I installed my Remington into an MDT Tac21. I used some tape when I dropped my Savage LRP into an ACC.

You don't have to worry about the new magazine at all.The stock/chassis simply holds the magazine in such a position that it presents the cartridge to the bolt. I actually had better reliability with the Tac21 and an AICS magazine than with the stock Remington blind magazine.

Now...if I may make some personal suggestions.

(1) The KRG is great and lots of people are very happy with it. You could also check out MDT and XLR. Neither will beat the Bravo for the price, but I love everything I've ever gotten from MDT, and the all-aluminum chassis are nice.

(2) If you're finding it difficult/uncomfortable due to wrist injury, depending on what you're shooting off of...maybe try free-recoil for target work. I picked up a Sinclair F-Class bipod, and on a lark, tried just letting the rifle slide. Groups got real teensy, real quick.

It's not as cheap or uber-convenient as a Harris, but never fails to track the rifle straight back.

User Tag List