Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22lr defensive round options

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Well, what you have chosen certainly beats the daylights outta relying on a set of cars and harsh language to fend off such threats. If that is the limit of her capacity, then you have to work with what she can do. No dishonor in that, just the way it is.

Here's hoping that she—and you—never have occasion to require its use.
    True, but i'd also argue that for a bedside gun, one that isn't being carried out and about, for a recoil sensitive shooter, a long gun of some form is going to beat any .22 load out there. Plus they're easier to shoot and have less recoil than some handguns (not talking about using 3 inch 12's)

Needing it portable/concealable changes things though.

cc

Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post
    If you were going to carry a .22lr in a defensive role, what round would you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A perspective you might find interesting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=Cv6PxB2TqLM
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

.22 LR testing in ordnance gel from the old firearmstactical.com website

https://web.archive.org/web/20130330...smhv-r2245.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/20130502...stgr-r2245.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/20130526...2/article3.htm

Scroll down to "Terminal Performance of MPB Quik-Shok, CCI Stinger and Remington Viper .22 Long Rifle Ammunition when fired from a Beretta Model 21A Handgun into Standard Ordnance Gelatin"
    https://web.archive.org/web/20140802...m/briefs27.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The downside to the .22 Mag is the reload. The cases are so long that I can rarely get them to all drop out of the 351c. Perhaps the Ruger LCR is different?
    In my buddy's, rapping the ejector rod like you mean it clears nickeled cases pretty reliably assuming it's reasonably clean. Shooting Winchester ammo or letting it get too dirty between brushings do cause more recalcitrant cases than a shorter rimfire. Might be my lack of personal practice with the specific gun but have found the longer magnum cartridges to be fiddlier to line up and load into his LCR with a Speed Beez than my 22 Long Rifle as a more pronounced difference.

Kinda cool somebody named Velo Dog giving us information about what ammo to put in our pocket guns.

Another related question: What’s a cheap but reliably cycling .22lr plinking round?

Took the new G44 to the range real quick after work just to function check, and it failed to fully eject about a half dozen times out of 100 rounds of Federal Champion. Also it didn’t lock back on empty mag about 1/4 of the time.

The recoil spring feels very weak in these, and the lockup isn’t tight.

Another related question: What’s a cheap but reliably cycling .22lr plinking round?

Took the new G44 to the range real quick after work just to function check, and it failed to fully eject about a half dozen times out of 100 rounds of Federal Champion. Also it didn’t lock back on empty mag about 1/4 of the time.
    My favorite 22LR round after CCI MiniMag is the Aguila Super Extra high velocity. Available under $2/box, extremely accurate and reliable. I've shot thousands of them.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    My favorite 22LR round after CCI MiniMag is the Aguila Super Extra high velocity. Available under $2/box, extremely accurate and reliable. I've shot thousands of them.
    I second this. I use the 40 gr Aguila Super Extra high velocity rounds for the local bowling pin match with good effect. I see them as less expensive Mini-Mag. I had solely used the 40 gr Mini-Mag rounds for the bowling pins until I tried the Aguila.

The recoil spring feels very weak in these, and the lockup isn’t tight.

Break it in with CCI MiniMags first... most function issues seem to level out after the first couple hundred rounds in any new rimfire.

I just bought a variety of ammo to try:
    Federal American Eagle 38g CPHP
    Federal AutoMatch 40g LRN
    Remington Golden Bullet 36g CPHP
    Aguila SuperExtra High Velocity 40g CPRN
    CCI Mini-Mag 36g CPHP
    CCI Velocitor 40g CPHP
    CCI Stinger 32g CPHP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List