Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22lr defensive round options

Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post
    , the gun in question is a semi-auto.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What kind of semi auto. I'd probably go with 40 grain solid CCI Mini Mags. I don't know if some of the faster rounds might cause malfunctions or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    What kind of semi auto. I'd probably go with 40 grain solid CCI Mini Mags. I don't know if some of the faster rounds might cause malfunctions or not.
    It’s a new Glock 44 I just picked up yesterday. Main reason for the purchase is for a cheap to feed plinker and trainer to it’s full size cousins. I also plan to use it for training new shooters, especially women and elders, and to shoot another division in local steel challenge matches. But I also figured it could be the wife’s nightstand gun. She can shoot 9mm ok, but it’s hard to get her to train. She’s been to 1 class, but otherwise hasn’t been to the range in 3.5 years. I’d rather have something for her to grab that she can more easily be efficient with. I figure 10rds of high velocity .22lr dumped into the chest of a bad guy beats what might be an otherwise missed shot with a 9mm due to fear of recoil causing the flinchies. Not ideal I know, but an option for a gun that would otherwise be unloaded in another room.

CCI Mini-Mag in both round nose and HP
    CCI Velocitors
    CCI Stinger

Those are the rounds that I’ve seen promoted most for their ignition reliability. John Johnston tested the Mini-Mag 40gr round nose and found it reliably did 12.5” after 4LD. Chuck Haggard is a Velocitor fan. Quite frankly I’d just pick whichever of those 4 CCI loads shoots closest to your sights and groups well.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Ages ago we shot quite a lot of the Remington Viper loads, supposedly hyper velocity, and a flat point/truncated cone bullet. The effect on various small game was much more pronounced than ordinary round nose 22 bullets, which you could expect some squirrels, occasional cottontails, and definitely jacks to run off after body hits in the front half. They seemed to run better than anything else in the little Iver Johnson TP22s than about anything else we tried.

No idea how they reliably function today, but may be worth trying.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post
    It’s a new Glock 44 I just picked up yesterday. Main reason for the purchase is for a cheap to feed plinker and trainer to it’s full size cousins. I also plan to use it for training new shooters, especially women and elders, and to shoot another division in local steel challenge matches. But I also figured it could be the wife’s nightstand gun. She can shoot 9mm ok, but it’s hard to get her to train. She’s been to 1 class, but otherwise hasn’t been to the range in 3.5 years. I’d rather have something for her to grab that she can more easily be efficient with. I figure 10rds of high velocity .22lr dumped into the chest of a bad guy beats what might be an otherwise missed shot with a 9mm due to fear of recoil causing the flinchies. Not ideal I know, but an option for a gun that would otherwise be unloaded in another room.

Well, what you have chosen certainly beats the daylights outta relying on a set of cars and harsh language to fend off such threats. If that is the limit of her capacity, then you have to work with what she can do. No dishonor in that, just the way it is.

Here's hoping that she—and you—never have occasion to require its use.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Speaking of actual data, here's Lucky Gunner's test results.
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/poc...jVeKo3_SI#22LR
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for via google and couldn’t find

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post

A quote from the link:

"The average velocity of the five .22 Mag loads we clocked with our 1.9-inch Ruger LCR is 255 fps greater than the average of all the .22 LR velocities we measured with the S&W 43C. With the 4.3-inch barrel of the KelTec PMR30, the .22 Magnum loads gained an additional 135 fps on average. This increased velocity translated into better performance in gelatin as well. On the chart below, the barrel lengths have been rounded to 2″ and 4″.

Thanks Wheeler! But but the .22 mag loses so much velocity from a snub its no better than a .22LR The chrono and penetration measured begs to differ.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    It's been pointed out many times on this forum that Lucky Gunner used clear gel for their testing. Clear gel is not a valid tissue simulant.

Here is some .22 LR testing from a 3.5'' pistol done in validated 10% OG.

.22 WMR for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    A quote from the link:

"The average velocity of the five .22 Mag loads we clocked with our 1.9-inch Ruger LCR is 255 fps greater than the average of all the .22 LR velocities we measured with the S&W 43C. With the 4.3-inch barrel of the KelTec PMR30, the .22 Magnum loads gained an additional 135 fps on average. This increased velocity translated into better performance in gelatin as well. On the chart below, the barrel lengths have been rounded to 2″ and 4″.

Thanks Wheeler! But but the .22 mag loses so much velocity from a snub its no better than a .22LR The chrono and penetration measured begs to differ.
    I don't think I said that the .22 Mag loses so much velocity that it's no better than a .22, at least not recently. FWIW I had just about talked myself into ditching my 351c and pursuing another OMG for around the house until I read some data that Chris (that Lucky Gunner dude,) put forth about relative velocities. There was enough difference to convince me to keep the .22 Mag around.

The downside to the .22 Mag is the reload. The cases are so long that I can rarely get them to all drop out of the 351c. Perhaps the Ruger LCR is different? Regardless I carry an administrative reload and have other alternatives to an emergency reload when wandering around the house with my OMG.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List