Thread: Beretta hammer questions/recomendations.

Beretta hammer questions/recomendations.

I am looking to purchase some new hammers and wondered if I could get some recommendations. The first is for a 92 or 96 variant. Would you recommend the Wilson Combat deluxe hammer, the Elite 2 hammer or any other recommendation that you might have. Second I am trying to figure out which is the best hammer for a PX4 compact. I currently have the competition trigger assembly installed and I have noticed that the hammer on that system is different than the hammer that came in the standard trigger assembly. Beretta's website makes it sound like the hammer in the competition trigger assembly is of a different and better design. Does anyone know if this is the case? Or does anyone have any other recommendations for which hammer to use on a PX4? And the last question is are hammers between the PX4 line and the 92 line interchangeable? Apoligizes for my ignorancy and thanks in advance for any info.

Should have mentioned @LangdonTactical in the original post.

The Elite hammer on the 92 is more common.
    I was told the 9x series and the PX4 hammers are not identical/interchangeable, and have had no reason to try. (was asking due to bobbed hammer I had around)

On the PX4, I went with the bobbed hammer, because how I grip it, I was getting hammer bite. I suggest you shoot it first and see if what is currently on it, works for you.

I bought my PX4CC from a forum member here, and he had swapped out the stock hammer for a Wilson Combat Delux 92-series hammer. I like it, and a couple thousand rounds later, I've never had a problem with it.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

It's not that what I have doesn't work for me, it is that I am looking for possible upgrades and am asking to see what are thought to be the best overall options. It appears that there is some conflicting information out there, at least regarding the use of a 90 series hammer in a PX4.

What are you trying to accomplish by changing the hammer on a 92 series? Are you pursuing ignition reliability? A lower trigger pull weight? A cosmetic change?

In my experience there is no material performance difference between the Elite II hammer and the Wilson Combat hammer. Though the Wilson hammer is heavier, I've noticed no differences in ignition between the hammers...if I'm having problems igniting primers with the E2 hammer, swapping to a Wilson Combat hammer doesn't move the needle.

I'm not sure there is much point in changing the hammer without also changing the trigger bar and sear if you are seeking an improved trigger. In my opinion, the best way to get a new Beretta hammer is by purchasing a LTT Trigger Job in a Bag.

I find it interesting that the PX4 series seems to display better ignition reliability than the 92 despite using lighter weight hammers and springs. Clearly there is more to ignition reliability than hammer weight.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'm not sure there is much point in changing the hammer without also changing the trigger bar and sear if you are seeking an improved trigger. In my opinion, the best way to get a new Beretta hammer is by purchasing a LTT Trigger Job in a Bag.
    #wisdom
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I am looking for all around optimized performance, including reliability and trigger pull. I plan on a trigger job in a bag and since there are 2 different hammer options I wanted to make sure that I was choosing the overall best option. For my PX4 I plan on having a hammer nickel boron coated to match the rest of the gun and wanted to figure out which was the best part before I spent the money on the coating.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ctgoode View Post
    I am looking for all around optimized performance, including reliability and trigger pull. I plan on a trigger job in a bag and since there are 2 different hammer options I wanted to make sure that I was choosing the overall best option. For my PX4 I plan on having a hammer nickel boron coated to match the rest of the gun and wanted to figure out which was the best part before I spent the money on the coating.
    If you're getting a TJIB, I have the Elite hammer in both of mine, and like them just great. Can't say that the Wilson wouldn't do just as well, but I preference the Elite.

User Tag List