Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Be cautious with optics screws

Screws and MOS plates are why I decided I was willing to put up with the ACRO's shortcomings...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    DP Pro just came loose on a Shadow 2 slide, direct milled by Primary. Screw broke.

Attachment 51268
    Ohh, not excited about seeing that, have 3 slides done by them. Not that I think it is an issue with primary. Do you have a round count on that set up?
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Ohh, not excited about seeing that, have 3 slides done by them. Not that I think it is an issue with primary. Do you have a round count on that set up?
    The problem is the Leupold screw. Was a prototype ruggedized Pro, so it was in many different slides. I really need to change screws when I move it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ok, good to hear that.

On the other hand, reading this thread has made me realize I have re-used two sets of screws when switching over to the SRO and moving my RMR over to another slide. I will look into getting some new screws, I may be switching over to try out a Holosun soon.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

DP Pro just came loose on a Shadow 2 slide, direct milled by Primary. Screw broke.

Attachment 51268
    Just out of curiosity, have you checked the calibration of your torque wrench recently? Doubt you haven't or that that's the issue but I've seen a lot of money wasted over tool calibration errors.

I think with the amount of money you appear to spend on these things you might look into retapping the threads so you can use the fastener that appeals to your specs instead of taking what they send you or finding something else that fits. What do you use for threadlocker?

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you checked the calibration of your torque wrench recently? Doubt you haven't or that that's the issue but I've seen a lot of money wasted over tool calibration errors.

I think with the amount of money you appear to spend on these things you might look into retapping the threads so you can use the fastener that appeals to your specs instead of taking what they send you or finding something else that fits. What do you use for threadlocker?
    I have loctite blue, red, 222 and the Vibra Tite stuff. Typically use blue loctite.

I have loctite blue, red, 222 and the Vibra Tite stuff. Typically use blue loctite.
    Well, there shouldn't be enough heat there to shake Loctite and I don't think there's enough vibration to require red. It doesn't look like a loosening to vibration failure either.

I'm not a good enough machinist or metallurgist to advise on what thread pitch/fastener material that could be changed to, but I would be surprised if a good sharp machinist couldn't find a good fastener and re-thread right quick.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Well, there shouldn't be enough heat there to shake Loctite and I don't think there's enough vibration to require red. It doesn't look like a loosening to vibration failure either.

I'm not a good enough machinist or metallurgist to advise on what thread pitch/fastener material that could be changed to, but I would be surprised if a good sharp machinist couldn't find a good fastener and re-thread right quick.
    My first choice would be the Acro’s Mount, but after that a screw with a Torx 15 head would be my choice, with a bag of screws I changed proactively.

My first choice would be the Acro’s Mount, but after that a screw with a Torx 15 head would be my choice, with a bag of screws I changed proactively.
    Well, that's your call, and that might be a small amount of maintenance for the benefit gained, similar to oiling. I would like not to worry about the mount screws, and I'd like to see that engineered out. https://www.bakerrisk.com/wp-content...t-failures.pdf Not always possible but always ideal.

User Tag List