Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip Tape and The Draw

Grip Tape and The Draw

So, I’m currently running G17s in USPSA Production and I’m finding it somewhat annoying that sometimes on the draw or re-indexing my strong on the gun during a reload, I struggle to get my hand back into place where I want/need it to be which gives me a sub-par grip.

I’ve got a G17.5 with granulate Talon grips all the way around which I’m shooting the vast majority of my rounds through at the moment. I’ve got a G17.2 with granulate Talon grips that I’ve chopped the little front strap strips off as they weren’t staying in place. Not having grip tape on the front strap seems to help in indexing/re-indexing my hand, but I have a feeling removing the tape from the backstrap would help even more. Any suggestions on what generally works best or if I should consider something completely different?

I recently did the epoxy/silicon carbide grip thing on a CZ P-10F and left the front and back straps untreated for that reason.

Yes, remove all that grit tape from the front and the back and I bet your problems will go away. Stipple them if you want a bit more traction on the front and/or the back of the grip but still have the hand slide easily when you relax it.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-20-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    I remember @GJM talking about his experiments with grip tape and the draw.

My strong hand rarely slides because it has so much contact. I like putting grip tape ONLY on the weak hand panel where it contacts the grips. Full strong hand grip without the grip tape affecting you and then left hand get the extra help it needs.

There is a trade off between allowing your hand to slide into position as you grab the pistol, but then not sliding once you have your grip. Depending upon your pistol, your grip, the temperature and what you prioritize, your application of anti skid is likely to vary. I like chalk because I can vary it with the conditions — colder hands are less pliable and cause me to apply more chalk.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Fortunately grip tape is fairly inexpensive to replace. Given that the front strap and back strap of both Glock frames are good enough for giving me traction it seems worth the experiment to remove the tape from those areas.

If your hand isn't sliding, you have enough friction. If it slides, you need more friction. Friction is the force parallel to the surface, and is equal to the friction coefficient * the load perpendicular to the surface. So, surfaces with higher friction allow you to resist sliding with less grip force. However, without adding an adhesive, there are limits to how grippy a surface can be. Increasing roughness too much will only hurt your hands, and won't help with your grip. I went down that path for a while until I realized that it was pointless.

My favorite for Glocks is well-worn grip tape just on the sides of the grip. Some tapes are rough on the front, and that's ok too. I do not like rough texture on the backstrap because it makes it hard to grip the gun from the draw.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I’ve got a G17.5 with granulate Talon grips
    Just a thought, but have you tried the rubber Talons? They're not as grippy as granulate tape.

I add tape to the back strap but only the bottom third or so. I like the web between thumb and forefinger to be able to slide up to the beaver tail. I run tape on the front strap but only on the left side where my finger tips end up. Feels like I get a more secure grip for the first 8 inches or so of movement pulling it out of the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Just a thought, but have you tried the rubber Talons? They're not as grippy as granulate tape.
    I have not. I think I have a rubber set somewhere for an M&P Shield, but I’d have to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I use a mountain bike inner tube stretched over the grips. You still get some of the stippling through the rubber and it is very easy to trim sections off as desired. It stays grippy in all but the wettest conditions. It is not attractive, but works very well.
    Last edited by DC_P; 01-21-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

User Tag List