Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus, Really?

The alloy one is very tempting, but what was driving me to pick up inexpensive defensive revolvers was the worsening political climate here in IL. With me now moving to NH where I believe I can carry a RPG if desired, it’s less urgent. It’s still appealing, though.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    How well do Taurus revolvers generally take to a hammer bob?
    They sell them that way from the factory. Might be able to just buy the part if you call them up and ask nicely. Another thing S&W is stupid for not making available.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/856ch/

Also, the 85 boot grips should fit.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-20-2020 at 05:03 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I only have limited hands on experience with Taurus products, and the few I have fired actually did quite well. However, I just have a problem giving my money to, or trusting my safety with, a company that has produced products like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

Not only did Taurus sell these defective firearms to Braziliam police and American civilians, but they continued to sell them in the US for several years after this issue was discovered. Who knows how many injuries and even deaths this led to?

Most likely the gun you purchase from them will be fine. However, I feel like buying them is rolling the dice on when their next batch of dangerous QC issues will crop up.

Having said all that, the weight and form factor of this revolver looks great. The sights sound ideal, and the price is very affordable... unless it sucks and you end up selling it at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Supplement, not replace.
    Eh, the 42 is off carry duty and never gets used. It's just taking up space for other people to try out, possible loaner, and should probably just go to a home that'll use it.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You read my mind.

Haven't watched this video yet. But he's sometimes worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Hmmm... I think that means my modified Sile grips will likely fit, too. Just need to drill new cross pin holes. And I have several extras that I can modify in the grip box...
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-20-2020 at 05:37 PM.
    Not another dime.

This isn't much of a test, but it's at least a credible revolver site.

https://revolverguy.com/field-report-taurus-856/
    Not another dime.

Cautiously interested. I really wanna try those newest grips on a J frame.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I only have limited hands on experience with Taurus products, and the few I have fired actually did quite well. However, I just have a problem giving my money to, or trusting my safety with, a company that has produced products like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

Not only did Taurus sell these defective firearms to Braziliam police and American civilians, but they continued to sell them in the US for several years after this issue was discovered. Who knows how many injuries and even deaths this led to?

Most likely the gun you purchase from them will be fine. However, I feel like buying them is rolling the dice on when their next batch of dangerous QC issues will crop up.

Having said all that, the weight and form factor of this revolver looks great. The sights sound ideal, and the price is very affordable... unless it sucks and you end up selling it at a loss.
    I've always said they had pretty shaky quality.

He totally limp wristed that last shot...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Only things it needs is a decent rear sight and to not be made by Taurus.
    For decades I've been able to look at the Taurus catalog and find guns I would buy if they weren't made by Taurus. They make a double action revolver with interchangeable .22 LR/ .22 Mag cylinders, and I don't know how many times I've almost ordered when, but have stopped because I know I'll be disappointed.

Likewise, their 942 revolver has a drift adjustable rear sight, and a pinned on front. Can't find a S&W or a Ruger like that. This 856 looks like it could be function tested, loaded with carry ammo and dropped in a holster, except for the fact that it is a Taurus.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    ...They make a double action revolver with interchangeable .22 LR/ .22 Mag cylinders, and I don't know how many times I've almost ordered when, but have stopped because I know I'll be disappointed...
    Good call. Trigger is heavy and gross. Can clean up with a lighter replacement spring but loses anything resembling reliability with the 22 WMR cylinder, erasing the whole point of the thing. Only friend left with one gamed it to at least light his preferred 22 LR then buried his magnum cylinder in the back of the safe.

User Tag List