Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus, Really?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think they cost cut it.

And there is at least one video on the Tube of someone actuating it in both directions with a paper clip, so maybe unlike S&W, they realized how utterly pointless it was.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I bought a black 85 back when the rebate was on and PSA had them on sale. Cost me $200 total. Pawned it for $180 over a year later. The barrel was clocked and it shot left. CS gave me a big maybe and i'd pay shipping. No thanks, and let someone else enjoy the last of the lifetime warranty guns. Then the 856 came out. Sheels had one that felt nice and smooth. It was gone when I thought I'd try again. They brought out the 5 or 6 in stock and not one with a straight barrel was even close to being as smooth. So, I moved on to an old Bulldog 3" which made 3 trips back to CA and was finally rebarreled and shoots much straighter though still not perfect. I'll probably file the front sight this spring. They did polish it and reblue it which made me happy. Also, it doesn't shoot loose like it used to after 50 to 75 rounds of light 225 grain reloads.

This 3" 856 is tempting, but the video brings up that old question again about is it rated +P or not. He specifically asked, is it 38 special only. I wish he'd asked if it was rated +P. The answer could either mean it's not .357 or it's not +P. Personally, I still think they are not rated +P. It's not on the gun that it is. Only .38 Special on the last one I looked at.

I wonder if the action is the same as the 85. I bought one of those wolf spring kits and used the lighter main but the lighter trigger return spring would jam up the action and was useless. I didn't mind how it shot, but it was a bit heavy being all steel. Now if the pinned front sight was drift adjustable, that would help alot.

There's a part of me that says to just enjoy my Bulldog and forget about it.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 01-24-2020 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Would be awesome if you resized that photo.

The question was asked because the Taurus boot grip for the 85 is known to work on the J frame if you punch out the grip pin. The Taurus small frame grip pin is in a different location, but the shape of the frames is close enough to the same for some grips to work on both..
    Usually close enough. I tried putting a Crimson Trace grip for Taurus small frame on a 642. It was a tight enough fit that that it didn't want to go on.

Did Taurus remove the internal lock? I don't see it on the revolver.
    On external hammer Taurus revolvers the lock is on the back of the hammer. You wouldn't see it in the pic above. But, IIRC, they did leave it off the 856.
    Last edited by lee n. field; 01-24-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    On external hammer Taurus revolvers the lock is on the back of the hammer. You wouldn't see it in the pic above. But, IIRC, they did leave it off the 856.
    I didn't see it mentioned in the sucker's owner's manual.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The question was asked because the Taurus boot grip for the 85 is known to work on the J frame if you punch out the grip pin. The Taurus small frame grip pin is in a different location, but the shape of the frames is close enough to the same for some grips to work on both. So jandbj was thinking maybe the wraparound on your Taurus would fit on a J frame. I don't think it will without accommodating the difference in pin position.
    Sorry I cant seem to edit the post. I even removed the picture from Imgur but it still remains here.

The question was asked because the Taurus boot grip for the 85 is known to work on the J frame if you punch out the grip pin. The Taurus small frame grip pin is in a different location, but the shape of the frames is close enough to the same for some grips to work on both. So jandbj was thinking maybe the wraparound on your Taurus would fit on a J frame. I don't think it will without accommodating the difference in pin position.
    Here is a smaller picture as requested:

Hmmm they hired a gun guy to run it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...than-ever/amp/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

They seem to be getting traction.

And at SHOT, they release a whole sub-line of 3" barreled 856s

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Hmmm they hired a gun guy to run it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...than-ever/amp/

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    And at SHOT, they release a whole sub-line of 3" barreled 856s
    That's what the OP and most of this thread has been about.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Data point

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Took one for the team and picked up the 856 stainless 2 inch model yesterday. I wanted an all steel beater for the range. I'll report back after i get some significant numbers through it. First impressions are it's a little rough but serviceable.
    Approaching 1000 rounds and so far I'm really impressed. Initially replaced the springs with the Galloway Precision reduced power hammer and trs springs. Was getting occasional light strikes with the new hammer spring so returned to stock but kept the reduced power trs. Trigger is super smooth and single action is almost too light for my liking but i rarely shoot single action so i'm keeping the current set up. Most of the ammo i've shot through has been 148 wadcutters with maybe 200 standard pressure 38 ball.

User Tag List