Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus, Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    This is probably going to end up costing me money.
    On the positive side, it won’t be much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Go hang out at the S&W Forum a while and you will hear of a number of guns returned for correction (crooked barrels and barrel shrouds for example) and the folks get them back with nothing done but a note saying their revolver is "in spec". Those owners loose that confidence you are hoping for.

Dave
    I’ve hung out on that forum and while members are solid for the most part, I see a lot of whiners and armchair shooters who seem to have their own #MeToo movement going.

If the canted/overclocked barrels were nearly as prevalent as some would have us believe, then I’m the luckiest guy on earth, because I’ve never seen it.

I’m not crazy about what’s currently coming out of Springfield, but I think the issues are grossly exaggerated.

Everyone remembers the posts about alleged lemons, but no one remembers “Wow, got my new Smith and it sure shoots nice.”

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

If the canted/overclocked barrels were nearly as prevalent as some would have us believe, then I’m the luckiest guy on earth, because I’ve never seen it.
    From 2012 through 2013, I managed a retail counter at a gun store and range, among other duties. Handled thousands of new Smith revolvers.

I have remained in touch with my former coworkers since then. I have also purchased several Smith revolvers in that time, new, and have handled dozens, maybe hundreds, of new Smiths at shops.

If you’ve never seen it, you’re not looking or you should buy more lottery tickets. I would estimate that canting issues were present on at least every tenth or twentieth new Smith revolver I handled. It was common enough that I deliberately check for that issue when I handle the new Smiths now.
    Last edited by JRV; 01-23-2020 at 02:52 PM.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Here is my Taurus 856 stainless. It's actually a pretty decent revolver. It's tight and fit and finish is surprisingly good. DA trigger pull is smooth, not gritty nor overly heavy. The trigger is quite a bit lighter than my wife's S&W M638.

I have 100 rounds of my hand loads and a box of duty ammo through it so far without a hitch. I won't be carrying this revolver. This 856 is my "recliner" gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Here is my Taurus 856 stainless. It's actually a pretty decent revolver. It's tight and fit and finish is surprisingly good. DA trigger pull is smooth, not gritty nor overly heavy. The trigger is quite a bit lighter than my wife's S&W M638.

I have 100 rounds of my hand loads and a box of duty ammo through it so far without a hitch. I won't be carrying this revolver. This 856 is my "recliner" gun.

Would you mind trying those Taurus grips on the 638? I’m curious if they’re the same pattern as the 85 grips.

Thank you for guinea pigging!

Is that in case your La-z-boy gets frisky and needs to be put down?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Would you mind trying those Taurus grips on the 638? I’m curious if they’re the same pattern as the 85 grips.

I believe the pin is in a different location. Might be difficult to get that right with the grip being a slip-on.

FWIW, I didn't really dig the lumps on the back strap when I handled it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post

As you can see in the picture, they are two totally different grips.

Last edited by 4given; 01-23-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Is that in case your La-z-boy gets frisky and needs to be put down?
    You can't be too careful!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    As you can see in the picture, they are two totally different grips.
    Would be awesome if you resized that photo.

The question was asked because the Taurus boot grip for the 85 is known to work on the J frame if you punch out the grip pin. The Taurus small frame grip pin is in a different location, but the shape of the frames is close enough to the same for some grips to work on both. So jandbj was thinking maybe the wraparound on your Taurus would fit on a J frame. I don't think it will without accommodating the difference in pin position.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-23-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Did Taurus remove the internal lock? I don't see it on the revolver.

User Tag List