Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus, Really?

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Good call. Trigger is heavy and gross. Can clean up with a lighter replacement spring but loses anything resembling reliability with the 22 WMR cylinder, erasing the whole point of the thing. Only friend left with one gamed it to at least light his preferred 22 LR then buried his magnum cylinder in the back of the safe.
    That's kind of what I suspected. I figured if it was a viable idea, Smith would have done it by now. I guess you could always thumb cock it, but if you're going to shoot in single action all the time, that's what the Ruger Single-Six is for.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Maybe, but in their minds:

Are they doing standup, now?

Having snarked that, if S&W has to have an IL, I wish they'd drop their crappy design and license the one Taurus uses. It's a lot less offensive to the eye.
    It’s a well known fact that Taurus is a Premium Manufacturer. The problem is that it’s something like one out of twenty of them are Premium and the other nineteen or so are not very Premium at all. Even a stopped clock gets it right twice a day.

I once had a six inch, seven shot, titanium Tracker in 357 that truly was Premium. The several others I’ve owned through the years were of the not so Premium category.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just to note, the listed 35.00 oz for the steel "Defender" models is certainly an error, since the 22 oz for a one-inch shorter barrel is verified. The actual number is likely to be 23-25 oz, which is much more interesting.

Don't remember if it was stated in this thread, but reports are that K-frame speed loaders work with the 856.

Our Colt New Python thread isn't exactly making a strong argument against testing these waters.

I've had multiple S&Ws show up unusable and unfixable out of the box. Two out of two Rugers I've gotten into have had to be sent back.

As of right now, I'll almost certainly be trying out a stainless model when the next rebate offer comes around. Because I'm a revolver idiot, apparently.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This is probably going to end up costing me money.

The 2" CH models appear to have a pinned front sight. That right there is a game changer. I see a 22 oz. steel frame with a usable replacement front sight being a possibility for a higher round count practice/carry gun. I have a Model 85 from the 1980s that has always run just fine.

The speedloaders listed on the Taurus sight are the HKS 10a which is their K-Frame loader. The only problem will be a good holster.

I was just thinking. For what you pay for a S&W that has to be sent back, you could have a 16oz carry, a 22 oz practice plus a spare or two.

Has anyone put real quantities of ammo through an 856? Like five digit counts? Or at least a 2k run?

All the 856 reviews I can find are 500 rounds or less. That's still "out of the box" in my mind.
    Not another dime.

Swung by Academy on my way home and checked out one of their snubby 856s.

Surprisingly tight and wiggle-free lockup on some holes, others more typical. Wouldn't swear to how square the front of the cylinder is; cylinder gap may vary by a couple thou. But overall, not horrible. Some things were surprisingly draggy. Not stiff and binding, just draggy. Unknown whether due to needing the anti-rust packing grease to be washed out or needing fitting/smoothing, but overall, no real alarm bells. Nothing obviously wrong with it beyond tiny fit and finish details. It wasn't exactly sexy, but it's the kind of thing I'd have no problem getting dirty or scratched. It looks less like a husky's behind than an LCR.

The Colts and Kimbers I've handled aren't really enough better finished to justify the price ratio. Cobra is 3 oz heavier. K6 is 1 oz heavier, which is getting to be pointless to discuss. (To note, the 3-in K6s is 2 oz heavier than the 2-in K6s, so I expect the 3-in 856 to be right around 24 oz, as noted earlier.) However, I can't look at the Kimber and think that design is really the best effort of people who are good at designing and machining things in 2017 or whenever it came out.

Plus, I have a grip solution that works for me on a J-frame pattern, but not on any of the other small revolvers.

If Ruger would build this version of the SP101, I wouldn't hesitate.

Will sign up for the experiment.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Taurus makes many many guns I like in theory. I just can’t trust them, but I hope they change my mind one day.

My problem with Taurus isn't whether or not the gun you get is good. I've heard way too many stories of folks getting bad guns from them and sending them back only to have the guns returned still broken. I've had a lot of Rugers that had to go back but they always got fixed and I'd assume the same is true for S&W. I can buy those with confidence because at the very least they'll fix my gun if there's a problem. I can't be sure of that with Taurus.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    My problem with Taurus isn't whether or not the gun you get is good. I've heard way too many stories of folks getting bad guns from them and sending them back only to have the guns returned still broken. I've had a lot of Rugers that had to go back but they always got fixed and I'd assume the same is true for S&W. I can buy those with confidence because at the very least they'll fix my gun if there's a problem. I can't be sure of that with Taurus.
    Go hang out at the S&W Forum a while and you will hear of a number of guns returned for correction (crooked barrels and barrel shrouds for example) and the folks get them back with nothing done but a note saying their revolver is "in spec". Those owners loose that confidence you are hoping for.

Dave

User Tag List