Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Recommend A Spotting Scope.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Ha. A Kowa scope isn’t going to see paper holes at 800y, much less a Konus.
    Yep

That's why I was asking

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Problem is the mil reticles greatly reduce the number of scope choices. And used $1500 scopes rarely depreciate to a third of original price.

Another problem is the OP isn’t a sniper trying to kill the Viet Cong tax collector. He’s hasn’t mentioned anything about needing it for his spotter buddy calling out corrections.
    I hear what you're saying. Here's my pitch: having a buddy to spot transforms rifle shooting in the same way that a shot timer and the ability to call your shots help with pistol skills.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Hits on freshly painted steel, I assume.
    Yes, hits on painted steel at K&M Precision - I try to go once per quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I hear what you're saying. Here's my pitch: having a buddy to spot transforms rifle shooting in the same way that a shot timer and the ability to call your shots help with pistol skills.
    With a little bit of practice, a mild recoiling rifle, and a scope in the 10 - 15X range, one can spot one's own misses.

The real skill of being a spotter is being able to give your shooter a wind call so good that we won't need to spot his miss.

One of the most valuable skills I learned in service rifle competition was the self use of a spotting scope to evaluate mirage and other environmental clues to make a good enough wind call.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-22-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Yep

That's why I was asking
    I knew what you were getting at. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have very good results from a cheap used KONUS out to about 800 yards. After that it's "cheap" quality optics make it harder to see hits. With good lighting, I can see hits to 1000 but even with best possible lighting, etc. cannot see at 1200 yards.
    This. When I researched it the suggestions were to start with a Konus spotting scope--pick the x65, x80, or x100 that's in your budget and size requirements.

If you needed anything better, jump up to the high end Swarovski.

I went with a similar budget as to what the OP states.

I went with Vortex as it seems to be a good brand with a potentially-great warranty, should you ever need it (which I haven't). This is a lifetime warranty and it doesn't matter if you drop it; run over it; burn it; or have a receipt. Just somehow prove you had/have it and it's broken. The company is in the USA, but I'm pretty sure it's made somewhere in Asia.

I spent ~$300+ for the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x 65mm scope; and another $180+ for its PRO GT tripod.
    I think this is Vortex' lowest-end spotting scope with its highest-end tripod.

To go with Vortex' next-up "Viper" scope(s) the scope price would already be over $500 even at a good discount.

The PRO GT tripod was much better than my hardware store bought Bosch tripod as it reduces vibration if set-up in a house, as mine is, or on any type of manufactured floor. The tripod does have an inverted hook to hang a weight if necessary, too. It won't matter how good the glass is if one's tripod is causing a scope to vibrate/blur in the wind or on the ground/flooring it's on.

Given the price-point, the only thing I'd consider if I'd do it again is trying a larger diameter lens, like an 80mm instead of the 65mm, in hopes of getting, perhaps, a possibly brighter image. But I've not tried an 80mm model and I could be complaining about some other unforeseen factor (sharpness, brightness, weight, image edge clarity, who knows).

If you only want to spot the hits on a range, then you might consider a target cam rather than a scope.
    Scopes only gave me trouble and I am very satisfied with my 300 yard HD target cam. I use an old
    tablet computer with the camera.

https://www.longshotcameras.com/coll...cts/marksman-1
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

I have used several different spotterson occasion, up to and including the big Swaro’s. None of them were as easy to use as a pair of good clear 15x binocs on a tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been a while since I have been shopping for a spotting scope as I picked up a Vortex three years ago and it has been a good scope. I think I paid $400 on sale, probably can get them for less in today's market. Sometimes I like the angled eyepiece and other times I wish I went with something straight.

Model
    Name:  vortex1.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  31.3 KB

On the tripod
    Name:  vortex3.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  101.2 KB

Not a great pic but here is one I took with my cell looking through the scope on 60X, targets placed at 1030 yards.
    Name:  Vortex2.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  41.1 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List