Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Nominee 2020 Part Deux

Hammertime

Democratic Nominee 2020 Part Deux

The other thread appears closed. Mods can choose to reopen and add this or kill this one as well.

NYT endorses both Warren and Klobuchar:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...dorsement.html

Article contains a great summary of the other current nominees as well.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 01-20-2020 at 09:12 AM.

My personal suspicion is that the Democratic Party establishment fears and dreads Bernie. So, the word is out to support Liz as much as possible, the idea being that she and the Bern will cancel each other out.

They have to walk a fine line. Back in 2016, they just brute force shut him down, but that may have caused enough votes to turn to Trump. So, this time, they need to exercise caution. Propping up Liz and hoping she drains enough of his support is the safe way to do it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

alles klar der Klobuchar...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    My personal suspicion is that the Democratic Party establishment fears and dreads Bernie. So, the word is out to support Liz as much as possible, the idea being that she and the Bern will cancel each other out.

They have to walk a fine line. Back in 2016, they just brute force shut him down, but that may have caused enough votes to turn to Trump. So, this time, they need to exercise caution. Propping up Liz and hoping she drains enough of his support is the safe way to do it.
    Your political analytical skills are amazing.

Bernie's right. A woman can't get elected. Palin was an anchor tied to McCains ass. Hillary was an elitist train wreck.

It's interesting that Harris didn't make the cut and Klobuchar is still there. I'm thinking that the dems want Klobuchar because of her midwest heartland draw. My wife, who is educated way beyond her intelligence and is a liberal, won't vote for Warren. She rejects Warren's student debt forgiveness plan because she worked her way thru 6 years of college. She doesn't like Warrens health care plan either and she was a healthcare professional. That's the kiss of death right there.

I don't think Klobuchar has any flies on her, at least I don't see any. Hard on her staff? Try a real job and see how that compares.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Bernie's right. A woman can't get elected. Palin was an anchor tied to McCains ass. Hillary was an elitist train wreck.
    Palin was an anchor because selecting her was transparent pandering to avoid being cast as the old, white guy he was. People didn't have nearly the problem with his old whiteness that they had with the transparent pandering. Add in that she appeared to be terrifyingly stupid, and a whole lot of people I knew who had been considering voting for McCain the day before instantly came to see his ticket as a non starter.

Hillary got beaten because she is an elitist train wreck, not because she is a woman.

Obama got elected the first time by appearing to be the better candidate. He didn't say, "Vote for me because I'm black." A lot of people were willing to vote for him partly because he was finally a black candidate not saying that, the first in their living memories. It was, to many, a chance to say, "Finally, that's behind us. This country has fulfilled the dream of Dr. King. We don't care about the skin color (or gender) of the best candidate, if he (or she) is the best candidate. Now let's end that crap and get on with the business of the nation." Of course, he turned that upside down as soon as he was in and set about dividing the country on race issues.

Similarly, a woman can get elected only if she doesn't say, "Vote for me because I'm a woman." She has to appear to be the best candidate. When a candidate's appeal is based on the intersectional boxes they check, that's a sign that they are not the best candidate.

All the intersectional candidates that have fallen away in the current Democratic race have failed to be good candidates, so they banged the "Vote for me because I'm ________" drum until the screen door banged them in the ass on the way out. Even Democrats are smart enough to not care about you if that's the most important thing you have to offer.

Every time Warren does the "Vote for me because I'm a woman" thing, she puts another puff of wind in Bernie's sales. But she's a garbage candidate, so she keeps doing it to deflect attention from her garbaginess.

A woman can get elected. Just not any woman who's ever run for President in this country so far.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The most recent polls, as of this weekend, have Biden leading Iowa at 24%, followed by Warren at 19%, Buttigieg at 16%, Sanders at 12%, and Klobuchar at 11%.

If Biden takes Iowa, he’ll gain useful momentum that can offset any potential difficulties is New Hampshire. He’ll win South Carolina handily, the net result putting him in a strong position for Super Tuesday. Anyone who doesn’t take a win in the any of the first three contests is looking at clock ticking down to the end of their campaign. Bloomberg remains an unknown, but I think that no matter how much he spends, it’ll be too little, too late.

The impeachment proceedings benefit Biden, Buttigieg, and Bloomberg, but if it gets messy with Hunter, it could harm Biden. I don’t think it’ll harm him much among his current supporters, but it might make it more difficult for people supporting other candidates to get eagerly behind him.

I don’t bet, but if I did, I would bet on Biden. Much will depend on his VP nomination.
    Last edited by Bergeron; 01-21-2020 at 02:26 AM.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Kind of reminds me of back when it was GWB vs Kerry in the general election.

The NYT came out and said they were going to "do things differently" for their pick. They picked a few (5 maybe, my memory is not that great on it) topics such as Budget/taxes, foreign affairs, domestic affairs, etc, and then would devote a page on a specific one each week for a time. On each page they would compare and contrast the candidates' positions and declare a winner/loser for each topic. The man who wins the most topics wins their nomination.

Well each topic pretty much went the exact same way. The correct (not in our opinion or we believe but it's an absolute truth/law) position on X is this, and anything else is flat earther/racist/sexist/etc/etc. GWB says this, and it's the wrong answer.

We don't know what Kerry feels. In June he said one thing, in July something else, and in August yet again something else. But at least he's not GWB so he wins the topic for today.

Of course Kerry won all topics and went on to be their nominee.

Funny watching them come up with all sorts of contortions to get behind a man they plainly said was a major flip flopper and they couldn't tell what his real positions are.

cc

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Your political analytical skills are amazing.

It's interesting that Harris didn't make the cut and Klobuchar is still there. I'm thinking that the dems want Klobuchar because of her midwest heartland draw. My wife, who is educated way beyond her intelligence and is a liberal, won't vote for Warren. She rejects Warren's student debt forgiveness plan because she worked her way thru 6 years of college. She doesn't like Warrens health care plan either and she was a healthcare professional. That's the kiss of death right there.

I don't think Klobuchar has any flies on her, at least I don't see any. Hard on her staff? Try a real job and see how that compares.
    I'm going to also predict that should Bernie catch fire in Iowa & New Hamster, a bunch of MeeToo allegations are going to come out.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm going to also predict that should Bernie catch fire in Iowa & New Hamster, a bunch of MeeToo allegations are going to come out.
    Who's gonna admit they got it on with Bernie?

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    A woman can get elected. Just not any woman who's ever run for President in this country so far.
    Tulsi Gabbard would win if nominated.

However, the DNC will never let that happen, so it's almost not worth mentioning..

User Tag List