Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Nominee 2020 Part Deux

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Being, perhaps, the original "stirrer of shit", I sometimes wonder how Diogenes would fare in today's political climate. I bet he would fit right in.
    Searching for a man person whose shit didn't stink.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Young progressives are beginning to already talk of staying home on election day. They see the writing on the wall that Sanders is all but defeated and that Biden is going to be the nominee. Many of them absolutely hate Biden as much as they hate Trump. They see him as establishment, they also think he is a creep. As most heterosexual men can tell you - being thought of as a creep by women is a surefire way to not gain their support. They are seeing, first hand, how the DNC is undermining the candidates they want. As a result, many of them are beginning to simply accept the fate of a second Trump term and already turning their attention to 2024.

I think some of them like the idea of a second Trump term. Not consciously mind you, but sub-consciously, just so they can continue to complain and be slacktivists.

___

Yes I absolutely expect the campaign to be thoroughly appalling, particularly as they attempt to prop up Biden, by attacking Trump constantly.

That said, I do not now expect the results to be substantially different. Democrats have tried for 4.5 years to beat Trump and they have failed at every turn. I do not like Donald Trump, but if anything his presidency is a marker that when outsiders ascend they can really disturb the entrenched, we're seeing now what the entrenched will do, and the gloriousness of it - is that their efforts simply aren't successful, because at least some parts of the damn system still work. I love that, that makes me feel better about our country in many respects. If you can't kill the outsider with the system you supposedly control, it means you do not control the system or the outsider is considerably stronger. I do not think Trump is considerably stronger.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well, some indigenous cultures are supposedly matriarchal so maybe by dropping out of the Democratic primary and returning home Warren will still be able to pursue leadership opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Well, some indigenous cultures are supposedly matriarchal so maybe by dropping out of the Democratic primary and returning home Warren will still be able to pursue leadership opportunities.
    Campaign over, Liz heads back to OK...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Campaign over, Liz heads back to OK...
    Is that Bernie she's draggin' along there?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Is that Bernie she's draggin' along there?
    Bloomberg.

@RevolverRob I agree completely with your above analysis.

The establishment Dems will be unable to supply a base with enough buoyancy to keep Senile Joe from sinking under the weight of his own creepiness.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Doesn't seem like anyone on the other side of the aisle cares one way or the other.
    They certainly care about results.

Trump is delivering them, and doing so better than anyone since Reagan. (Reagan himself had a bunch of the same criticisms leveled at him that Trump has endured. It's eerie how similar the reaction to both of them is) The Republican party ran a string of "respectable" candidates over the last 40 years with some pretty sorry results to show for it.

George W is a great example. He ran as a "compassionate conservative" (I voted for Keyes because I knew "compassionate conservative was code for "not a conservative") and once elected set his goal of setting a "new tone" in Washington. Meaning being really nice and letting democrats have what they wanted a significant chunk of the time.

That didn't work out so good for him. Or for us.

He also tried to get an amnesty for illegal aliens passed which was something the Republican electorate wanted less than ebola. And he supported a renewal of the Clinton AWB.

Bush was, by all reports, a very nice, respectable guy who ended up doing jack shit to fix the corruption that is blatant in the DOJ (which started in earnest under Clinton), added a bunch of new federal surveillance powers that were destined to be abused, thoroughly mismanaged the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and handed hundreds of billions of dollars to huge financial interests so they wouldn't face the consequences of their own shady financial practices. And he did all of this while basically ceding the field to the democrat narrative which certainly didn't help him any.

When a gentleman scholar who means what he says and governs in a way that produces results comes along, I'm sure the folks who voted for Trump will vote for him. That guy didn't show up in 2016. What did show up was Jeb Bush, and faced with the possibility of yet another fucking Bush in the White House or the anti-Bush, Republican voters chose the anti-Bush.

I can't get mad at them for that.

Some day maybe the ideal people will show up on both sides of the aisle and conduct things in a way that is pleasing to everyone's sensibilities. Today, however, isn't that day. It probably won't be tomorrow, either. I mean, when we go back through history and really look hard at presidents only a few of them stand out as truly good men and great presidents. Ike was a good one. Truman and FDR were both corrupt shitheads. Wilson was an elitist prig who loathed the founding principles of the nation and had ultimate faith in bureaucracy. Kennedy had more issues than National Geographic. Johnson may well be the single most corrupt and repulsive human being to ever occupy the office. Nixon was Nixon.

The ideal statesman is the exception, not the rule.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 03-05-2020 at 02:52 PM.
    3/15/2016

TC, I appreciate your perspective and point of view but trotting out the warts of past administrations is shifting the discussion.

I'm no pollyanna, I've done my time in the trenches, both in terms of actual law enforcement, as well as coming up against the conflicts (of interest) within the government...in the arena of international drug trafficking, arms smuggling, money laundering and terrorist related matters.

I voted for Trump and when I talk about Trump I am not harking back to the Carter administration, which was the first one I was employed by Uncle Sam under,nor Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, or Obama.

We would probably agree about a lot of things and probably would bleed for the same causes. That said, I have issues with Trump the man, and Trump the president. I have problems with his family members in the White House. Some of his choices for asses occupying seats of power. And a litany of other things that I don't have time nor inclination to get into here.

That said, I voted for Trump...not Clinton, nor did I support any of the others whose hats were in the ring beforehand.

I have not suffered (yet) under his administration. My portfolio continued to grow, as it did during the Obama administration, my taxes remained reasonable, (as they already were), my carry of a firearm was not endangered under state permit or LEOSA, and overall quality of life has remained good.

That doesn't mean that criticisms of Trump, the man, the president and how he conducts affairs on behalf of the United States and the people, is beyond criticism.

I don't expect a perfect man to occupy the oval office. I do want a man (or person) I can respect and be proud of. Actions count. But so does the rhetoric.

Your mileage may vary.

Perhaps we have participated in different rodeos.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The other factor is the Bernie Bros. Will they step to and vote for Joe Establishment come November? Especially if the rest of the primary fight turns into a bitter fight that leads to a contested convention? Losing even 1/4 of Bernie's 30% is a lot of votes, especially in the more purple states. And I don't exactly see him as graciously stepping into line afterwards.
    I say we push for a Bernie write-in campaign in November. Since the Democrat establishment pushed Bernie out in the primaries, the Bernie Bros. should write-in their vote for Bernie this November. Don’t give your vote to Sleepy Joe, stay true to Bernie this election! #ProjectMayhem
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List