Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Nominee 2020 Part Deux

Site Supporter
    My 95 year old father passed a few weeks ago from dementia. Noteworthy were the number of people in their late 50s in his memory care facility. I do believe that some age - not sure what that is - is too old to be President, Senator, etc.

Biden's firewall was fireproof after all. This may give him enough of a boost to take the front (especially if Amy & Liz drop out and Mini Mike crashes)

And Bernie- again!- only got about 1/4 of the votes. It will be interesting to see if he's ever going to be able to pull more than 50%.
    In some ways, he's a lot like George Wallace. He has a loyal core of devoted followers inside his party's base, but not much appeal outside that core.

Steyer is out- finally. Liz & Amy are probably hoping to hang on long enough to survive Super Tuesday and come out with enough delegates to get something from the Convention- but I doubt it.

Mayor Pete may be able to hang on long enough to guarantee himself a Veep slot.

Mini Mike still needs to face some voters.

And it's all still up in the air.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I think that the also-rans are looking to the VP slot and in some cases 2024 after the front runners die of old age.

Bernie Sanders is Funded by the Wealthiest Zip Codes in America

I don't read this site, so I don't know how good it is, but this seems interesting.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Bernie Sanders is Funded by the Wealthiest Zip Codes in America

I don't read this site, so I don't know how good it is, but this seems interesting.
    Didn't read the article but it doesn't surprise me. Like the Hollywood "elite", they can talk all the "forward thinking" and "progressive" agenda, but they'll still call their accountant and look for a way to shelter their money from the tax man...legally or otherwise.

I don't expect it will be any different for them if Bernie carries the day.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Didn't read the article but it doesn't surprise me. Like the Hollywood "elite", they can talk all the "forward thinking" and "progressive" agenda, but they'll still call their accountant and look for a way to shelter their money from the tax man...legally or otherwise.

I don't expect it will be any different for them if Bernie carries the day.
    From the concluding paragraphs of the article:

"He’s the candidate of class warfare, not on behalf of the poor, but of young wealthy people seeking more power and influence at the expense of the more established wealth of an older generation. It’s tech industry bros warring for influence with fossil fuel titans, not for the poor, but for themselves."

"Not me. Us." That’s Bernie’s slogan. It’s true, just not how people are meant to perceive it. Bernie is little more than a puppet of the campaign pros who made him a household name in 2016 and are trying to make him more than that now. The “Us” are not Americans or even Democrats. It’s the elites of these zip codes."

I'm not sure to which degree I agree with that (though there is some truth to it), but I would agree that those people who are funding him believe they can remake America into the country they want because they "know better than the rest of us rubes".
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Biden's firewall was fireproof after all. This may give him enough of a boost to take the front (especially if Amy & Liz drop out and Mini Mike crashes)

And Bernie- again!- only got about 1/4 of the votes. It will be interesting to see if he's ever going to be able to pull more than 50%.
    In some ways, he's a lot like George Wallace. He has a loyal core of devoted followers inside his party's base, but not much appeal outside that core.

Steyer is out- finally. Liz & Amy are probably hoping to hang on long enough to survive Super Tuesday and come out with enough delegates to get something from the Convention- but I doubt it.

Mayor Pete may be able to hang on long enough to guarantee himself a Veep slot.

Mini Mike still needs to face some voters.
    gets the
    And it's all still up in the air.
    I'm not seeing how Bloomberg gets enough primary votes to get nominated. He can flood the states like CA and TX with ad money but I don't think people will buy his schtick. He really turns my stomach with his I have enough money to buy votes attitude. Already trying to get a VP (Yang) on board isn't an encouraging sign that he has the horsepower to pull it off. Yang said that Bloomberg's campaign strategy was flawed.

My money is on Bernie now. Not that I would vote for him but he looks like an FDR democrat (American New Deal) to a lot of people. Tax the living shit out of everybody (especially the upper income earners) and let the gov't take care of you. Nephrology (coronavirus thread #637) makes the case eloquently here. Health care and the economy will be the two most important things on people's minds when they go to vote. Both of those things are the top stories in the news and that isn't likely to change in the next 8 months. What may change is a bear market and lots of sick people, all good for Sanders. I think what it comes down to is a candidate like Trump who wants to keep passing out money to everyone including corporations that won't invest in the US and someone like Sanders who claims to be the working man's (middle and low income earners) best bet. I see the election shaping up around those two issues. With a global recession on the way and maybe a health care crisis Bernie starts to look really good to a lot of voters. I don't prescribe to either philosophy but I think that's going to be our choices.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-01-2020 at 12:50 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    From the concluding paragraphs of the article:

"He’s the candidate of class warfare, not on behalf of the poor, but of young wealthy people seeking more power and influence at the expense of the more established wealth of an older generation. It’s tech industry bros warring for influence with fossil fuel titans, not for the poor, but for themselves."

"Not me. Us." That’s Bernie’s slogan. It’s true, just not how people are meant to perceive it. Bernie is little more than a puppet of the campaign pros who made him a household name in 2016 and are trying to make him more than that now. The “Us” are not Americans or even Democrats. It’s the elites of these zip codes."

I'm not sure to which degree I agree with that (though there is some truth to it), but I would agree that those people who are funding him believe they can remake America into the country they want because they "know better than the rest of us rubes".
    Bernie's campaign isn't much different than Obama's first campaign of Hope and Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

My money is on Bernie now. Not that I would vote for him but he looks like an FDR democrat (American New Deal) to a lot of people. Tax the living shit out of everybody (especially the upper income earners) and let the gov't take care of you.
    Ultimately what would happen if Bernie got elected and got his way would include the usual.

Have a job? Yes, guess what you are in the upper income category you're rich, pay more taxes.
    Have $250/mth student loan payment? It's forgiven however you will be paying $400 more per month in taxes. Hope your happy with that deal.
    Need a medical procedure? Wait in line and hope your disease doesn't progress to the point of no return before you get seen. Or do like others with real money in socialized medicine countries. Pay cash at a private hospital.
    More and more people would just go on the dole because working would be pointless.
    Eventually we become Venezuela.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Ultimately what would happen if Bernie got elected and got his way would include the usual.

Have a job? Yes, guess what you are in the upper income category you're rich, pay more taxes.
    Have $250/mth student loan payment? It's forgiven however you will be paying $400 more per month in taxes. Hope your happy with that deal.
    Need a medical procedure? Wait in line and hope your disease doesn't progress to the point of no return before you get seen. Or do like others with real money in socialized medicine countries. Pay cash at a private hospital.
    More and more people would just go on the dole because working would be pointless.
    Eventually we become Venezuela.
    They got suckered into that in Venezuela didn't they? Sounded like a good plan but unfortunately it didn't work out. Now they need some guns to change it back.

User Tag List