Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems MR920

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    If by private jet you mean old Toyota and if by supermodel concubine you mean my wife then yes.
    Yeah, me too (except a Mazda).

But you get to shoot. That makes you one of the one percent. Bernie’s gonna be all over your ass.

On a more serious note, I’m looking forward to your thoughts on the MR920. I have the MR918, which I really like, and which I don’t think I’d have known about but for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    On a more serious note, I’m looking forward to your thoughts on the MR920. I have the MR918, which I really like, and which I don’t think I’d have known about but for this thread.
    Comparing the 918 and the 920 side by side the only immediately noticeable difference (in feel) is the changed profile of the trigger guard.

One thing I like about the 918 is the protrusion on the front of the trigger guard. I've found this to work as a reference point as well as an anchor for my support hand index finger. This bump or protrusion is gone from the 920.

Without the protrusion the bottom of the trigger guard feels very slick and almost lacking. Maybe Shadow Systems needs to add a bit of rough texture here.

With that said, I should probably shoot the pistol before complaining about it. This might be much ado about nothing.

Another thing; some have complained about the change in certain parts that may take away from Glock parts commonality. I'm not sure if that's actually the case. The slide is drilled clear through on the right. I'm guessing a factory extractor plunger assembly will still fit and work. That is as long as a much shorter screw is used and/or no optic is mounted. And while the slide back plate appears angled, it is actually triangular in shape. I am guessing a factory Glock plate (or gadget plate) will still fit. It just wouldn't match the angled profile that is part of the 920 slide.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

31 rounds fired whicb consisted of two mags and the chambered round of 147 +P HSTs that had previously ridden in my 918.

Not enough to really form an opinion but I'm sure the gun will perform just fine as I get more time with it.

At this point I guess my only negative comment is regarding the trigger. It is sort of crunchy and inconsistent. My 918 trigger was pretty much the same at first but smoothed out nicely with some dry and live fire. I assume the same will happen with the 920. Typical Glock in that the trigger guard is kind of small and the bottom of my trigger finger rubs. This magnifies the sensation of crunch since it is one more contact point.

Anyway, I was going to start a new thread but it probably isn't necessary since this thread only consists of 30 some odd posts up to this point.

I field stripped my new 920 this morning and gave it a cleaning. Not that it needed it after only thirty-one rounds. Plus I wiped it down and oiled it right after I got it.

Anyway, while I had it apart I thought I'd take some photos.

First is the optics mounting point. It is compatible with several sights to include the RMR and DP Pro. Note the extractor spring is visible here.

The extractor spring retaining pin should come out by pushing up on the tiny hole visible on the bottom of the slide. I wanted to take the extractor out but don't have a punch small enough.

General pics of the slide and its machining. Overall the machine work is very good and the slide is generally devoid of sharp edges. With that said there is some tiny pitting on the slide near the front sight.

The optic cover plate is aluminum and engraved with the company logo. A minor complaint but I wish it was serrated to match the slide.

The barrel appears unchanged in shape/style from the 918. Not sure what coating is used. It is starting to rub off already.

The back plate compared to a factory Glock plate. The Shadow Systems plate is aluminum. I had initially assumed a factory Glock plate would fit but that is incorrect. The flange around the outside of the plate is much thinner on the 920.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-06-2020 at 12:17 PM.

The frame shares a texture pattern and overall style with the 920. Really the only difference is the shape of the trigger gaurd.

Internally it is familiar Gen4 Glock copy to include a factory part of two.

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago. I've carried HKs and Sigs for years, never been a Glock guy. I saw all the rave reviews for the MR918 and all the videos on the MR920, so I rented a gen 5 G19 and liked it a whole lot more than my VP9, so I sold the VP9 and ordered the MR920 Elite. I really like the optic mounting system (mounted up my RMR and it took all of 4 rounds to get it zeroed). I've had it to the range 3 times and put a few hundred rounds through it. I love it but have one issue that could be a major problem at the wrong time. When I started shooting it I was using a way thumbs forward grip to get my support thumb on the shelf and I inadvertently dropped the mag probably 4 times. The second time out I made a concerted effort to keep my support hand as far back nestled into my right hand as possible and had no issues with the mag. Shooting today I had a couple occasions during rapid fire strings where I let my support hand slide a little too far forward and I dropped the mag twice. I guess this is primarily a software issue (training/muscle memory with the support hand) but it's at least a partially a hardware issue because I've never done that with a Sig P229 or P320. Obviously not an issue with the paddle release on my USPCs (vastly prefer the paddle release). Not being a Glock aficionado, I don't know what's available as far as lower profile magazine releases but I think that would be a smart modification for me, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I picked one of these up a few weeks ago. I've carried HKs and Sigs for years, never been a Glock guy. I saw all the rave reviews for the MR918 and all the videos on the MR920, so I rented a gen 5 G19 and liked it a whole lot more than my VP9, so I sold the VP9 and ordered the MR920 Elite. I really like the optic mounting system (mounted up my RMR and it took all of 4 rounds to get it zeroed). I've had it to the range 3 times and put a few hundred rounds through it. I love it but have one issue that could be a major problem at the wrong time. When I started shooting it I was using a way thumbs forward grip to get my support thumb on the shelf and I inadvertently dropped the mag probably 4 times. The second time out I made a concerted effort to keep my support hand as far back nestled into my right hand as possible and had no issues with the mag. Shooting today I had a couple occasions during rapid fire strings where I let my support hand slide a little too far forward and I dropped the mag twice. I guess this is primarily a software issue (training/muscle memory with the support hand) but it's at least a partially a hardware issue because I've never done that with a Sig P229 or P320. Obviously not an issue with the paddle release on my USPCs (vastly prefer the paddle release). Not being a Glock aficionado, I don't know what's available as far as lower profile magazine releases but I think that would be a smart modification for me, at least.
    I have a similar problem with Gen4 and newer Glocks especially with 19 sized guns.

Working on changing your grip until it becomes 2nd nature is the best answer.

Another option is to remove the mag release and put it in from the other side. Configure it for left-handed use but still run it with your right hand. This would mean changing your master grip quite a bit during a reload but it likely would solve the accidental release problem.

Holster selection will become more important going this route since the release will now be on the outside of the body during holster carry. Brushing up against something may pop the mag loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

I field stripped my new 920 this morning and gave it a cleaning. Not that it needed it after only thirty-one rounds. Plus I wiped it down and oiled it right after I got it.

Anyway, while I had it apart I thought I'd take some photos.

First is the optics mounting point. It is compatible with several sights to include the RMR and DP Pro. Note the extractor spring is visible here.

The extractor spring retaining pin should come out by pushing up on the tiny hole visible on the bottom of the slide. I wanted to take the extractor out but don't have a punch small enough.

General pics of the slide and its machining. Overall the machine work is very good and the slide is generally devoid of sharp edges. With that said there is some tiny pitting on the slide near the front sight.

The optic cover plate is aluminum and engraved with the company logo. A minor complaint but I wish it was serrated to match the slide.

The barrel appears unchanged in shape/style from the 918. Not sure what coating is used. It is starting to rub off already.

The back plate compared to a factory Glock plate. The Shadow Systems plate is aluminum. I had initially assumed a factory Glock plate would fit but that is incorrect. The flange around the outside of the plate is much thinner on the 920.

That pitting is unacceptable IMO. It looks like there is some on the top of the slide near the front of the optic plate as well. I would contact Shadow Systems about it.

It looks like there may have been a heat issue during the finishing process. I have seen pitting like that before on slides that had problems during their finishing process.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    That pitting is unacceptable IMO. It looks like there is some on the top of the slide near the front of the optic plate as well. I would contact Shadow Systems about it.

It looks like there may have been a heat issue during the finishing process. I have seen pitting like that before on slides that had problems during their finishing process.

TXPO
    I have an email in to them about it.

User Tag List