Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Since the Art and Science thread is getting more questions about other .45s and general 1911 questions, how about a thread for some of those discussions not directly related to keeping a 1911 fat and happy.

I’m as guilty as anyone else so consider this an attempt at atonement…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Seems to me H&K basically solved all the problems 1911s can have.

I have a very soft space in my heart for 1911s, and have recently picked up two additional ones. But I am under no illusions that they are superior to other options. I have a M&P45C with a second slightly longer top end (not sure what length it is, it’s packed) and also a G41. Either of those are arguably better .45s, but they don’t have the raw appeal of a good 1911. Just my opinion.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I just got a Smith & Wesson 4506-1. In its inaugural range trip, I found it to be a wonderful shooter: accurate, comfortable, reliable, shoots right on POA.

Name:  8F5E20A8-E0FF-4E04-9210-413EAD544A36.jpg
Views: 2664
Size:  38.7 KB

I plan to do kind of a comparo write up between that and the P220.

Name:  ADFC442C-48DA-4D9C-A606-B15C31C965AB.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  101.2 KB

But, yeah... .45s...

I like them. Something satisfying about the recoil impulse. I tend to shoot .45s accurately, too. And, most are single-stacks, so they kind of inherently carry well. I've found a P220 to be a very comfortable--capable--DA/SA carry gun. The grip is a tad long, but I feel like I can still get away with it in a T-shirt as long as it has a somewhat relaxed fit. I think the 4506-1 is probably gonna be a winter-only carry, though; it's grip is even longer.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 06-20-2022 at 10:43 AM.

I haven't been watching the A&S thread since mine seem to be running fine, but will say I have always enjoyed my M&P 45s. I sold the Compact but still have the full size. Bought many of my M&P holsters to fit it, since the full size 9/40 guns are only 1/4" shorter.

ETA Pic. This one spent many years in the safe next to the bed in this configuration:
    Name:  MMc M&P.jpg
Views: 2562
Size:  36.8 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-20-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    The safety isn’t quite in the right place for me, LEM can solve that though.

Site Supporter
    I've got two Colt Series 70 1911s in .45, a Gubmint Model and a Commander. I've also got two S&W M&P45 1.0s, a compact and a full size. It's been a couple or three years since the Colts have seen a holster. OTOH, I would happy with the compact M&P45 as my only "big" carry gun. Just my opinion...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    If you run a USP in condition 1 as an SAO, it is the lowest-priced, most reliable, most durable, double-stack, poly frame 1911 ever made. Same (except 8 rounds) with HK45 if you prefer, since the fire control system is the same, and it's even more 1911-like. The factory match trigger even makes the SA pretty darned decent.

Unfortunately, for those of us who like DA/SA, the H&K DA suxx, and there's precious little to do about it.

I think of the P220 as a lightweight Commander-sized, DA/SA 1911. There are also a few steel-frame versions if you like that better. All you have to do is buy P220-1 factory mags and they will run perfectly. And fix any manufacturing defects in the particular gun you get. Triggers can be cleaned up and even made pretty awesome with factory springs. Parts need replacing at regular intervals, but I don't think it's much worse than a 1911. I like the P220 with Hogue G10 grips better than any 1911 I've ever handled or shot.

I had a few nice 1911s, but I don't miss them except to look at. I only have USPs and P220s now for .45 launchers. Oh, and a Contender.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Since the Art and Science thread is getting more questions about other .45s and general 1911 questions, how about a thread for some of those discussions not directly related to keeping a 1911 fat and happy.

I’m as guilty as anyone else so consider this an attempt at atonement…
    Why do you “need” a .45 ?

At this point it seems like the only “real” drivers for getting a 45 are:

1) I need to be able to shoot .45 Super to defend against large animals like Alaska brown bears, polar bears etc.

2) Someone is giving me free .45 ammo

Having been down the non-1911 .45 Road with: SIG p220, S&W 645, HK USP /HK45, M&P 45s, and G21/41 The answer is I don’t actually need a 45, And if I did me to 45 it would be an HK.

My old P220 duty gun will stay for nostalgia but as Burt Lancaster’s character said in “Valdez is Coming” it’s from “before I knew better.”
    Last edited by HCM; 06-20-2022 at 11:15 AM.

User Tag List