Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems MR920

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Lifted from the Shadow Systems website:

The strongest, deepest screw placement in the industry
    Ron Jeremy begs to differ...

Sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes....
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

A couple more pics.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I'm not to sure about the new design. I really like the MR918 and it has some advantages in the event you have a parts failure. Glock parts will fit in a pinch and get you back up and running.

I understand they wanted to design the pistol like their own, rather than just improving on the Glock design, but becoming more proprietary isn't always a good thing.

I'm gonna stick with the MR918 for now, or until they stop producing it.

FWIW I never had any holster fitments issues, including duty holsters. Everything I use is Kydex specifically for the 19, and my MR fits just fine in all of them. The MR918 beavertail worked perfectly for me and others I know with them. I am wondering if this new extended and upswept one is going to cause clearance issues with Safariland ALS hoods.

I do like the beveling, but not reducing the slide width in the front. I also like the new slide release design, but that about it for me.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 01-21-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    I'm not to sure about the new design...Glock parts will fit in a pinch and get you back up and running.

I understand they wanted to design the pistol like their own, rather than just improving on the Glock design, but becoming more proprietary isn't always a good thing.

TXPO
    I tend to agree that departing from the traditional design isn't necessarily the best approach especially when the aftermarket is flooded with pretty much any conceivable replacement part. With that said, I am interested in the red dot mounting solution. If I can mount and/or change optics without buying adapter plates it should be a good thing. Also, it is my understanding that the extractor is unchanged so parts commonality shouldn't really be impacted. That's just a guess at this point since I haven't seen one of the new guns yet.

In the meantime, here's a video from the SHOT media day:

MR918s are on sale at Sportsman’s Outdoor Superstore for lower than I’ve ever seen. Maybe they are being phased out for the MR920.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Additional SHOT coverage:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-new-take.html

but becoming more proprietary isn't always a good thing.

I do like the beveling, but not reducing the slide width in the front. I also like the new slide release design, but that about it for me.

In light of recent disputes over "trade dress" a cosmetic redesign is probably a good idea. Whether Shadow did this to avoid potential problems or simply because they wanted to it will hopefully be a good thing.

Trade dress is a funny deal and I'll admit I don't understand it. Ruger is apparently suing S&W over trade dress violations of the 10/22. This seems odd to me when I assume Colt could make a similar claim that Ruger (and S&W for that matter) have stolen their intellectual property with various 1911 clones. Same deal with the M&P15 and AR556 rifles.

In light of recent disputes over "trade dress" a cosmetic redesign is probably a good idea. Whether Shadow did this to avoid potential problems or simply because they wanted to it will hopefully be a good thing.

Trade dress is a funny deal and I'll admit I don't understand it. Ruger is apparently suing S&W over trade dress violations of the 10/22. This seems odd to me when I assume Colt could make a similar claim that Ruger (and S&W for that matter) have stolen their intellectual property with various 1911 clones. Same deal with the M&P15 and AR556 rifles.

Point well made. I know this is becoming quite an issue in the industry. Several Shops have been patenting their specific modification designs to prevent other from doing them. I can see where this could be an issue for Shadow and others that might have something too close to the original.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Point well made. I know this is becoming quite an issue in the industry. Several Shops have been patenting their specific modification designs to prevent other from doing them. I can see where this could be an issue for Shadow and others that might have something too close to the original.

TXPO
    Frankly I'm surprised Glock is not making a stink about this. Can Glock's sales be that huge that boutique copies are no threat?

Can Glock's sales be that huge that boutique copies are no threat?
    Yes; yes they are...

Last edited by Tokarev; 01-24-2020 at 11:58 PM.

User Tag List