Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems MR920

Shadow Systems MR920

This is just announced and is based on feedback from owners of the MR918. Does it warrant a new thread?

The 920 is more or less a 2.0 version of the 918. Still based on the G19, it has been tweaked to address a few key points.

The beavertail is slightly elongated with a slightly different profile. Apparently a few people were still getting slide bite. I have to wonder if the slight upward angle will help with friction. My 918 will rub a hot spot on the web of my shooting hand after repeated draws. Maybe the slight upward angle will keep my hand from rubbing as I come in on the draw stroke.

Also, the slide release has been reshaped to prevent the same people from bumping it with the palm of the support hand.

There are additional changes to the overall style of the pistol. The frame now has a more defined ridge for indexing the trigger finger and/or to rest the support thumb against while shooting. The front slide profile is reduced to aid in reholstering and the sights are slightly taller to better cowitness when using a red dot.

The biggest change is the redesign of the extractor plunger. It is shorter and no longer comes out the back. This means longer screws can be used to secure a red dot. It also allows for several sets of holes to be drilled to accommodate the RMR, Deltapoint and a few other sights without using an adapter plate.

Shadow Systems had been rumored to be releasing a new pistol for SHOT. I had totally been expecting some type of G17 offshoot. I do find it interesting that they're making an updated 918 in such a short timespan. Seems most companies don't launch a 2.0 until after the 1.0 quits selling...

I wonder what'll happen with the 918. Will it be discontinued or will it continue alongside the 920?

I've been quite pleased with my MR918 and plan on getting a 920 as soon as they ship.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

A couple more pics.

Shadow Systems MR920

That’s what I get for buying an MR918 a couple of months ago. You’re all welcome.

ETA: I wonder if it’s still compatible with the Gadget. I’m guessing not due to the shape of the rear of the slide.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 01-20-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    That’s what I get for buying an MR918 a couple of months ago. You’re all welcome.

ETA: I wonder if it’s still compatible with the Gadget. I’m guessing not due to the shape of the rear of the slide.
    I don't know for sure yet but it is my understanding the only parts that are different are those for the extractor plunger. Hopefully that is correct and the Gizmo will fit.

Shadow Systems MR920

Zoomed in on this from Instagram. The slide cover plate looks curved to match the contour of the slide.

ETA: Shadow Systems replied when I asked on Instagram. They also don’t think it’s Gadget compatible due to how it was redesigned. I’ll be sticking with my MR918.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 01-20-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post

Zoomed in on this from Instagram. The slide cover plate looks curved to match the contour of the slide.

ETA: Shadow Systems replied when I asked on Instagram. They also don’t think it’s Gadget compatible due to how it was redesigned. I’ll be sticking with my MR918.
    Thanks for checking that for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wonder what'll happen with the 918. Will it be discontinued or will it continue alongside the 920?
    The just started to sell the "War Poet" for John Lovel which is a slightly modified 918. So you most likely see regular 918s still available.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...10.20_spiff1_1

Quote Originally Posted by Xhado View Post
    The just started to sell the "War Poet" for John Lovel which is a slightly modified 918. So you most likely see regular 918s still available.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...10.20_spiff1_1
    Interesting that the War Poet, being a brand new release, isn't on the 920.

The skeptic in me wonders if they aren't trying to use up leftover 918 parts...

Lifted from the Shadow Systems website:

The MR920 Elite is our top of the line pistol. This handgun incorporates everything we know about pistol design.
    The compact-sized MR920 Elite took its inspiration from its predecessor, the MR918 Elite. The DNA of the pistol is the same as the MR918, but there have been some significant changes to the features and function which make this pistol work for more people.

The MR920 features Shadow Systems new patent pending optic mounting system.
    The biggest news in this release is our new patent pending optic cut. By redesigning internal slide components, we relocated portions of the operating system allowing three key attributes:

The strongest, deepest screw placement in the industry

Direct mounting of several brands without intervening adapter plates

Extremely low optic placement permitting most optics to co-witness with typical iron sights

No past designs have combined all three of these game-changing attributes. The MR920 optic cut accommodates Trijicon RMR and SRO, Holosun 507c and 508t, Leupold Deltapoint Pro, Vortex Viper, and TruGlo Tru-Tec. The system will likely accommodate additional brands and optics; testing for optic compatibility is still ongoing. The new system provides versatility without compromise and even exceeds the strength of past Shadow Systems mounts that had a dedicated Trijicon RMR footprint machined into the slide.

The MR918 set a new benchmark for low recoil and controllability in rapid fire. The MR920 draws many of its design queues from the MR918, but the dust cover now includes a recoil control ledge for the support hand thumb. This control point further reduces muzzle flip in rapid fire. The frame of the MR920 continues to feature the NPOA backstrap system which adjusts the ANGLE of the backstrap to match the shooter’s natural point of aim. The pistol system includes three backstraps, a removable magazine well, and a backstrap removal tool for your convenience.

Our frame is a ground up Shadow Systems design, not a rebrand of another frame already on the market. Our tooling uses new technology to wrap more texture around the curves of the frame and put grip in places not normally seen on production guns.

The slide and barrel are machined in-house in Plano, TX. Barrels are 1-10″ conventionally rifled 416R stainless steel. Our bronze color barrels are coated in super hard Titanium Carbo-nitride or DLC. Slides are machined from 17-4 PH stainless steel and coated in DLC.
    Slides feature front and rear directional serrations. Elite models also feature window cuts, top serrations, and additional slide machining. These serrations provide excellent traction when manipulating the slide, but are relatively frictionless when drawing the pistol from a holster. The MR920 features deeply recessed front serrations and corner chamfers. This thinned front profile gives greater control and reduces the difficulty of inserting the pistol into a holster, particularly a partially collapsed IWB holster.

Our pistols are built for reliability and performance first. Our triggers are improved over a stock trigger, but leave internal safeties fully intact and use stock weight springs. You can expect smooth take-up and a super crisp break at 4.0-4.5 lbs.

User Tag List