Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: En route to the Richmond rally

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Derpa derp, missed it right in front of me. Thanks for the correction.
    No worries. The law has changed so much, it's tough keeping track of what is what.

FWIW, for anyone who needs to keep up to date, this is the latest version as of last night:
    https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...1+ful+HB961EH1

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    What time is this vote happening today?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    No clue. If you can stand the derp and tough talk, the vaguns subreddit seems to keep a close eye on things.

Chris

The Next California?

This article makes VA sound like the next "progressive" paradise...

https://apnews.com/55cdfed8d8f1bf661bc94f860a522fd7

Virginia emerges as South progressive leader under Democrats

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — In a state once synonymous with the Old South, Democrats are using their newfound legislative control to refashion Virginia as the region’s progressive leader on racial, social and economic issues. Lawmakers are on the verge of passing the South’s strictest gun laws, broadest LGBTQ protections, highest minimum wage and some of its loosest abortion restrictions, churning through landmark legislation on a near-daily basis.

The leap to the left has sparked fierce pushback from rural Virginians, social conservatives and others who are chafing under the political shift in the state, where a holiday honors Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson and monuments to those men dot the landscape.

“It’s like a jewelry store smash and grab,” Republican Sen. Bill Stanley said of Democrats’ strategy. “They’re going to grab everything they possibly can while they can get it before the lights go on and the siren goes off.”

It’s a breathtaking change after years of legislative inertia. Virginia has been a political outlier among southern states for a while, routinely electing Democrats to statewide office. But Republicans held a firm grip on the legislature until President Donald Trump’s election in 2016, which mobilized disaffected suburban voters and boosted Democrats in two successive legislative elections. They have full control of the General Assembly this year for the first time in two decades.

“It’s nice to finally be able to do what I think the majority of Virginians have wanted for a long time,” Democratic Del. Mark Levine said.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    The urban / rural process is going to increase across the country. WNY is gun friendly but dominated by the NYC politicians on gun issues. Unless, SCOTUS moves - this is the fate of the RKBA. OK, the RKBA is going to be limited except for states that don't have this demographic wave. However, the majority of the USA population will be under the new restrictions.

Here's a happy thought: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/o...gtype=Homepage

California Takes Revenge on Trump

The question is: Are they bringing California values — fierce defense of the environment, tolerance of immigrants and a multiracial society, insistence on universal health care — with them? It could be just demographic churn. But if you look at the changing politics of Nevada, Colorado and Arizona, all fast-growing states packed with new arrivals from California, the answer is yes. Texas may not be far behind.
    This is why I am adamant of not allowing cliches such as "I will defend the RKBA" with no action to be sufficient to worship a politician.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 02-15-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    What time is this vote happening today?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Senate Judiciary Committee will be hearing the bill on Monday morning at 8am as per VCDL.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The urban / rural process is going to increase across the country. WNY is gun friendly but dominated by the NYC politicians on gun issues. Unless, SCOTUS moves - this is the fate of the RKBA. OK, the RKBA is going to be limited except for states that don't have this demographic wave. However, the majority of the USA population will be under the new restrictions.

Here's a happy thought: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/o...gtype=Homepage

California Takes Revenge on Trump

This is why I am adamant of not allowing cliches such as "I will defend the RKBA" with no action to be sufficient to worship a politician.
    Texas and AZ may draw a different set of Californians than the pot paradise of CO.

Despite the cries of don't California my TX actual studies have shown that overall non-native Texans voted more conservatively than native Texans in the last election.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Texas and AZ may draw a different set of Californians than the pot paradise of CO.

Despite the cries of don't California my TX actual studies have shown that overall non-native Texans voted more conservatively than native Texans in the last election.
    Yep. People flee their original home states for any number of reasons. Some of them actually honorable.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yep. People flee their original home states for any number of reasons. Some of them actually honorable.
    One of the major reasons I’m leaving IL for NH. I’m not going to try and change their culture, I’m going because of it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Looks like HB961 was tabled until next year so we get a reprieve, albeit temporary! I believe that also means they'd be voting on it in an election year so hopefully that makes politicians a bit more wary about their voting habits.

Let me reiterate: the Virginia AWB Bill is dead for this year.
    #RESIST

User Tag List