Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: En route to the Richmond rally

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I just checked the NRA twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts. Not.a.single.mention. of the Virginia rally on any of it.

Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Because they weren't headliners.
    Or because they're nutless and afraid something would happen followed by bad press.

I read a decent account online yesterday, including quotes from a woman who had her coffee shop open. She spoke well of those in attendance.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Or because they're nutless and afraid something would happen followed by bad press.

I read a decent account online yesterday, including quotes from a woman who had her coffee shop open. She spoke well of those in attendance.
    Yeah, that's that Washington Post article I linked to in this thread.
    #RESIST

Saw a guy open carrying an AR, wearing this. It's $6.51, so...ORDERED.

https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Tread-Ra.../dp/B0083W32L6

Name:  410RakgrFML.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  18.0 KB
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

They dont even have post rally reports. In world of the NRA it never even happened.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-...n-rights-rally

The way the numbers break down here and the language used reinforces my belief that there was closer to 100k people over the day. Might be that the people in charge had an interest in reporting lower numbers or it might benign.

They say 6k inside the fence on the hill. I think they know that number precisely. So let’s take that as fact. They say 16k outside the fence. Maybe if they meant only the area immediately adjacent to the capitol on 9th and Bank streets, but that’s laughable as a mark for the entire group.

I walked the entire perimeter and then each street several times. I’m getting to old to walk with a pack all day 🙂 but it kept me plenty warm. Because of the heavy equipment barricades on cross streets and fencing, the crowd was canalized into the long arteries going quite a distance away from the capitol itself. From the vantage points we walked, you could see that the crowds in each of these areas was several times larger than the crowd inside the fence and easily as large as the 9th/bank street group. So taking them at their word on the 6k inside I would estimate double what they are saying.

Additionally, many people came for only part of the day. As an earlier poster did. From 9-1pm there was a constant stream of thousands of people coming and going up and down each main artery. On my walk back to the hotel, I passed at least 500 people just heading in on Cary as it was nearly over.

Maybe a snapshot of the crowd at any given time was 50k, but over the day I’d wager many more came and went. There were several contracted drone company vans and at least one news helo. I can’t find any pictures that don’t show a small sliver of the area or weren’t taken from the ground by attendees.
    Last edited by EPF; 01-21-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I just checked the NRA twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts. Not.a.single.mention. of the Virginia rally on any of it.

Why?
    The NRA has taken two to the chest and while it still has a pulse, things aren't looking good.

I thought I read in this or a related thread that the NRA was keeping a low profile regarding this event so as to not draw further negative attention? I suppose NRA involvement might have drawn more agitators willing to set off confrontation.

Site Supporter
    Now if you want to read one of lamest commentaries yet:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...symbol/605239/

What a wuss! BTW, did he forget that the Civil Rights marchers and anti War protesters of the past marched against the strong armed presence of a hostile government? In my youth, I recall seeing a line of more NYS troopers and Buffalo police cars that stretched seemingly endless down the streets near campus. Did the demonstrators go home? No.

One amusing side bar was that when the riot/demo went hair on fire, the demonstrators ran off campus into a very affluent area and the denizens enjoying Brie and Chablis were delighted to see H2H, tear gas going off and assorted mayhem by the gazebo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Now if you want to read one of lamest commentaries yet:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...symbol/605239/

What a wuss! BTW, did he forget that the Civil Rights marchers and anti War protesters of the past marched against the strong armed presence of a hostile government? In my youth, I recall seeing a line of more NYS troopers and Buffalo police cars that stretched seemingly endless down the streets near campus. Did the demonstrators go home? No.

One amusing side bar was that when the riot/demo went hair on fire, the demonstrators ran off campus into a very affluent area and the denizens enjoying Brie and Chablis were delighted to see H2H, tear gas going off and assorted mayhem by the gazebo.
    Perhaps what the author of said article didn't consider was that the pro-gun control side didn't turn out because they knew their numbers wouldn't be impressive enough to be newsworthy...so instead they stayed home and cried suppression

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I thought I read in this or a related thread that the NRA was keeping a low profile regarding this event so as to not draw further negative attention? I suppose NRA involvement might have drawn more agitators willing to set off confrontation.
    I thought I read something similar: that the NRA didn’t want to be seen as influencing or directing this movement so that people could see it was a grass roots effort. I don’t think that’s a bad idea but it still seems weird to me that the NRA doesn’t seem to be reporting about the events much after the fact.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List