Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Thoughts on what Trump should do for the 2A

So the reason I brought up a Civil War was due to articles like this below which is extremely serious and is why VA has 10's of thousands of protestors in the streets today. And while MSM is claiming Northam did not say he'd use the VA National Guard, the VA National Guard thought a response was necessary.

https://wset.com/news/at-the-capitol...guard-responds
    Va. rep. suggests military enforcement for new gun legislation, National Guard responds
    https://twitter.com/VaNationalGuard/...00257620152320
    "We understand and respect the passion people feel for the U.S. Constitution and 2nd Amendment rights. We will not speculate about the possible use of the Virginia National Guard."

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    So now I'm reading conflicting stories about this being true or not and why I may have thought it's worse than it is in VA:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ests-it-may-be
    Virginia National Guard responds after Democratic lawmaker suggests it may be needed to enforce gun control measures

Did Northam indicate he was going to use the state's National Guard to enforce confiscation?
    Last edited by Savage Hands; 01-20-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I remember that after Trump got elected the general expectation was that Reciprocity was a done deal. It didn't happen and it didn't come close to happening. Trump's White House was a disorganized mess in terms of transition and Trump was, and still is, willing to let Congress set the legislative agenda. He never put any skin in the game. According to him, it was the senate's fault that Obamacare wasn't repealed, not his. When the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress and there was a Republican president, Reciprocity would have been a slam dunk. Trump didn't give a shit and more importantly McConnell didn't either.
    You have to remember, there were (and are) a Republicans that don't like Trump. For instance, can you spell Romney?
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    You have to remember, there were (and are) a Republicans that don't like Trump. For instance, can you spell Romney?
    I voted for Romney. Wasn't he a Harvard grad, the governor of Massachusetts and now a US senator (R) from Utah? How's he going to vote in the impeachment proceedings?

I'm just pulling your chain here. It's all a made for MSM sham anyway. Trump will be the first impeached president in history to be reelected. History in the making as they say. I'll roll with it
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-20-2020 at 09:31 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    So if Trump isn't thrown out and is re-elected, will he speak something beyond the cliches or will he promote a legislative agenda (and tell Mitch to get on board with gusto), use the bully pulpit, techniques such as suggesting that states that do not support the Second Amend. will have aid and pork barrel legislation blocked?

I would suggest folks write their GOP legislators demanding that they drop the worship mode (Sen. Graham, are you listening?) and put his feet to the fire. I would suggest that the NRA (even the shrunken leadership) cut the crap of saying that their first priority is his re-election but is the enhancement of the RKBA situation. Say that support will flow to the legislators state and local but he can twist in the wind unless he steps up.

Strong legislators can protect against further laws as well as a President. In fact, Mitch should have had a Senatorial resolution opposing the Dump the Bump fiasco as on general principle. Yes, it is a stupid device.

I know the answer, so it is a rhetorical comment and suggestion set from a cranky old man on a snowy day. I don't give a crap about a cognitive dissonance laden debate about the Civil War. It's about as useful as someone pooping in their pants because I was mildly interested in USPSA competitors' view of carry guns (snark).

What Trump should do? Continue with his SCOTUS nominations, as reflected in Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. Prior to these seatings there had been no SCOTUS support for the 2A since "Heller" (2008) despite copious opportunities.

The Court has now heard NYSR&PA v City of New York, a case involving both the bearing of arms outside the home and interstate commerce in firearms. Subsequently, six cert petitions regarding the bearing of arms outside the home were heard and placed on hold:
    Rogers v. Grewal
    Gould v. Lipson
    Cheeseman v. Polillo
    Young v. Hawaii
    Malpasso v. Pallozzi
    Ciolek v. New Jersey

Additionally, three petitions relevant to commerce in firearms were held:
    Worman v. Healey
    Pena v. Cit
    Mance v. Barr

With now 9 petitions pending resolution based on the result of NYSR&PA, it appears that at the end of this term (June, 2020) the Court is likely to release an omnibus decision regarding "bear" which includes the pluperfect element of "commerce".

For those further interested, go to https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/18-663.html and click on "Case Documents" then "Docket Search". In the "search for" box, type in the case of interest (ex: Rogers v Grewal). Under "search results", click on the blue "docket number". This will take you the Petitions and Orders section. Scan down the list and click on the blue "Petition" link. Two or three pages in (depending on the Petition) you will find "Questions Presented". That is what the petition is asking the Court to decide.

There is some variation in the dockets depending on this and that, but the above is a robust model.

User Tag List