Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The effect of a low sun angle on red dot optics

Do Red Dots like T2 cope with low sun better?

Or support accessories that help?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Do Red Dots like T2 cope with low sun better?

Or support accessories that help?
    I have never seen Low sun angle / ghost dot issues with carbine optics whether Aimpoint style or EoTech style.

I noticed from your other thread that you seem to be lumping all red dot optics together.

There are reasons why there are different types of red dots for use on long guns versus pistols and they are better considered separately.

One is the weight of most carbine optics has a negative effect on reliability of the gun when mounted on a pistol slide. Another is that the additional G forces of being mounted on a pistol slide, can be hard on some carbine optics.

For example, while in the early days of pistol red dots, some people mounted Aimpoint micros (T1/H1) on pistol slides, the G forces would quickly break the rotating brightness adjustment of the Aimpoint micros.

That’s not a knock against the micros, it’s simply too far outside of what they were designed for.

I'm not very interested in Red Dots for Pistols, mainly revolver and shotgun and possibly as secondary option on rifle/carbine.

I thought the larger than pistol sized Red Dots would be better in multiple ways than the ones designed for pistol slides, other than not possibly not being suitable for the reciprocating stresses of being slide mounted like you mentioned

Out of all the dots Ive messed with, which weren't too many, the only one I couldn't replicate it with was the Steiner MPS (I wonder if thats because its inverted?)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Out of all the dots Ive messed with, which weren't too many, the only one I couldn't replicate it with was the Steiner MPS (I wonder if thats because its inverted?)
    I think it is because the emitter is top mounted. Unfortunately the top mounted emitter also seems make it visually “busy” when used with a target focus. Busy is not good.

User Tag List