Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The effect of a low sun angle on red dot optics

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Last weekend I was at the range shooting my Holosun 407CO (8MOA ring) as the sun was going down. The sun was directly behind me and at the worst possible angle.

I got an artifact that looked kind of like 3 bloomed dots clustered together at the very right hand side of the window. It was different enough from the reticle and also far enough away from it that I didn't have any concern of mistaking it for my reticle when drawing/shooting at speed. The 407CO is good to go with low sun angles for me.

It's remarkable how much more I like the CO reticle than anything else I have used, for everything from hosing to shooting from sandbags to long range precision. Really hope they add this reticle to more of their sights.
    Do you have an opinion about the auto brightness feature with the 407CO (8MOA ring reticle)? Do you think it's bolder (more useful) in auto mode than some of the other reticles, or do you just run it in manual mode?

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Do you have an opinion about the auto brightness feature with the 407CO (8MOA ring reticle)? Do you think it's bolder (more useful) in auto mode than some of the other reticles, or do you just run it in manual mode?
    For serious use I run it in manual mode, I just dont trust a computer sensor to do what I want personally. On my .22 I leave it in auto mode and it has been good to go on all range conditions I have used it in. It still will not work well if you are in a dark room shooting into a sunny outdoor space. Or if you use a WML in a dark room.

Fwiw, taught on an east-west oriented range in New England this past week with late winter sun angles. A couple of students with Trij RMRs found the dual dot experience in the morning (sun to right front) and afternoon (sun from right rear, low) as well.

Tried a rmr and 509t early this morning and when sun was going down in New Mexico.. besides some other personal issues I have been having with dots, it has me heavily considering going back to irons for now.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Tried a rmr and 509t early this morning and when sun was going down in New Mexico.. besides some other personal issues I have been having with dots, it has me heavily considering going back to irons for now.
    Did you have your issue with dot or circle dot?

We do have one gun kept irons only, seems beneficial to have for concealment and general size purpose

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Did you have your issue with dot or circle dot?
    I tried it again and didn't have as big of a problem. Let me try it tonight with the circle only and circle dot options. I saw your other message, a big thing for me leaning towards irons is the concealment part. The rmr on my 26 prints making the 26 harder to conceal than a p2000 with irons.

I had wondered about this with the Holosun 509T on my LTT / Lipseys HK USP 45s.

Any thoughts?

I find the 6 moa Holosun dots do well enough with low sun angles, but the 2 moa dots not so good, and I carry those in circle only.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I find the 6 moa Holosun dots do well enough with low sun angles, but the 2 moa dots not so good, and I carry those in circle only.

Started carrying circle dot in TX due to eps carry being washed out in TX sun and low sun angles

User Tag List