• USP Compact

20 24.39%
  • P2000

10 12.20%
  • P30

36 43.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Rehash - Is USP the Answer For Hammer H&K (Is P-Series An Actual Improvement)

Let's Rehash - Is USP the Answer For Hammer H&K (Is P-Series An Actual Improvement)

So, I'm tossing around the idea here because why not. Seems there would be an awful lot of fans in either camp, but I am curious what exactly puts you in one camp or the other. I have both (P30L & USP Full Size) chambered in .40, so I have developed some of my own feelings towards this matter which I will not share just yet. Also, VP is a thing now... and it's pretty slick and I think I've finally came to terms with how to approach it correctly. So pull up a chair beside the campfire and do tell, all the juicy details in your honest opinion.

For the current price is hard to choose a USP over a P2000 or P30. I like the size of the P2000 and the lack of a groove in the trigger guard, sight options are limited.

The bomb proof, overbuilt aspect of the USP is best suited for the .40 or .45. It’s overbuilt for 9mm and the gun cycles slow in 9mm.

The blocky grip of the USP doesn’t “feel” as good but for shooting I actually find it to be best for gripping the gun well.

Overall, I would go P30 if I wanted the best “do all” option.
    Last edited by AJD21; 01-18-2020 at 07:23 PM.

I was a USPc guy until I fired a VP9. My VP9 is the first choice for duty (If I still did that) or carry.

The P30 feels just as good in my hands, but I prefer the striker over the DA/SA or LEM.

As far as HK's go I only get the USP series and briefly play with the others. A general observation...

Grip shape/texture options, sighting and lighting options are basically the only advancements we've made on 90's pistol designs. Even then, only an improvement if they are actually the use/carry preference for whatever individual.

New is fun, older has some history and mystique.

The dual recoil spring that makes the FS USP 45 able to digest a wide spectrum of ammo, including Super, does the “pogo” in the USP FS and Expert 9 models.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I voted for my USPc9, with a TLG LEM trigger.

I like the USP grip better than the P30 or the P2000. The P2000 grip is not as sharp as the USP, it’s more like the HK45c. The P2000seems like a side step, the P30 is a step forward in features and has proven itself for high round counts. It has the decocker button and the Spider-Man grip. That may work better for some people. Nothing wrong with a P30.

But the USP has more trigger variants than either of the P’s. A USP can switch from LEM to DS/SA, can you do that with P30? You want a decocker or a safety, or both, you can have it on a USP. I think there 7 different trigger variants for the USP.

The stock HK parts, USP TLG LEM trigger has shorter reset, and not a bad break. Not a gamer trigger, but a practical trigger.

It cycles Underwood Leigh Extreme Penetrators.
    Dark Star and JMCK makes holsters for it.

Sight options are limited, are there more options for the P’s?

I owned a USP9F for 5 years, I rented a P30 once, and my vote was for the USP.

I really thought that I would fall head over heels for the P30, but I didn’t.

The big negatives for the USP during my time with it was that it was thick for a carry pistol, and the stock DA pull was tough. Knowing what I know now, I would have just had it swapped into LEM mode. The rail is obsolete, but adapters are out there. I never had an unintentional decocking.

I loved the grip shape and texture, the shape, size, and location of the controls, and the generally bombproof nature of the gun.

Before I rented the P30, I was excited about the ambidexterity, but the grip wasn’t as rough, it was more rounded than I liked for my index, and shape and size of controls just wasn’t as satisfying as the USP. That’s not to criticize the P30! Objectively, it’s got great controls and ergonomics, my hand just finds the USP friendlier. I could actually see putting USP Compact safeties and mag releases on the P30, and getting some custom grip work done, but I’d probably just buy another USP if I ever got back into
    HK.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the smooth USP trigger, much preferable to me than the serrated P30. Picky, picky.
    Last edited by Bergeron; 01-18-2020 at 11:47 PM.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I believe the reason HK still offers the different pistols is because there is no single, correct simple answer. If the caliber is .45 ACP, there is no P30 in that cartridge, making the choice easy. The P30 decocking lever is located in a much different place than the USP9. I prefer the USP9 location, but I prefer LEM models. If the decocker is needed, the USP9 is the better choice. If one wants to run the safety, the P30S is better because there is no ambi safety for the USP.

I have or had the USP9, the P30, and the VP9, and in 9x19, and, for me, the P30 is the best choice. The P30 cycles pretty much every 9x19 round without the recoil feeling two-stage. The short(er) slide and full-size grip frame work well with the round. The funny thing is that the P30L is not reliable with weaker 9x19 rounds that the P30 digests. The P30L is quite nice with heavier ammo. The one benefit for the VP9 is the longer sight radius, but that is offset by the lack of SCD for the VP9.

The P30 is hammer fired, making it safer to holster than the VP9. Then we get to the magazine release, and the P30's release is easier to manipulate. For me, the biggest difference is the grip. While others may like the USP, the ability to make the P30 grip circumference smaller is a big deal for me.

I prefer the P30; mine is a P30L in LEM. The ergos and trigger on mine are excellent. I view the P30 as a "product improved" USP. Obviously, the "improvement" is only as appropriate as the pistol individually fits a given individual-for me, it does, exceptionally well.

My VP is a .40(My P30L is also in .40). It's the fastest, easiest to fire pistol in .40 that I have. My preferences are for the P30L in LEM as a duty .40, and the VP40 for self-defense, hiking with my wife (it's an easy gun for her to operate to pass to her if necessary, and the leas punishing in .40) and IDPA (due to it's inherent shootability).

If I were to go to an HK in .45 ACP, I'd be very open-minded between the USP and HK45/HK45C. The proprietary rail of the USP is a non-issue for me, as I'm not interested in rail-mounted lights, so I'd simply choose the one with the best ergos-and I'd probably prefer an LEM version in my choice, which is available for all three.

Best, Jon

I'm far from a TDA guy and LEM is cool and all, but if I had the choose a TDA HK it would be the USPf as the ergos actually work for me. The P30 requires a swap of the slide stop levers to the S version and I don't like the rear decocking button. The P2000 requires the slim levers and ditto for decocking. The USPc is too small in the grip so the safety/decocker actually become uncomfortable quickly, however the USPc .45 would be the exception. Both the USPc 9/40/357 and P2000 have grips that are short enough (for me) that reloads can pinch and require a "tea pinky".

So for me (TDA versions):

USPf .45 --> USPf 9/40 --> USPc .45 --> P30 --> P2000 --> USPc
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

User Tag List