Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Vogel - 3.34 FAST

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Amazing how many GMs have tried and failed to earn a coin, then... And how many people who aren't close to GM status have earned one... In fact, even among the GMs who've won coins, not a single one of them earned their coin on their first try.

Talking about target size in a vacuum is meaningless. I'm sure every GM on the planet can hit a 3x5 at 7yd. So can a lot of C-class shooters. So can my wife, who'd be hard pressed to make Marksman in IDPA on her best day. It's the ability to do so consistently on demand at speed that gets tricky.
    I'm not saying it's not a hard target. It's a tight shot to hit at speed by any standard, quite fiendish really as it definitely prods you to go much faster than you're capable of consistently.

I'm not sure that we can't talk about at-speed shooting challenges in a vacuum though. I think to a guy that can shoot a plate rack at 25 yards in under 3.6 seconds and a Bill Drill under 1.6, a sub 5 second FAST drill isn't any special feat. Sub 4 seconds, that's getting pretty tough, sure. According to Ben Stoeger at least, 4 seconds is a really bad run for him.

I don't really think the classification of GM means anything when taken by itself though, certainly not when talking about a test like the FAST. That said I obviously have no idea who you've ran on the test and who has still failed to get coins, but I would argue that your average GM is only any good with race equipment at wide open targets inside 10 yards or so. Not running from concealment with service pistols at 3x5 cards.

Anyway, I'm really losing steam with this argument, no matter how you cut it it's still a really fun test, and a hard one for anyone to do well at. I shot it with my SIG from AIWB a couple months ago for the first time. My first run was a clean 7 or 8 or something because my slide didn't lock back. Second run was a 4.23 IIRC, -1 to the head just low. So obviously I wouldn't have gotten a coin on my first attempt either, but I also suck and aren't even a GM anyway
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

We are diminished
    As the F.A.S.T., the record, and the coins became better known (in huge part thanks to Dave Sevigny) a number of administrative controls were established to guarantee its continued legitimacy. Rather than be put in a position of saying I trust shooter-XYZ but don't trust the next guy who comes along and posts a video saying he did even better, the early coin holders agreed to establish the rule that "official" runs had to be done in person under various guidelines.

I don't doubt for a second that Bob's run was 100% legit. If we're ever on the same range at the same time, I'd be happy to run him through the F.A.S.T. and award him a coin. After all, I'd get more benefit out of Vogel winning my coin than he would, just like when Dave earned his.

I would argue that the average GM is good with most any pistol, using standard equipment, at any distance, on really tight targets, using concealment

Watching phenominal shooters do their thing always motivates me to work harder, be more critical, and deeply analyze my every motion.

Witnessing a consistent sub-5 second FAST run is impressive, seeing those like Dave S and Bob V shoot like that is almost a religious experience.
    *Every time a sub-5 FAST is done, an IED prematurely dets on an insurgent.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Watching phenominal shooters do their thing always motivates me to work harder, be more critical, and deeply analyze my every motion.

Witnessing a consistent sub-5 second FAST run is impressive, seeing those like Dave S and Bob V shoot like that is almost a religious experience.
    I agree. I am striving to make a sub 5 sec run and get a coin but I am a looooooooooong way off. As to the vid I watched it several times and it looksto me as if he looks down at his mag holder to get a mag and still does it at light speed.

Beautiful.
    #RESIST

We are diminished
    Awesome. I'm shooting 50 FASTs tomorrow.

If we all just get together and shoot the FAST, Afghanistan would finally know real peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    it looksto me as if he looks down at his mag holder to get a mag and still does it at light speed.
    I was able to pause it right at the reload and he is looking at the magwell.

Hippy's and the F.A.S.T.

Every time someone shoot's a sub 5 second F.A.S.T. a hippy's hacky sack goes down the gutter. Also achievable by eating a big juicy steak therefore I currently combat hippy's with knife and fork. But one day, one day.....

User Tag List