Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Vogel - 3.34 FAST

If I remember correctly, a certain person whose first name is Dave used an IDPA vest as a concealment garment setting the previous record.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Vol - he called it the "IDPA FAST drill" lol WTF?

That was fun to watch about 10 times so far. He leans back to reload up close. Interesting. And he's totally upright, nothing like the leaning into the gun to drive as I'm familiar with. Fascinating. And fast. LOL
    Bob has one of the strongest grips of any human being I know. And huge hands to boot, which seems to be a trait many top level GMs share.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    It's interesting to see that his presentation of the gun to the target is anything but a "press out". Also, he leans back slightly as he fires the four shots after the reload, which seems counter-intuitive.
    It's possible its just so fast it doesn't look like a press out.

Or, his index is just so good.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Vol - he called it the "IDPA FAST drill" lol WTF?
    I had the same reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    It's interesting to see that his presentation of the gun to the target is anything but a "press out".
    So was the case with Sevigny, I believe. These dudes have an insane confidence in their index, don't they.

Split time on 3x5 is pretty much the same as on 8 inch...is he really seeing the sights that fast or is he controlling the gun back to the index point with his 3.0 CoC grips?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Your man crush is adorable
    You don't know anything, go back to your Tanfoglio

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    These dudes have an insane confidence in their index, don't they.
    Yes, but that's not really what's at work here. More along the lines of refinement of index, the degree to which aligning your gun where your eyes are pointing has become second nature.

Split time on 3x5 is pretty much the same as on 8 inch...is he really seeing the sights that fast or is he controlling the gun back to the index point with his 3.0 CoC grips?
    Well, both, but seeing sights and calling shots, guaranteed. Especially at only a .23 split. It starts to get iffy below .20 and approaching .15/.16, which is about the limit for most people I think. But knowing exactly where your gun is going to end up is also important. These guys have put so many rounds downrange with their guns... they just know.

I don't mean to put down the usage of them as targets, but a 3x5 card at 7 yards - in terms of difficulty - is fairly low when taken in the context of serious IPSC/USPSA training. Really there's plenty of room for error. Put a partial target at 20 yds, with a 6" wide A-zone (or smaller in the case of the amoeba target), even an 8" wide mini popper that far away, it becomes much more difficult. I think I read a blog post from Ben Stoeger about how he was able to group shots 3" together at that distance running ~.25 or so splits in a practice session. Just insane. This is why I have no reservations with calling Bob the greatest ironsight practical pistol shooter in the world at the moment, because no one else (in their right mind) trains like this.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    3.0 CoC grips?
    So I need dry fire and grip work...
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    I don't mean to put down the usage of them as targets, but a 3x5 card at 7 yards - in terms of difficulty - is fairly low when taken in the context of serious IPSC/USPSA training. Really there's plenty of room for error.
    Amazing how many GMs have tried and failed to earn a coin, then... And how many people who aren't close to GM status have earned one... In fact, even among the GMs who've won coins, not a single one of them earned their coin on their first try.

Talking about target size in a vacuum is meaningless. I'm sure every GM on the planet can hit a 3x5 at 7yd. So can a lot of C-class shooters. So can my wife, who'd be hard pressed to make Marksman in IDPA on her best day. It's the ability to do so consistently on demand at speed that gets tricky.

Huge kudos to Bob for a 3.34, to be sure!

(edited to add: while I obviously wasn't there, at least in terms of equipment there's nothing in the video suggesting that anything is illegal; the SMF vest is fine, the pistol appears to be drawn from at or behind the centerline a la IDPA, as does the mag)

Todd,

just curious, but does Bob Vogel now hold the FAST record, or does he have to do something else for it to be official?
    http://thedownzerojourney.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GOP View Post
    Todd,

just curious, but does Bob Vogel now hold the FAST record, or does he have to do something else for it to be official?
    "Only scores earned during a pistol-training.com class or similar ptc-recognized event are eligible for record status or winning a F.A.S.T. Challenge Coin."

Which is interesting because it looks like Sevigny was all alone at the range for his record attempt (could be wrong! ).
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    "Only scores earned during a pistol-training.com class or similar ptc-recognized event are eligible for record status or winning a F.A.S.T. Challenge Coin."

Which is interesting because it looks like Sevigny was all alone at the range for his record attempt (could be wrong! ).
    Haha, I saw that but obviously also saw Sevigny get the record by recording it himself. I'm curious as to how the process works, as I doubt that either Dave S. or Bob V. need to prove their abilities to anyone, although the rules state that the record must be done in a ptc class. I think it's awesome either way, sick run!
    http://thedownzerojourney.wordpress.com/

User Tag List