Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCI Small Pistol Primers - Recurring Problems

CCI Small Pistol Primers - Recurring Problems

Since acquiring my XL650 (my first and only press), I've loaded 6200 rounds of 9mm. I've only used CCI small pistol primers. I've had the following issues with the CCI primers.

Primer stuck inside primer tube, on three separate occasions. In each instance, Dillon has sent me a new primer tube, and advised me to discard the tube containing the stuck primer.

Primer canted and stuck in the rotary primer disc, twice. The first time I removed the primer system and carefully dislodged the stuck primer. The second time the primer was extremely stubborn, and I couldn't dislodge it. Dillon is sending me a new rotary primer disc.

The Dillon customer service rep said that CCI primers were, at one time, known to be out of spec. He said they improved their manufacturing process, but he thinks I may have bad batch with poor concentricity.

At this stage I still have 1000+ CCI primers in my reloading room, but I'm tempted to switch to another brand.

Anyone else had these kinds of issues? Are there brands of primers known to be "better" or "best"?

Any info on date of manufacturing or lot codes?
    Taking a break from social media.

I use Winchester in 9mm, Federal in .38, either in .45. No problems like you describe. But then I did not have CCI primers stuck in the feed the last time I had some of them, either.
    Wolf was not reliable for me, I have not used other foreign primers.

I would complain to CCI and see if they will replace at least that last thousand.
    In the meanwhile, use Something Else.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Any info on date of manufacturing or lot codes?
    Lot number G31Z22. Purchased about a year ago from Powder Valley, if I recall correctly.

Have you tried any other primers? I have found different manufacturer's primers to be pretty standard in dimensions (diameter and height) so perhaps it's not a specific primer problem, but a press (or operator) problem...

CCI primers is all I use as they're my prefered primer. Never found a problem with those and I use SP, SR and LP. I don't use a tube however so that may be the problem. I load range brass exclusively and CCI fits every piece of brass I've slammed a primer into so the dimensions of the primer are GTG. They get a little sloppy in some brass but they always seat.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I think you probably got unfortunate and got a bad batch. All I use are cci primers in a Dillon 550B and RCBS turret. Only two problems I recall having with CCI out of thousands is one got lodged in the primer pickup tube and never got that unstuck and I had one primer inserted upside down which could have been my fault not having them all face the right way before I picked them up with the pickup tube.

CCI Small Pistol Primers - Recurring Problems

CCI primers vary a lot in depth. Observe how they fill a tube to different amounts. I’ve also had a few batches with irregular material at the base, causing sticking in the tube.

I use Federal for competition but still rely on CCI for everything else.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I've used 10s of thousands of CCI small pistol primers over the years with no issues. However....., the Dillon primer system has never been anything to write home about. It's always like a high maintenance companion, requiring lots of care and attention and cleaning or it will give you misery.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I got a decent sized bath of Federal primers before the recent run on reloading components. So far they're working fine, but I've only reloaded a few hundred rounds. I'll also do a better of job of cleaning my primer tubes and press. Time will tell...

User Tag List