Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCI Small Pistol Primers - Recurring Problems

I mostly use Magtech in my 650 without any issues except one, but it isn't the primers fault.

Do you ever have the issue where the decapper does not pop out the primer? It actually pops out the primer and pulls it back in but that is another discussion.

When this happens, the spent primer is still in the case, and indexes to the primer station. You push forward on the handle to seat a primer but the new primer bangs into the back of the old one because it didn't get removed. You reach in, grab the case and toss it back in the case feeder to go through the decapping process again.

When you pull the handle again, that "new" primer gets ejected into the little tray for recycling in with the new primers. Problem is, if you were putting a lot of force on that primer when you were trying to seat it, that primer is damaged goods and can get stuck in the primer tube when you go to pick it up again. I've seen this happen a couple times in thousands of rounds.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    the Dillon primer system has never been anything to write home about. It's always like a high maintenance companion, requiring lots of care and attention and cleaning or it will give you misery.
    The Hornady primer system is really no better. It requires more frequent cleaning than the entire rest of the press in order to run smoothly. I feel like the priming system is probably the weak point of a lot of presses.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I mostly use Magtech in my 650 without any issues except one, but it isn't the primers fault.

Do you ever have the issue where the decapper does not pop out the primer? It actually pops out the primer and pulls it back in but that is another discussion.

When this happens, the spent primer is still in the case, and indexes to the primer station. You push forward on the handle to seat a primer but the new primer bangs into the back of the old one because it didn't get removed. You reach in, grab the case and toss it back in the case feeder to go through the decapping process again.

When you pull the handle again, that "new" primer gets ejected into the little tray for recycling in with the new primers. Problem is, if you were putting a lot of force on that primer when you were trying to seat it, that primer is damaged goods and can get stuck in the primer tube when you go to pick it up again. I've seen this happen a couple times in thousands of rounds.
    I can totally envisage that scenario. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for that.

A related problem is the "ringer" where the decapping pin punches off the crown of the primer, leaving the sides in the pocket. I attribute it to chemically cleaned or weathered brass with the primer corrosion welded in place.

My old CH Autochamp had the most reliable primer feed but had so many other oddities and problems that it is rusting under the bench and reloading done on Dillons.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've used 10s of thousands of CCI small pistol primers over the years with no issues. However....., the Dillon primer system has never been anything to write home about. It's always like a high maintenance companion, requiring lots of care and attention and cleaning or it will give you misery.
    I just acquired a Dillon 550 in an estate sale buy and will probably stick with my Lee priming tools.They aren't perfect, but they work most of the time. Those primer tubes on the Dillon give me the willies. I prefer to see the primers as they are being channeled through the hopper. Sometimes a couple get flipped and it can be fixed before seating them if one pays attention.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I just acquired a Dillon 550 in an estate sale buy and will probably stick with my Lee priming tools.They aren't perfect, but they work most of the time. Those primer tubes on the Dillon give me the willies. I prefer to see the primers as they are being channeled through the hopper. Sometimes a couple get flipped and it can be fixed before seating them if one pays attention.
    I'd give it a shot (no pun intended) at least. The Dillon 550 is fast and safe.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Unless things have changed, you can send that unit to Dillon for updating, inspection, lubrication, etc. for very little money. May be worth the trip.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

550 stuff: I look at primers as the slide moves from the primer tube under the shell plate. If they flip I usually catch them. If they're flipping often, or getting launched, you need to fix that issue, which is usually the primer cup height. Another thing I did was switch to a 650 primer tube with the brass tip instead of the plastic 550 tips.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Smile More 500 primer sttuff:

Ended up finding a few @ Bass Pro. Midway was out along with quite a few other places.
    My birthday on the 31st (71) is coming and Midway has a birthday special price on some things from now
    until April 7 for me. Grabed some powder and bullits and called it good.

john

User Tag List