Thread: RFI Colt Agent gunstore find

RFI Colt Agent gunstore find

Stopped at a gun store today, and happened to see a Colt Agent in the case.

I admittedly know little about revolvers. What I do know, is this is a Colt D frame, 6 shot, .38 special with aluminum frame and small grip. I know they are discontinued and havent been made in a long time and parts sourcing can be difficult.

This example had an amazing DA trigger, and gorgeous bluing. The stocks were in great shape. If I didn't know better I would believe it was only a few years old. Agent was clearly marked on the snubby barrel. The ejector was not protected. The sights were plain, but useable. The shop didn't have a price, they had just taken it in and would have one shortly.

This struck me as a great deep concealment carry gun. Are there known issues? How are they viewed compared to the S&W J frames in terms of quality? The extra shot seems appealing, and it was very lightweight. The cylinder release is a bit less intuitive, but not crazy.

If it's a decent gun, I could take an old Iver Johnson .38S&W and an old turkey gun to do some horse trading.

-Cory

There will be those that say parts are too hard to find, they arent easy to work on, they this, they that. OK. I looked into Colts a while back and now have one. If youre an optimist, and dont mind tinkering with them a bit, buy, use and enjoy it.

If not, and its not crazy priced, let me know. They dont worry me, and I have plenty of small parts for Colts on hand to keep mine running if need be.

Edit: Id add that older Colt revolvers are probably more like older cars, if you only really want brand new plug and play stuff, they may not be a good fit, if you appreciate the age, craftsmanship, and tinkering a bit, they might be very enjoyable.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-17-2020 at 07:39 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Old D-frames are well made, but not meant for regular practice with +P ammunition. It’ll handle a fairly steady diet of 148-grain target wadcutters, but don’t expect to do high volume shooting.

Compared to a Smith, they aren’t as durable. But quality wise they are comparable. It is harder to conceal a 2” D-frame. The J-Frame is just that smidge narrower and it matters.

To check the lockup on a Colt is different than a Smith. Colt’s lock up when the trigger is pressed. To check it, cock the hammer back, then holding the hammer spur, press the trigger. Gently lower the hammer spur, while holding the trigger to the rear. With the hammer down and trigger held to the rear, gently wiggle the cylinder in a rotating motion. If the gun wiggles on any chambers, it will need service sooner than later. The “bank vault” lockup on old Colts should result in virtually no motion of the cylinder when the trigger is held. Be aware, any minor release of trigger pressure may unlock the action.

In my experience a D-Frame that locks up properly will easily be able to go several thousand rounds of 148-grain WCs or 158-grain LRNs without issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Old D-frames are well made, but not meant for regular practice with +P ammunition. It’ll handle a fairly steady diet of 148-grain target wadcutters, but don’t expect to do high volume shooting.

Compared to a Smith, they aren’t as durable. But quality wise they are comparable. It is harder to conceal a 2” D-frame. The J-Frame is just that smidge narrower and it matters.

To check the lockup on a Colt is different than a Smith. Colt’s lock up when the trigger is pressed. To check it, cock the hammer back, then holding the hammer spur, press the trigger. Gently lower the hammer spur, while holding the trigger to the rear. With the hammer down and trigger held to the rear, gently wiggle the cylinder in a rotating motion. If the gun wiggles on any chambers, it will need service sooner than later. The “bank vault” lockup on old Colts should result in virtually no motion of the cylinder when the trigger is held. Be aware, any minor release of trigger pressure may unlock the action.

In my experience a D-Frame that locks up properly will easily be able to go several thousand rounds of 148-grain WCs or 158-grain LRNs without issue.
    RevolverRob’s advice is perfect.

The size is sufficiently comparable to a J frame so that a D frame will fit many cheap J frame holsters, but if you plan to pocket carry, the little difference in size makes a big difference.

Plan on shooting little or no +P through this gun to preserve its usefulness.

HKS makes a specific speedloader size for D frames, but they will accept K frame speedloaders.

Some knowledgeable shooters will pay a premium to have and carry these lightweight 6 shooters.

If you ever choose to remove the hammer spur, think carefully before doing it at all, and if you proceed, leave as much metal as possible. D frames with spurless hammers are known to have light strike issues from insufficient hammer mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post

I admittedly know little about revolvers. What I do know, is this is a Colt D frame, 6 shot, .38 special with aluminum frame and small grip. I know they are discontinued and havent been made in a long time and parts sourcing can be difficult.

This example had an amazing DA trigger, and gorgeous bluing. The stocks were in great shape. If I didn't know better I would believe it was only a few years old. Agent was clearly marked on the snubby barrel. The ejector was not protected. The sights were plain, but useable. The shop didn't have a price, they had just taken it in and would have one shortly.

This struck me as a great deep concealment carry gun. Are there known issues? How are they viewed compared to the S&W J frames in terms of quality? The extra shot seems appealing, and it was very lightweight. The cylinder release is a bit less intuitive, but not crazy.

If it's a decent gun, I could take an old Iver Johnson .38S&W and an old turkey gun to do some horse trading.

-Cory
    Great gun, indeed. There is a document called "The Revolver Checkout" elsewhere that has what to look for in detail. The lockup that Rob discussed is key. (I passed on a Colt Trooper because of that.)

They are not +P guns.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Size.
    I pocket carried a J for several years, daily, as a carpenter. No holster, and with a speed loader in the pocket with it and 2 speed strips in the watch pocket of my Carhartt double front work pants. Town was same pants in black. When i got the Colt, it was a little larger in the pocket, but still fine, even with the pachmayr grips. I inherited a stack of LL Bean jeans. The Colt still works as pocket carry, though the pockets are a little smaller. I went to a milk jug holster primarily to reduce pocket wear-through on the front sight and edge of the barrel. i noticed right off when trying other pocket holsters that they rob you of pocket space badly, mainly in the depth of the pocket seeming to be reduced noticeably. In seeing a number of comments about fitting in pockets, this must play a major part. If i didnt mind repairing pockets more or had them covered in canvas when fresh, Id do away with the plastic holster again. I never had problems in the past in about 8 years of daily carry.

Putting your thumb behind the hammer spur when drawing helps reduce snagging greatly and isnt far from a shooting grip as you bring it out. I havent worked with it much as far as dedicated draw practice, but it became habit in normal handling.

In measuring, the Colt D seems about halfway between a J and a K Smith in frame and cylinder sizes.

if my budget allowed it, Id be building a small collection of D frame Colts of various vintages, for fun and using.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-17-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post

-Cory
    Darryl Bolke advised me, when I stumbled on one in the LGS. I would PM him the details.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My LGS had a MINT 1953 Colt Detective Special for sale, and I bought it a little more than a year ago. I posted my find here, and several people said “Colts go out of time without warning”. I carried it a bit, put maybe 50-100 rounds through it, and was scared to death that it would take a dump without warning. After caressing it nightly, I decided to sell it. Another forum member owns it, and he probably doesn’t care what people say about Colts. The extra was REALLY noticeable at the range, and gave the pistol an edge in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Darryl Bolke advised me, when I stumbled on one in the LGS. I would PM him the details.
    I didn't know enough about the revolver to properly check timing, so there really aren't any details past what I've posted. @Dagga Boy any thoughts?

I'm picturing this for AIWB or pocket in a workplace NPE with jeans and a polo. My job involves a lot of motorcycle riding, otherwise ankle would be another option.

I'm going to call them about the price today and see if they came up with one.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 01-18-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    My first concealed carry gun was a Detective Special. If I had realized how important pocket carry would become for me, it would have been a S&W 442 or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List