Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: If you can shoot a .45 well do you choose to carry one?

Central Texas by way of Northwestern New Mexico
    I currently carry a 5" Springfield Armory 1911 stoked with 230 gr Gold Dots. As soon as my M&P9 arrives from G and R Tactical, I will begin the transition process to the 9mm. I have made this choice for many of the same reasons stated above, but I'll list mine anyway:

Ease of use/follow-up
    Reasonable terminal performance with top loads
    Ammo capacity
    Modern design platform in the M&P
    Lower cost of ownership/operation
    Hopefully, with less recoil, I can finally get my wife interested

Also, I'm new here. Joined up after hearing good things about ToddG and pistol-training.com.

I look forward to learning from people who know WAAAAAY more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Notice the "in most circumstances" disclaimer.

Everyone knows that .45 is the only sane choice for hungry skunks...
    But definitely not for owls, if you are interested in one shot stops that is.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by scothill View Post
    but definitely not for owls, if you are interested in one shot stops that is.
    awesome

Name:  OWLS UNLIMITED.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  70.5 KB
    since December 2009

New here. What's Owls Unlimited?

Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    New here. What's Owls Unlimited?
    It's a mass quantity of owls.

I personally never got too caught up in the caliber debate. At various points in time I've carried on and off duty, 1911s, Sigs, Glocks and S&Ws. As long as I was well practiced and comfortable with the operating systems I felt confidently well armed. Being aware of your environment and being on top of the OODA loop to me is the most essential element of self defense and/or offense (work). In the end, being smooth, violence of action and putting rounds on a threat continously until it stops are the biggest factors in winning the day. IMHO caliber is not that important.

Well, I've been a long time carrier of the P30 and have recently acquired all the necessary equipment to transition to the HK45 Compact for my EDC. Why? I can shoot this gun pretty well, at speed, and overall - I like the design. The grip texture is a non issue for AIWB/IWB carry and another plus, I can still carry my P30's in the HK45c leather without issue. I've found this across the board when switching from P30 to the HK45c - the holsters seem to not mind the slight dimensional changes.

The grip is a lot easier to conceal when compared to the P30, especially with the flat base plates. As for the downgrade in capacity, it's a non-issue for me, I carry an extra magazine. The increased cost of ammunition is also not an issue, I don't mind paying for something that works for me.

the lesson of the wise owl is that caliber is no substitute for proper shot placement

User Tag List