Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you can shoot a .45 well do you choose to carry one?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I carry a 21sf so 14 rounds of .45ACP isn't anything to feel "under-gunned" with. Other than capacity (in some cases) is there any advantage to carrying a 9mm over a .45 if you are proficient with the .45?
    Smaller size is what took me to the G26 over the G30.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Smaller size is what took me to the G26 over the G30.
    I switched from the M&P .45 to the Glock 21SF in favor of the grip on the Glock. I had to add a hogue slip-on grip on top of the large back-strap on the M&P to get the grip size I wanted.

I switched from the M&P .45 to the Glock 21SF in favor of the grip on the Glock. I had to add a hogue slip-on grip on top of the large back-strap on the M&P to get the grip size I wanted.
    Grip size isn't my primary concern (I've got some big mits), but I wanted something thinner for better concealment. As a skinny dude, there's not a whole lot of room to hide a double-stack .45.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 03-17-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo
    my fingers for battle.

Grip size isn't my primary concern (I've got some big mits), but I wanted something thinner for better concealment. As a skinny dude, there's not a whole lot of room to hide a double-stack .45.
    I'm pretty thin as well, I'm not so thin I whistle when the wind blows but I have no gut hanging over my belt. I carry OWB

I'm pretty thin as well, I'm not so thin I whistle when the wind blows but I have no gut hanging over my belt. I carry OWB
    Hmm. I'd have to make some major adjustments to my wardrobe to do that.
    my fingers for battle.

When I carry a 1911 in Alaska, it is a Colt Delta 10mm, using Tripp magazines, and it has yet to malfunction with any ammo I have tried (Buffalo Bore and Corbon 200 grain penetrators, Corbon and Double Tap Barnes X bullets, old Black Talon, Hornady XTP's, Federal Hydra Shocks and Winchester Silvertips.) Interestingly, I have three Glock 20's, two SF models and one pre SF, none of which will run the 200 grain penetrator loads from Corbon or Buffalo Bore reliably, which kind of argues against the reason for a 10 mm Glock in Alaska. Interestingly, my wife carries a Glock 29, and it runs those 200 grain penetrator loads and the Barnes X bullets just fine.

When I do carry a 45 up here, it is an HK 45 with Ranger +P or the Corbon DPX +P ammo.

I choose to carry a .45 ACP pistol when:

-- The pistol design being used works best in .45 ACP (ex. 1911)

-- Intermediate barriers may be a common obstacle

-- Larger animals are a potential threat

-- When .45 ACP ammunition is provided for free in larger quantities than other calibers

-- When restricted by illogical, asinine regulations that restrict magazine capacity to 10 rds or less

Hmm. I'd have to make some major adjustments to my wardrobe to do that.
    Probably true, but carrying big heavy guns is more about having a good gun belt and having a holster that holds it high and tight than it is about the gun itself, imo.

That said I carry 9mm and would only carry a 45 if I were in a mag-limiting state like CA -- in which case I'd go single-stack 45, e.g. a 1911 (assuming I could carry at all in such a state).

Or you could go with the M&P 45 mid frame for such an application, or HK 45 or 45 C....

Quote Originally Posted by dravz View Post
    Probably true, but carrying big heavy guns is more about having a good gun belt and having a holster that holds it high and tight than it is about the gun itself, imo.

That said I carry 9mm and would only carry a 45 if I were in a mag-limiting state like CA -- in which case I'd go single-stack 45, e.g. a 1911 (assuming I could carry at all in such a state).

Carry a 45

I love my 1911 and shoot it pretty well but everyday carry it's just to big and heavy
    i prefer my kahr p9 or glock 23 for ccw

User Tag List