Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you can shoot a .45 well do you choose to carry one?

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that the terminal performance of .45 ACP in modern JHP loads is significantly better than similar loads of 9mm.

If I were concerned about animals larger than Homo Sapien where it might be a concern, I'd be looking toward something more along the lines of 10mm or .357 Magnum from a full-length barrel with energy levels in the 600-750ft-lb+ range as opposed to the 300-450ft-lb levels typical of 9x19/.40 S&W/.45 ACP.
    Many of the +P .45 loads mimic or surpass the 10mm. With the XTP bullet in question I think evenhill is correct. Those bullets as loaded by Hornady, especially the +P loads, typically waste effect on people by blowing all the way through with a lot of velocity retained, tests that I have seen indicate 18"-20" or more of penetration.
    Our issued +P 124gr Gold Dots typically go 15" in gel, and also typically exit in almost all of the OISs that we have had.
    On people I think the effect is wasted, but Doc Roberts notes the FBI testing that the .45 was in fact better at breaking large bones.

For me, around my AO, the 9mm will do anything I need it to do for duty and off-duty use. If I lived somewhere that had big bears I'd re-think things.

I feel a strong advantage of the 9mm is cost. I can shoot quite a bit more for the same price with 9mm.
    As someone with arthritis I also appreciate that the service sized 9mm gives less wear-and-tear to the shooter.

While many people profess to shoot the .40 or .45 just as well as the 9mm, I note that this is most often with a two hand hold on a flat range, on a warm spring day with a bright blue sky.
    One hand shooting, around a barricade/shield/car door/injured/from the ground/in the dark with a flashlight in the other hand/carrying a baby/dragging a wounded buddy, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that the terminal performance of .45 ACP in modern JHP loads is significantly better than similar loads of 9mm.
    Ditto. I've gone from a .45 to a 9mm. I'm not rabidly fanatical about either, my focus is on being a competent shot with whatever I carry

We are diminished
    If you can shoot a .45 well...

I can shoot a .45 reasonably well.

I can shoot a 9mm better.

Case closed.

35 years ago, I was a hardcore Colt .45 1911 guy who read Col. Cooper's books and wouldn't consider any caliber less than .45 acp for self defense.

That was a long time ago and as I've aged, I find that I can get more hits on target faster and more accurately with a 9mm handgun.

JHP ammo has evolved enormously since those days too. (Anyone remember Super Vel?)

I'm quite comfortable carrying 124 gr. +P Gold Dots in my HK P2000 SK today.
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

Site Supporter

TPD223

"While many people profess to shoot the .40 or .45 just as well as the 9mm, I note that this is most often with a two hand hold on a flat range, on a warm spring day with a bright blue sky.
    One hand shooting, around a barricade/shield/car door/injured/from the ground/in the dark with a flashlight in the other hand/carrying a baby/dragging a wounded buddy, not so much. "

Stop dropping Logic Bombs based on years of training and experience!!!

Cool

Carry guns are intensley personal. I carry a 1911 in .45 on duty and 99% of the time a 1911 in .45 off-duty as well. If I can't carry a 1911 for some reason, then I carry a G36 in .45. Yes, I do have other guns in .40S&W, but I just personally feel more confident with the .45 then any other caliber. Can't give you a scientific or logical reason, I just do.

If I were concerned about animals larger than Homo Sapien where it might be a concern, I'd be looking toward something more along the lines of 10mm or .357 Magnum from a full-length barrel with energy levels in the 600-750ft-lb+ range as opposed to the 300-450ft-lb levels typical of 9x19/.40 S&W/.45 ACP.
    The 10mm is a nice in between compromise that is indeed an upgrade from the .45, particularly with some of doubletap's loads. The only real choice in that caliber unless you have a lot of money for a custom 1911 is the glock, and I'm just not interested. It is a great choice though. I won't argue against that.

If I really want to be effective on animals (grizzly country mostly), I leapfrog the 10mm and go with the .41 magnum. 250 grain hard cast doing 1325.

I shoot .45 just as accurately as the 9mm, but not as quickly. On the other hand, I shoot .45 way more quickly than I shoot .41. Plus my .41 is a 5 shot. There's no free lunch in this world. Rather than bounce around between platforms and calibers for "in town" versus "woods" use, I've chosen to focus training dollars and time on a single caliber and platform. It's not the optimal choice for either scenario, but does a decent job of sitting on the fence between the two. Plus, if you run into trouble in the woods, do you know ahead of time if that trouble is going to look like a manned grow operation or the need to poach an elk? Again, it doesn't hurt my feelings to be sitting on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post
    With many advantages in capacity going to 9mm's and todays ammunitions choices, if you can handle and shoot a 45 well do you carry one?
    Yes I can, and No I don't, other than rare special occassions.
    is there any real advantage to doing so given todays choices in pistols and modern bullet design?
    Not in my opinion.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

With the current ballistics choices in 9mm, speed of recovery for multiple shots, mag size capacity, and ease of carry, I'm afraid I can't see (for me) any logical reason to carry anything other than the 9. i do love my 1911's, but for the reasons stated above, I carry a 9.
    "We do not rise too the level of our expectations, rather we fall to the level of our training"
    Archilochus, Greek Soldier

IMHO, there is nothing wrong in my books to carry the same system/caliber on or off duty for more than one reason. This works for .45s as well as 9mil or .40.
    I carry a .40 and I´m happy with my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jstephens202 View Post
    Carry guns are intensley personal. I carry a 1911 in .45 on duty and 99% of the time a 1911 in .45 off-duty as well. If I can't carry a 1911 for some reason, then I carry a G36 in .45. Yes, I do have other guns in .40S&W, but I just personally feel more confident with the .45 then any other caliber. Can't give you a scientific or logical reason, I just do.
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

User Tag List