Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you can shoot a .45 well do you choose to carry one?

If you can shoot a .45 well do you choose to carry one?

With many advantages in capacity going to 9mm's and todays ammunitions choices, if you can handle and shoot a 45 well do you carry one? is there any real advantage to doing so given todays choices in pistols and modern bullet design?

I'm curious to what the current thinking is on the topic.

Thanks.

Some people are issued .45's, and have no latitude in terms of what they carry for duty use.

Given the choice, I'd carry a 9 every day and twice on Sunday unless mandated otherwise.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 03-15-2011 at 06:30 AM.

I see no reason to unless I live in an oppressed state that has mag capacity limit laws.
    #RESIST

I carry a 21sf so 14 rounds of .45ACP isn't anything to feel "under-gunned" with. Other than capacity (in some cases) is there any advantage to carrying a 9mm over a .45 if you are proficient with the .45?

Kind of secondary decision: I still shoot and carry a 1911 at times. Since 1911s in caliber other than 45 are not recommended for carry, I am stuck with that caliber for as long as I continue to use 1911s.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I carry a 21sf so 14 rounds of .45ACP isn't anything to feel "under-gunned" with. Other than capacity (in some cases) is there any advantage to carrying a 9mm over a .45 if you are proficient with the .45?
    Yeah, if you have midget hands like me a .45 with a decent capacity is pretty much out the window.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Half of the reason I carry is daily forays into the backcountry every morning. I trust Hornady XTPs in .45acp more than anything available in 9mm if the target in question is bigger than a human.

Plus... I'm a 1911 guy.

If somebody else is paying for my ammunition and they insist.

Quote Originally Posted by evanhill View Post
    I trust Hornady XTPs in .45acp more than anything available in 9mm if the target in question is bigger than a human.
    I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that the terminal performance of .45 ACP in modern JHP loads is significantly better than similar loads of 9mm.

If I were concerned about animals larger than Homo Sapien where it might be a concern, I'd be looking toward something more along the lines of 10mm or .357 Magnum from a full-length barrel with energy levels in the 600-750ft-lb+ range as opposed to the 300-450ft-lb levels typical of 9x19/.40 S&W/.45 ACP.

I'm going back to 45 from nine. I do think round for round 45 is a tiny bit better. It is also more forgiving of old tech ammo. Where I live 40 and 45 premium ammo is a lot more available than 9x19 premium ammo. In fact sometimes it has been years between batches of premium nine. So if I'm stuck with pmp or magtech hollowpoints or ball the bigger ones do make me feel better.

I have to reload for both so the difference in ammo price isn't huge.

I still recommend the nine for new shooters because I think the fact that it is easier to shoot is far more important for someone starting out.

From your perspective, it makes alot of sense to go with a larger caliber, esp where modern JHP designs are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I'm going back to 45 from nine. I do think round for round 45 is a tiny bit better. It is also more forgiving of old tech ammo. Where I live 40 and 45 premium ammo is a lot more available than 9x19 premium ammo. In fact sometimes it has been years between batches of premium nine. So if I'm stuck with pmp or magtech hollowpoints or ball the bigger ones do make me feel better.

I have to reload for both so the difference in ammo price isn't huge.

I still recommend the nine for new shooters because I think the fact that it is easier to shoot is far more important for someone starting out.

User Tag List