Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 5924 9mm used with decocker

S&W 5924 9mm used with decocker

I check-out Ed's Gun Shop website daily. Full disclosure, I have bought firearms from him over the years, but he wouldn't know me if I walked through the front door.

While checking out his new/used update, I saw the above captioned firearm. The link is to the photo. The unique feature is it is a decocker with no slide safety and a bobbed hammer. My assumption is that it is a DA/SA with the decocker to make the pistol safe.....like the Sig P series. Never have seen one before. Perhaps it was a departmental special order. Enjoy!

https://edsgunshop.com/product/used-sw-5924-9mm-pistol/

The story I've heard a couple of times is these were built for a largish European police agency that was familiar with the Sig pistols and wanted a decocker that was the same. I recently saw one go up for sale locally and they were asking a fair bit more than the listed price.

Other than the decocker and associated linkages they are all S&W Gen 3 internally.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    The frame-decock design 3rd Gen S&W was actually the result of a collaboration with the FBI in the late-80's shadow of the Miami shootout. I had read years ago they wanted the frame decocker so that it mimicked the Sig's in operation.

I've only actually seen one 9mm version, but don't recall ever seeing (or hearing of) a .40 version.

My first duty pistol in 1993 was a 5946, and at some point I've also carried a 4046 and a 4506. The 3rd Gen guns weren't sexy, but they were built like (and heavy as) a tank...and would probably feed and fire rocks if you loaded them in the magazine.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/fb...bscure-desire/
    Last edited by kwb377; 01-17-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    That's kinda tempting for a quirky/fun gun
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Never seen the blued version but owned the stainless version. I did not care for the grip and where that decock lever was and sold it off. There was a recall on those because of a defect in the design of the decock mechanism and there is a a marking, I am thinking it was a stamped dot and I think a "P" or something like that one the frames of the ones that were fixed at the factory.

That is a rare variant. I suspect he has that thing very underpriced for what a S&W gen 3 collector would be willing to pay.

The M5924 is a relatively rare 3rd Generation S&W, mostly because S&W's execution of the SIG-style decocker had a few issues. The pistols were recalled at least twice, and each recall was marked on the pistol with a dimple under the decocking lever where it is located at rest. The design was a kludge, originally done for the FBI, as the S&W lockwork was not well suited for this type of decocking mechanism. The last one I saw was almost NIB and sold for $750 back in 2015.

Here is a thread here on one. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....W-3rd-Gen-5924

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    The frame-decock design 3rd Gen S&W was actually the result of a collaboration with the FBI in the late-80's shadow of the Miami shootout. I had read years ago they wanted the frame decocker so that it mimicked the Sig's in operation.

I've only actually seen one 9mm version, but don't recall ever seeing (or hearing of) a .40 version.

My first duty pistol in 1993 was a 5946, and at some point I've also carried a 4046 and a 4506. The 3rd Gen guns weren't sexy, but they were built like (and heavy as) a tank...and would probably feed and fire rocks if you loaded them in the magazine.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/fb...bscure-desire/
    Shut your mouth! The 4506 is so cool you can feel your testosterone levels rise simply by picking it up and chicks dig it pal!.

The S&W frame mounted decocker is a bit of an abortion and I avoid those models.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-17-2020 at 10:45 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Shut your mouth! The 4506 is so cool you can feel your testosterone levels rise simply by picking it up and chicks dig it pal!.

The S&W frame mounted decocker is a bit of an abortion and I avoid those models.
    The 4506 I had raised my T levels significantly. Mostly because a good session practicing drawing that heavy thing made for a good workout, haha. I’ve had a few third gens over the years. If Smith still made them, I’d probably consider one of the alloy framed 9mm models for SD. Every one I ever used was reliable and quite shootable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The 4506 I had raised my T levels significantly. Mostly because a good session practicing drawing that heavy thing made for a good workout, haha. I’ve had a few third gens over the years. If Smith still made them, I’d probably consider one of the alloy framed 9mm models for SD. Every one I ever used was reliable and quite shootable.
    Exactly. You can train and work on your "guns" all at the same time. The thighmaster ain't got nothin' on the 4506.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

Agreed, except for the 1076. It works well for me with that frame and dimensions. I owned a 5924 and it felt awkward.
    Last edited by medmo; 01-17-2020 at 11:02 PM.

User Tag List