Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther Q4 Steel Frame

Site Supporter
    This definitely piques my interest. I like the idea of adding a steel frame to a striker-fired pistol--I'm sure it shoots freakin great. I get the impression the P99/PPQ family of guns are kinda "sleepers" in terms of their accuracy and shootability--I was definitely surprised (pleasantly) by the P99c I shot a while back. To me, it was in another league compared to most other striker fired guns. But I will say it was pretty snappy... certainly 40 oz of steel would fix that. Plus, I'm sure the grips/texture are far superior to bare plastic.

Only thing...

The PPQ trigger is just too light for me without a safety. It's a sweet trigger. But it feels like a straight-up single action to me. At least the one I tried did. I kinda wish they'd introduce the steel frame with the P99 system (ie, decocker). But I'm fairly certain that'll never happen. Neither will a safety. So... probably not gonna be for me. But I like it. And I like the idea.

I get steel frame for a game gun, but unless the four inch is aimed at that market, I am puzzled why someone would want a Rey heavy striker, since lightweight is generally a virtue of strikers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I get steel frame for a game gun, but unless the four inch is aimed at that market, I am puzzled why someone would want a Rey heavy striker, since lightweight is generally a virtue of strikers.
    It is definitely an odd duck. I'd rather they sold just the frame for people that have 4in PPQ's to play with. Think it would sell better than the full-on pistol and also eventually sell more of the Q5 slides they released.

Walther insider told me they were releasing something very exciting this year and I'm hoping this wasn't what he meant.

I think the popularity of striker fired triggers is going to continue moving beyond the typical $500 duty polymer frame gun. The reality is that Glock forever created an associate of striker fired=polymer but DWM and several other companies sold millions of striker fired Lugers before Gaston was even born.

Sacred cows will be sent to slaughter. The 1911 was a .45 gun for 100 years but is moving towards being more of a 9mm option if it hasn’t already. Why? People wanted 9mm but they wanted a 1911 too so worlds collide.

Same thing is happening with striker fired. People who love striker fired guns also want them in a steel frame.

Overall it’s a niche market but I’m excited to see the striker fired gun move into new areas(or really old ancient forgotten areas).
    Last edited by AJD21; 01-18-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    The poly PPQ has a better grip for me than other guns. But the steel frame is even better. The weight of the steel frame "tames" the recoil and muzzle flip quite a bit. So the 4" could very well be something that would suit me for EDC. With a good belt weight is not that much of a factor for me.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

This is just too weird for me to get my head around. I think we are slowly devolving.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    ...The PPQ trigger is just too light for me without a safety. It's a sweet trigger. But it feels like a straight-up single action to me...
    That's because the PPQ trigger is a single action trigger. A two stage, single action trigger. It's no worse than a Glock. Carry it in a holster that covers the trigger guard (just as any handgun should be) and it's as safe as any other striker fired handgun. I've been carrying a PPQ for a few years now and have shot it enough to need to replace the action spring with an upgraded version and round the corners off the original sights.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I’d like to shoot one. The full size Walthers I’ve shot had a disproportionately heavy/sharp recoil impulse, but shot very well.
    #RESIST

I am really wanting to like this, but some of you guys are raining on my parade. And... I am old enough to know by now that "early adopters are human guinea pigs."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    ...Only thing...

The PPQ trigger is just too light for me without a safety. It's a sweet trigger. But it feels like a straight-up single action to me. At least the one I tried did. I kinda wish they'd introduce the steel frame with the P99 system (ie, decocker). But I'm fairly certain that'll never happen. Neither will a safety. So... probably not gonna be for me. But I like it. And I like the idea.
    The trigger has the same pull weight as other triggers, about 5.5 lbs. The reason it feels light is it is smooth. It also has a crisp break and reset, which is a big plus for me. I haven't heard of many 1911 shooters complain that a 1911 trigger is too light. Maybe with use a person could feel comfortable with the trigger. I have shot Walthers for a long time and now other triggers are disappointing to me.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

User Tag List